‘American Horror Story’ Season 5 Will Be A ‘Large Reinvention’ Of The Series

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
american-horror-story-season-5.jpg

American Horror Story has had its share of ups and downs over the last four seasons. However, even though the series already exists in an anthology format, new information is now pointing towards a far greater change than usual heading into season five.

Every season of the show since Asylum (season two) has arguably felt more and more like a premise over character story. (“How about a house full of witches?” “What about an entire season set at a Freak Show?”) Unfortunately, because of these one note premises, there’s a fair argument to be made that the series is suffering from a severe lack of interesting characters who can sustain for the 13-episodes required of them.

At the TCA winter press tour over the weekend, FX Networks CEO John Landgraf indicated that American Horror Story season five might be making some changes that will help the show as a whole improve, in this respect. Here’s what he said (via TVLine):

I know what [the premise for season 5] is, but I can’t [say]. I have to let [series boss] Ryan [Murphy] do his thing on that. But it’s very different.

Landgraf went on to add:

One of the things I love so much about that is that it can be radically, radically reinvented in terms of tone, setting, period, characters, cast… I think there’s going to be an unusually large reinvention in between Book 4 and Book 5 relative to, say, between Book 3 and 4.

So what could Landgraf mean by “large reinvention?” He did go on to hint that season 5 may return the series to a present day setting (as has been the case with the odd numbered “books” since the beginning), so that’s presumably not the “reinvention” he referenced. Maybe it has something to do with style and genre?

Perhaps next season could dive into some science fiction elements, for example. We’ve already watched Ryan Murphy take the show to supernatural levels on multiple occasions – going so far as to devote an entire season to the technique with Coven – so introducing science fiction into the show wouldn’t be that much of a stretch. In fact, technically the show has already broached that genre before, with the alien subplot in Asylum.

A “large reinvention” might be exactly the kind of kick in the rear the show needs to return to the insane – but structured – nature of Murder House. Agreed?

American Horror Story airs Wednesdays at 10/9c on FX.

Comments