traestar wrote: »
    bdbdbd wrote: »
    traestar wrote: »
    Finished that course. I actually use a variety of different coding sites:

Freecodecamp.com now
    Datacamp.com
    Coursera
    Edx
    Nearly finished the coursera one, spent half a day tryna finish one assignment, but it was worth it, feel like I've turned a corner. Out of the ones you mentioned which would you recommend ?

Well I've been heavy Udemy since day one. That's first. But I really like Coursera's programs, because it really feels like a bootcamp. I'm about to try freecodecamp soon and see what they are about. Data Camp is more for Data Science people who want to code with R, Python, MongoDB, etc.

Edx is good too, very similar to Coursera but I like Coursera better.

Good looks...
    Yeh that udemy looks cool but I see you gta pay. Might hold out on that for now, get through all these free courses before I start spending money

Yea I've brought alot of courses on Udemy, I really like some of them. When I first got started, I didn't see the investment in those courses because it was so much for one course. When they started having course deals at $10-$30, I was snatching courses left and right. For me, especially running a small business, I need a course to learn something fast and convenient. And Udemy fits my bill.

The MOOC course websites that I've provided here are more focused on a particular subject or tasks and they are similar to taking a class with real assignments.
  • 1800skypager
    1800skypager Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to teach myself C. Where do I begin?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So i need to learn python, any good resources?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    if im in networking should I learn about programming?

It's beneficial to:
    1. Learn a basic scripting language (don't need to be an expert)
    2. Learn about virtualization at a high level

1. If you wanna be in networking and work in IT or other related software engineering fields (I.e., working for the network hardware/software companies that make the products), having automation skills using scripting languages, like Python and Expect in your background will definitely make you stand out from the crowd.

Essentially, network management softwares boil down to backend automation and data collection. If you are a consultant many times you'll run into customers who don't have the money to invest in them and using automation, you can provide a framework for their future device installations. There are also instances where u can use scripting along with SNMP as well as EEM (very beneficial, in real world environments) to provide many networking aware scripting opportunities for your clients. Beyond IT and as far as network software companies themselves..like say Junip*r or Extrem* (randomly picked) depending on your role, even if you aren't a software developer, you may need to know this for automating repetitive tasks.

Python is good to know. A lot of companies still use older technologies like TCL and Expect or Perl to automate networking things but Python is where things are heading.

2. To the second point...A lot of networking is now virtualized. Having at least a fundamental knowledge of how VM ESX work and Hypervisors will help you.

Good looks python seems to be the general consensus
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bro there is an amazing course on Coursera called Python for everyone by Dr Charles Severance from thr university of Michigan (I think I got that right).
    Anyway, teaches you all the basics you need to know and it's free, gave me enough knowledge to do a lil webscraping, and I managed to figure things out he didn't directly teach me based on the knowledge he provided....if that makes sense.

• Bcotton5

Bro there is an amazing course on Coursera called Python for everyone by Dr Charles Severance from thr university of Michigan (I think I got that right).
    Anyway, teaches you all the basics you need to know and it's free, gave me enough knowledge to do a lil webscraping, and I managed to figure things out he didn't directly teach me based on the knowledge he provided....if that makes sense.

Def gonna look into that good looks
  • Bcotton5

im on coursera right now they want 373 bucks for that course lol
  • Bcotton5
    nvm I enrolled for free
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm learning python right now @Bcotton5 Check out Derek Banas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjAHQERL08

Subscribe to his channel. He has tutorials for other programming languages as well.
  • Bcotton5
    edited June 2016