Florida Man Shoots Kid While Acting Out A Waka Flocka Flame Song

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Florida man accidentally shot and killed a friend while acting out rap lyrics, police said.

Rodney Clay Patrick Jr., 22, was charged with manslaughter on Tuesday following the death of a 17-year-old Douglas Trey Winslow, according to the Brevard County Sheriff's Office.

The shooting happened while the two were listening to the song "Bustin' At 'Em" by artist Waka Flocka Flame at Patrick's home in Merritt Island on Monday night, police told NBC station WESH. The song includes the lyrics "ain't no talkin', homie, I'm jus' bustin' at 'em" and repeatedly plays gunshot sounds.

While acting along to the song, Patrick picked up what he believed to be an unloaded gun and pointed it at the victim, police said. The firearm discharged killing the teen.

Patrick was also charged with tampering with evidence and possession of a controlled substance.

150129-rodney-patrick-mn-0530_ccd938314203ee88b72e1f5d55b9fbbe.nbcnews-ux-360-280.jpg

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/01/28/family-man-distraught-friends-accidental-shooting/22461999/
    Brevard man acting out song fatally shoots friend

Authorities are investigating a death on Merritt Island. Video posted Jan. 27, 2015. By Tim Shortt.

A panicked Merritt Island man can be heard crying and pleading for help on a 9-1-1 call, telling a dispatcher that his 17-year-old friend took his gun and accidentally shot himself in the head.

But Brevard County Sheriff's Office investigators say Rodney Clark Patrick handled the .45-caliber handgun and shot his friend while acting out a rap song blaring on nearby speakers.

"It's a terrible accident, but there are consequences to your actions," said Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office. "You have to take responsibility. He pointed that gun at a person and pulled the trigger."

Goodyear added that Patrick was negligent in checking the weapon before handling it. Investigators quickly determined that Patrick accidentally pulled the trigger of the weapon that killed his friend.

"Patrick tried to make it look like the victim shot himself and moved things around," Goodyear said.

Patrick was charged with manslaughter with a firearm, tampering with evidence and the possession of a controlled substance in connection with the Monday night death of 17-year-old Douglas Winslow. The pair were handling the gun.

In the 9-1-1 audio, Patrick repeatedly tells a different story before deputies arrived.

"I handed my little brother my gun and I didn't know it was loaded then he shot himself in the head," his voice wavering with emotion. "I think he's dead … he wanted to see it cause he thought it was so cool. I'm so stupid … I'm such a horrible person," he said while crying. He added that "my buddy's gone."

Late Tuesday, Patrick flashed an obscene gesture with his handcuffed hands as he was being led from the Brevard County Sheriff's Office headquarters. He's being held at the Brevard County Jail Complex where he's expected to have a first appearance today.

Investigators said that at 9 p.m. Monday, the pair were in Winslow's bedroom at 1410 Floral Lane listening to the song "Bustin' At 'Em," by rapper Waka Flocka Flame. That's when Patrick picked up the weapon.

The lyrics include spoken lines like "I just don't get it anymore, they don't even ? with a purpose, cold-hearted killers that barely got ? hair, I'm tired of tryin' to get through," followed by a chorus that includes gun shots.

The song includes references to gang-related activities and "cold-hearted killers," followed by a chorus that includes gunshots.

"They were still listening to the song when Patrick picked up the gun," Goodyear said.

The weapon was then discharged, killing Winslow in the chair where he sat. He was found by deputies a short time later.

On his Facebook profile, Patrick can be seen taking a series of photos in a bathroom while clutching what appears to be a handgun. In one photo, he points the gun at the camera.

2vdrygz.jpg

Patrick, who called the victim his "little brother" while talking to 9-1-1 dispatchers, later told investigators that he did not believe the weapon was loaded when he turned the gun toward Winslow and it fired off a round.

Rather than point to the song as a possible scapegoat for what happened, Goodyear said that it was Patrick's actions that led directly to the teen's death.

"What caused this was him pointing the gun at another person. I would rather comment on being a responsible gun owner. You always check to see if a gun is loaded and you never point it at another person," Goodyear added.

An autopsy on Winslow was conducted Tuesday before Patrick was arrested.

His grandmother said that Patrick was distraught about the shooting and counted Winslow as a close friend. She also said that Patrick was a "good kid who never caused any real trouble."

"I talked with him yesterday and he's real upset about what happened. It was accidental and he was very, very close to that boy," said Virginia Hudmon, 89, of her grandson's arrest.

"(Winslow) would come to my home and stay for a few nights. They would go fishing together. I tried to talk with Patrick by phone yesterday and he told me he would tell me later…he said 'mom, you know it was an accident. You know I loved Trey,'" she said recounted Patrick's conversation and the nickname he called Winslow by.

4iz4z.jpg

giphy.gif
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think that some white ppl shouldn't be able to listen to rap.

I bet this dude really be thinking he's the rapper he's imitating while a rap song is on
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A panicked Merritt Island man can be heard crying and pleading for help on a 9-1-1 call, telling a dispatcher that his 17-year-old friend took his gun and accidentally shot himself in the head.

"Patrick tried to make it look like the victim shot himself and moved things around," Goodyear said.

Accidental, aight...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im pleasantly surprised at the race
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Im pleasantly surprised at the race

naw not me.. I knew a black person wouldn't even fix their mouth to say some ? like that. Knew he was white
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rap doesn't ? people people ? people.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    I really think that some white ppl shouldn't be able to listen to rap.

I bet this dude really be thinking he's the rapper he's imitating while a rap song is on

Nah its theirs anyway so while they ? still sounds like garbage we should get back to rock and roll.
  • Young Stef
    He let the gun blam bet he wished it had jammed Waka.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flaka still trying to rap?
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Excellence.
  • Young Stef
    @VulcanRaven‌ Yea I could see him sayin that tho thinking he the Riverview Socrates.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lock his ass up for murder and conspiracy charges for this ? ?
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the ? is it with white people in Florida?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm mad that I knew what song it was before I clicked the thread.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MazterChef
    MazterChef Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im still waiting for the day a camera man get shot in a rap video the way they be pointing guns at the cameras in videos especially in chicago

• REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    What the ? is it with white people in Florida?

Florida is a government experiment.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • REV_RAGE
    edited January 2015
    I am white but admit we could use a culling.

Though I would say that for the whole world as well.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    Flaka still trying to rap?

Idk man Flocka has been snapping on a lot of his more recent tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5hSC8CADA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbLl8N8xguA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3bsERQfiA

He trying to be a "real" rapper? Let me find out.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    REV_RAGE wrote: »

? yoself if you really fell that way

gon head and start it off
  • REV_RAGE
    700 wrote: »

700 wrote: »

Typical response full of nothing. Move along if you can't take a joke or sarcasm.

• REV_RAGE
    Y'all take ? way to seriously, relax.