Whats everyones feelings on Scott Snyder's origin for The Joker?

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Heres the article:

What do Vandal Savage, Ra's Al Ghul and the Joker have in common? A lot more than past DC Comics history would have you believe. According to Batman #38, Vandal Savage acquired his immortality from the radiation of a mysterious meteorite that fell to Earth in the prehistoric era. Ra's Al Ghul apparently bathes in a "corrupted version" of the chemical/radiation. And the Joker, as told in Snyder's Batman #38 also encountered the meteorite before Gotham was ever born. That's right, the Joker is immortal. It's a clever retcon to explain how the Joker bounces back time after time from all the punishment Batman dishes out. As explained in Batman #38, the chemical only activates in the Joker at moments of extreme physical injury, otherwise the chemical is undetectable.

3kcqcNU.jpg

LXi2Jak.jpg

ATWCWz1.jpg

And this origin for the Joker goes all the way back to "Death of the Family" according to Snyder. Speaking to IGN, he stated, "For me, I wanted to make something that felt real and was believable, while at the same time was mythologically big and epic, the way the story is, so that it is material that might have been here and might have done this to Vandal Savage and might be the basis for the Lazarus Pit, or Electrum -- which is what keeps the Owls coming back from the dead, the Talons. It might have something to do with other figures as well, for Solomon Grundy... I wanted to create something that links all that. So the Joker says, "I knew this. I knew this part of it. I'm older than Gotham. I'm the Pale Man that walks these shores, and I've seen all of it. I'm the immortal person here. You are nothing. I let you believe it for a little while because I wanted you to come with me and become something important, but you had your chance in Death of the Family, and you threw me off a ? cliff. So... you're done."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=114664

Comments

• lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I applaud him for daring to be different but I'm still not entirely sure if its not more misdirection. I think there's still 2 issues left in the arc so a lot can still be revealed.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One problem with this retcon (not that I have a problem with it) ...is that during Battle for the Cowl / Return of Bruce Wayne...while Wayne was stuck in the past, why he never ran into the Joker aka the pale man while with the original native tribe that was there at the Batcave (before it became the Batcave) or while impersonating his ancestors...where was Joker?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Ah damn my bad, i aint know the arc was still goin on. Keep me updated if yall dont mind haha. Havent been following recent stories.
  • lord nemesis
    Options
    Confirmed that he was definitely Red Hood, no speculation there anymore. Conclusion is next month
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ? a New 52, the beauty of The Joker's origin is that he has no definitive definitive origin and Mr. J having an encounter with a meteorite that gave him immorality is nothing more than musings of a psychotic homicidal manic. Also, if I were to take this origin as canon, it's level of wackness ranks up there with the Red Hood falling into a vast of acid, seeing his reflection, then going crazy. I like my Joker origins to be the one he fancies on that particular day.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ? a New 52

I know you're a Marvel Zombie and all but don't say ? like this only because of Snyder's boring ass Batman run. That comic is an exception and not the rule. If you keep that outlook you'll be missing on a lot of quality ? . Some of the greatest comic books DC has published happen to also fall under the New 52 banner. I say this as someone who has been reading DC for almost 30 years.

Funnily enough this run is liked more than it's hated anyway. Personally I can't stand it but as a fan of epic & bombastic Batman stories I'm also just glad that Batman & Robin is still published so that I could still get my monthly fix for those type of narratives since I avoid Batman (the book) like a bad habit.

• DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? a New 52, the beauty of The Joker's origin is that he has no definitive definitive origin and Mr. J having an encounter with a meteorite that gave him immorality is nothing more than musings of a psychotic homicidal manic. Also, if I were to take this origin as canon, it's level of wackness ranks up there with the Red Hood falling into a vast of acid, seeing his reflection, then going crazy. I like my Joker origins to be the one he fancies on that particular day.

I like the angle, because it implies there must ALWAYS be a Batman to counter Joker. So basically Batman and Joker are immortal enemies...
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah check out Darkknight Dynasty, medievil bats, modern day bats and a female future bats vs. Vandal savage.
    Vandal Savage murks past and present bats lol, kills him
  • lord nemesis
    Options
    Finale was wack
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've checked in and out of it. Its not terrible but I think Snyder peaked with the court of owls books.

He tells an interesting but overly conveluted story. He tries to fill in gaps that don't really need to be filled. He's like DCs Bendis.
  • lord nemesis
    Options
    Snyder's problem is his setups are always better than his finishes. Death of the Family was captivating up until the last issue and then it fizzled.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    I think a big part of that also had to do with Batman Inc and Damians death happening at the same time. ? was annoying. I think Snyder did want to have a more impactful ending but all the stuff with morrisons story forbid it.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    Snyder's problem is his setups are always better than his finishes. Death of the Family was captivating up until the last issue and then it fizzled.

come to think of it, he did a story for Image called Severed that had an amazing first issues but then got lazier and lazier.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snyder is just too one note. Everything he writes reads exactly the same no matter if it's Swamp Thing, American Vampire or Batman. He needs to learn to vary his voice a lot more. I'm hoping once his contract is up with issue 50 that he doesn't resign. If him and Capullo go to Marvel even better. DC books could really use a break from those 2 even though I like Capullo's art.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Capullo def one of my favorite artists. His spawn stuff is dope af.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im still kinda confused wtf happened lol
  • earth two superman
    Options
    does alfred still have 1 hand?