NBA: The next tier of GOATS

Options
dallas' 4 eva
dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
We always talk about who are the top 10 greatest NBA players, I feel like it should really be a list of immortals(aka gods amongst gods) who even amongst the best stood out. After the immortals though who are the list of the next GOATS the ones who come after them, while quite not upper tier of immortal have still earned their spot as a paragon of the sport.

Let's assume the immortals are as follows(no order):
Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Wilt
Larry Legend
Duncan
Russell
Shaq
Kobe
Hakeem
Lebron
(Excluding KD cause we all know he has the talent but not the accolades to be considered a ? amongst gods).

After this where, how, and why would you rank the next tier? Where do the Dwyane Wade's, Kevin Garnett's, the Hondo's, Moses Malone, Dr. J, Bernard King, Oscar Robertson's, Dirk Nowitski's, Allen Iverson's rank?

Me and my potnas was ? the other night and ended up arguing this and it turned into a good debate and I don't think it has been talked about enough.

Comments

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is Oscar Robertson not considered an immortal? Dude was one of the first big guards and he dominated at his position. He has to be considered in the top half for averaging a triple-double for an entire season WITHOUT a three point line.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ "Allen Iverson's"
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    How is Oscar Robertson not considered an immortal? Dude was one of the first big guards and he dominated at his position. He has to be considered in the top half for averaging a triple-double for an entire season WITHOUT a three point line.

This. Don't forget about Oscar in front of Basketball OGs like Sonny Hill, they will clown your ass lol.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You forgot to put Pippen & Rodman in the immortals category
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn no Cousy or Pistol Pete... no Isaiah
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh y'all are missing the point it's a discussion that's why I aint out them there.
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    replace wilt with oscar.. wtf is hondo's?.. d wade 3rd tier
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    replace wilt with oscar.. wtf is hondo's?.. d wade 3rd tier

Replace Wilt?

Arguably the greatest of all time?

GTFOH
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You have to include the 1950s/1960s Celtics. They won 11 championships, 8 in a row. They had;

Bill Russel
    Sam Jones
    John Havelchik
    Bob Cousy
    Tom Heinson
    KC Jones
    Jim Luscutoff
    Frank Ramsey
    Satch Sanders

Granted, there weren't as many teams in the league but you still have to give them top tier status.

Also in the modern era Robert Horry. he has 7 rings.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Special-Man-Anthony-Davis-jpg.jpg

He can leave that country ? in New Orleans when he returns to Chicago after his rookie deal expires
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Special-Man-Anthony-Davis-jpg.jpg

He can leave that country ? in New Orleans when he returns to Chicago after his rookie deal expires

FOH that ? bout to get locked up to a long term deal. Yall enjoy Rose and yall coach overworking yall in sucide drills.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    You have to include the 1950s/1960s Celtics. They won 11 championships, 8 in a row. They had;

Bill Russel
    Sam Jones
    John Havelchik
    Bob Cousy
    Tom Heinson
    KC Jones
    Jim Luscutoff
    Frank Ramsey
    Satch Sanders

Granted, there weren't as many teams in the league but you still have to give them top tier status.

Also in the modern era Robert Horry. he has 7 rings.

I feel like Robert Horry will never get mentioned with the greats, but deserves an honorable mention somehow. A few of the greats wouldn't have as many rings if it wasn't for him specifically.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big O is definitely first tier

As for the question, Stockton & Malone.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Jonah 2.0 wrote: »
    Big O is definitely first tier

As for the question, Stockton & Malone.

How's this for a starting 5?

John Stockton - point guard
    Allen Iverson - shooting guard
    Patrick Ewing - center
    Charles Barkley - small forward
    Karl Malone - power forward

^^^^^Those are the starting 5 for the second tier
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Moses Malone(some would argue he's first tier as well), Dr. J, Zeek, Chuck, The Logo....

KG?
  • 5 Grand
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't forget David Thompson and George Gervin.

If I remember correctly, it was the last game of the season and they were battling for the scoring title. One of them scored 60+ points in the last game of the season, the other one scored 70+ points.

Edit. I just did a wiki search

Thompson is one of the five players to score 70 or more points in an NBA game.

Thompson and Julius Erving were the finalists in the first ever Slam-Dunk Competition

Thompson made the NBA All-Star Game four seasons, and reached his peak in 1978 season. On April 9, 1978, the last day of the regular NBA season, Thompson scored 73 points against the Detroit Pistons in an effort to win the NBA scoring title (he barely lost the scoring title to San Antonio's George Gervin, who scored 63 points in a game played later that same day). He also led the Denver Nuggets to the NBA playoffs, but they lost to the eventual Western Conference champion Seattle SuperSonics.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Don't forget David Thompson and George Gervin.

If I remember correctly, it was the last game of the season and they were battling for the scoring title. One of them scored 60+ points in the last game of the season, the other one scored 70+ points.

Edit. I just did a wiki search

Thompson is one of the five players to score 70 or more points in an NBA game.

Thompson and Julius Erving were the finalists in the first ever Slam-Dunk Competition

Thompson made the NBA All-Star Game four seasons, and reached his peak in 1978 season. On April 9, 1978, the last day of the regular NBA season, Thompson scored 73 points against the Detroit Pistons in an effort to win the NBA scoring title (he barely lost the scoring title to San Antonio's George Gervin, who scored 63 points in a game played later that same day). He also led the Denver Nuggets to the NBA playoffs, but they lost to the eventual Western Conference champion Seattle SuperSonics.

and that is pre-3point line too
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    My dream team starting 5 vs anybody

PG- Pippen
    SG- Jordan
    SF- Rodman
    PF- Barkley
    C- Wilt
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We always talk about who are the top 10 greatest NBA players, I feel like it should really be a list of immortals(aka gods amongst gods) who even amongst the best stood out. After the immortals though who are the list of the next GOATS the ones who come after them, while quite not upper tier of immortal have still earned their spot as a paragon of the sport.

Let's assume the immortals are as follows(no order):
    Jordan
    Kareem
    Magic
    Wilt
    Larry Legend
    Duncan
    Russell
    Shaq
    Kobe
    Hakeem
    Lebron
    (Excluding KD cause we all know he has the talent but not the accolades to be considered a ? amongst gods).

After this where, how, and why would you rank the next tier? Where do the Dwyane Wade's, Kevin Garnett's, the Hondo's, Moses Malone, Dr. J, Bernard King, Oscar Robertson's, Dirk Nowitski's, Allen Iverson's rank?

Me and my potnas was ? the other night and ended up arguing this and it turned into a good debate and I don't think it has been talked about enough.

Ray-J-Stare-VH1-For-the-Love-of-Ray-J.gif
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd take the Big O >>> Russell on that list of immortals.

As for the topic.
    I agree that Dr. J and KG are the 1st 2 names to come to mind, imo.