Eddie Murphy Will Return To SNL For The First Time In Over 30 Years

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
video.snl.com@eaa776c6-7514-3b20-b0ae-15cfef9adec3_FULL.png

Eddie Murphy spent four seasons on Saturday Night Live before leaving in 1984 to become one of the biggest comedy movie stars of all time. Now, with the show’s 40th anniversary special set to air on Sunday night, February 15, he will be making his first appearance on the show in more than 30 years.

In a phone interview with NewsOne Now’s Roland Martin, Murphy confirmed that he will be appearing on next month’s special. Asked why he has never hosted the show over the last three decades, Murphy said, “It’s just timing. It just never worked out where the timing was right for me to do it.”

“They’re actually having a 40th anniversary I think in two weeks,” the actor added. “I’m going to that, and that’ll be the first time I’ve been back since I left.”

In 2011, when he was still planning to host the Oscars, Murphy told Ellen DeGeneres that he was finally open to hosting SNL. “I would go back if it was the right stuff, situation,” he said, explaining that he had been upset about how the show treated him in the years after he left.

“It was years ago. I don’t have any bad blood with that show,” he explained. “And that show is such a big part of my past. I love being part of it. Yeah, I wanna go back.”

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the words of Axel Foley: "Get the ? out of here!"
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most def. gonna watch this
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have to watch this.
  • Broddie
    Options
    This will be the first time I check out anything that has to do with SNL in about 13 years. I honestly never thought I'd ever see the day that Eddie would go back there. Especially since Lorne Michaels wasn't even running ? during his tenure on the show; ? Ebersol was.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why did he act like snl didnt exist all these years though?
  • Broddie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    why did he act like snl didnt exist all these years though?

Because he caught mad feelings every time they went at him after he became the biggest movie star of the 80's.
    "They were ? to me on 'Saturday Night Live' a couple of times after I'd left the show," he said. "They said some ? things."

Those things included an early 1990s "Weekend Update" jest in which David ? showed Murphy's face and said, "Look, children, a falling star."

"I made a stink about it, it became part of the folklore," Murphy, star of the new "Tower Heist," told the magazine. "What really irritated me about it at the time was that it was a career shot … I felt ? about it for years, but now, I don't have none of that."

Basically he had no problem dishing it out but really couldn't take it when he had to be at the losing end of a punchline. Which is a big no no and very hypocritical for a comedian. Then again that was when Eddie's ego was at it's peak and he really thought he was the greatest ? since sliced bread and incapable of criticism.

It's so good and surprising to see how he's humbled himself again. Maybe this could be the beginning of the return of the old Eddie finally.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? them crackas
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But is he hosting or just going to be in a sketch or just going to show up during the monologue?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eddie Murphy Is The Michael Jordan Of Comedy
  • Broddie
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    But is he hosting or just going to be in a sketch or just going to show up during the monologue?

It's just a prime time anniversary special that will reunite SNL alums. It's not an actual episode of SNL.