Macklemore admits to white privilege and says he needs to know his place in Hip-Hop

Options
1235»

Comments

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Black folks didn't give up a damn thing. We kept it moving and evolving. The music always changed form. White folks just johnny come lately and over do it but we been on to the next thing. At least, it used to be like that. It's why you the blues turned into Jazz, R&B, Funk, Soul, Disco, House and Hiphop. I have issues with the history being obscured regardless of that fact. The entire time, white folks have been writing the history their way and telling us we didn't do ? . Our kids come to believe that no matter what you tell them, because the narrative is that pervasive.

i don't think modern R&B has evolved it has gone ass backwards in the black community. Same with modern day hip hop compaired to the 80s and 90s the majority of that ? has gone ass backwards and fell off. We clearly gave up Rock blues and jazz to the point where black people started thinking it was some crakka ? to listen to blues or rock. Again go to a Gary Clark Jr show or a BB King show or a Buddy Guy show its mostly white folks in the same city where 95% of the bobby smurda show at the local club is black.

? even at my job that is mostly people under 40 it was a few white dudes who went to the Stevie Wonder songs in the key of life show in boston. I know older black folk were probally at that show but not many younger black folk.

The one think white folk do is explore everything from music to history. ? some white folk know more about black history than black people. While at the same time a considerable amount of black people don't even know the roots of black music and history. On this site yes many people ? with music. But the average joe doesn't know what black pioneers were in blues and rock and help develop advances in distortion and song writing. Myself included until 5 years ago when i started learning guitar and blues and rock.

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    LOL we're gonna pretend like Black people took over basketball when every team owner except 1 is still white and every NBA commissioner has been white since the NBA's inception? White people are still the gatekeepers of basketball..Black people aren't the gatekeepers or Rock, Country, Jazz ..

Black folk run basketball. Period.

They may not make up the owners in the NBA but if every black player & coach left the league to start their own all black league it would ? on an all white NBA.

Same with football.

Start an all black league with what wealth/capital? Just because Black players are the most marketable (exploitable) doesn't mean they "run" anything. "Run" implies power. The Black players in the NBA and NFL don't have power.

All i ever hear on this site is talk about needing our own. Build our own...

If the black players left the league it would be all over for the NBA. People would still love basketball and would pay to watch an all black league.

They make up like 80% of the league so i can say they "took over" imo

"If"

How did they take over when they only see a small fraction of the revenue that they're generating?

Hypothetically speaking if they were to pool their resources and have a mass exodus from the NBA to form a new league, that would be great. But let's not act like there wouldn't be a fresh new batch of willing Black players that would eagerly replace them. The NBA would just use their vast marketing dollars to create new stars.

And there would be no sudden leaving. These ? are under contract.

Coby made 30milli and u call that small revenue? U must not know how much it cost to keep the NBA up and running?

Now bruh you KNOW majority of them ? ain't getting Kobe or Lebron numbers.