'X-Men' Live-Action Series

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
'X-Men' Live-Action Series in the Works at Fox

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/x-men-live-action-series-767143

1/26/2015 by Lesley Goldberg

With '24's' Many Coto and Evan Katz overseeing, and 'Star Trek 3's' Patrick McKay and JD Payne writing.

x_men_days_of_future_past_a_l.jpg
An X-Men TV series could be coming to Fox.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network is having preliminary conversations to adapt the iconic Marvel comic series — and feature film franchise — as a live-action television series with 24 producers Evan Katz and Manny Coto involved.

Fox's potential live-action series is being penned by Star Trek 3 writing duo Patrick McKay and JD Payne, sources tell THR, who will share a created by credit on the project with Katz and Coto. Katz and Coto will serve as showrunners.
Fox declined comment on Katz, Coto, McKay and Payne's involvement.
Read more Fox Mulling More '24,' 'X-Files,' 'Prison Break'

Fox studio counterpart 20th Century Fox owns the rights to the film franchise (with seven features already released based on X-Men characters). While conversations to bring the franchise to the small screen are under way, sources indicate a deal is far from complete with Marvel — which owns the comic rights — still having to sign off on the deal. The comic book powerhouse is based at Disney, with ABC shows including Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter on the network and five upcoming straight-to-series programs in the works there. Marvel would have to sign off on the deal.
TV Insider first reported theX-Men news.

The potential X-Men series comes as Fox, under television group chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman, noted that the network has also had conversations to revive The X-Files with Chris Carter as well as a limited run of Prison Break.

The network currently does not have plans for another run of 24 as a limited series, but has heard a pitch for a potential revival in 2016 — with our without star Kiefer Sutherland.

Considering the quality of mutant based products that Fox puts out, should we be happy or does our frustration with Fox and the butchering of the "Strangest Heroes of All contines?

Comments

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd be surprised if Marvel/Disney lets this go through
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »

How are they going to stop it? Fox owns the rights to the characters.

• Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll be interested in seeing what Marvel says when they ask them to sign off on it. Need to be taking some creative rights n characters in exchange
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let Netflix handle that ? . I don't trust these regular ass networks like fox with something like this.
  • jee504
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »

How are they going to stop it? Fox owns the rights to the characters.

Then why meet with Marvel in the first place?
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought Fox owned MOVIE rights. That shouldn't include TV rights.
  • jee504
    Options
    I thought Fox owned MOVIE rights. That shouldn't include TV rights.

That's why I thought Fox met with Marvel because of your statement.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They ain't learn from Generation X?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fox did produce the animated 90s show, but still, that was a long time ago. Hopefully Marvel has learned their lesson after the movies. The only way they should let this happen is if Fox gives them back movie rights.

It honestly can't be any worse than Agents of Shield.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just curious as to what deems someone an "X-Man" character because even tho Fox has the movie rights to that franchise, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in the new Avengers movie.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just curious as to what deems someone an "X-Man" character because even tho Fox has the movie rights to that franchise, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are in the new Avengers movie.

From screenrant

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are the mutant children of X-Men villain Magneto and so they fall under the film license agreement Fox has over all mutant characters. They’re exceptions to the rule however, since they’ve also been main characters of The Avengers  in the comics so Marvel Studios can technically use them as well, albeit with certain restrictions.

Everyone Fox can use:

Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [Blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [Bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [Silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking forward to this
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That was more or less a deal between Fox and Marvel. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are primarily Avengers, but they are also mutants, so that kinda puts them in a unique position.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gotta be f-ing kidding me. Judas Priest.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd rather they brought back the X-men anime.....it wasn't great but it looked like it would get better with time