How can we measure intelligence?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
A lot of writers focus on how we should measure it, or the ways that are most optimal for gauging it. While I consider these interesting reads, I'm not sure such discussions can be had until we consider the ways it can be quantified.

Do you think anything can be a measure of intelligence?
One's ability to memorize facts?
Their capacity for replicating a drawing to perfect detail?
Is there a hierarchy of intelligences that puts some over others?
and is this driven by capitalism?

Those are my main four talking points, but for anyone questioning motive i'll throw it out there

I've been told by some i'm clever, by others i'm a ?
Whose claims are valid, and how can I determine accuracy?

And the final leave note: is this really something that as of yet cannot bet measured because of a lack of objective measures, or because the variables are just too many?

Comments

• LUClEN
    Options

Do you think anything can be a measure of intelligence?

I think that is true. I consider all knowledge power. But more importantly, intelligence exhibits an ability to learn, and the man with more tools in his belt has more options. While a man with fewer tools may be able to accomplish more, give that same man the bigger toolbelt and he will do even more than he did with the smaller one.

One's ability to memorize facts?

Memory is huge for me. Not short term, but long term. The ability to retain knowledge increases the amount of knowledge one can have at one time. The bigger your tool belt the more you're able to do, with allusion to my previous reply

Their capacity for replicating a drawing to perfect detail?

This is an appeal to memory, and a reference to it. Art in itself is a measure of intelligence, because an ability to replicate life is an ability to make art. That is a skill and it can absolutely be considered intelligence. The truly smart know what life is like and can express it.

Is there a hierarchy of intelligences that puts some over others?

Hierarchies are largely subjective. They exist in the hearts and minds of people. However, whether or not one exists on some more generlizable level is beyond my scope of knowledge

and is this driven by capitalism?

At present, I see those with skills most able to accumulate wealth as being the most praised. This does not make them the most inherently valuable though
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about critical thinking skills and comprehension?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    What about critical thinking skills and comprehension?

An ability to understand cannot be measured unless someone can communicate that same comprehension

This takes us to a question of how valuable communication is to our species, and moreover, into what constitutes critical thinking

I can point out an informal fallacy with my eyes closed, but I'm often asleep at the wheel when it comes to key questions

Im unsure how one could measure one skill against the other. Any idea what would make one more valuable than the other?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    They do measure critical thinking with the California critical thinking skills test. I guess there was really no need to throw comprehension in there because comprehension is part and parcel with critical thinking. Imo, critical thinking is what defines someone's intelligence.
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Critical thinking often involves life experience and the negative or positive produced from it, so in general adults would or should score higher. Intuition, maybe but I am not on my "google-fu" these days, is there a test to measure intuitive thinking that isn't some hare-brained "psychic" development test?

Raw intelligence might be harder to measure, since there are learned factors and other variables involved, way too many variables. imo
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Intelligence is learned knowledge applied creativity. Being able to ? out what others have created does not make you smart it makes you disciplined.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    I guess he gave up on our ? .
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Though there are probably ways to gauge intelligence, I believe it all goes out the window if there isn't any respect for it. There are people who have all the tools and know how to use them, but don't have a proper discernment for how it suppose to be used.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think solving complex problems and being able to communicate difficult ideas effectively is a good way.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Place something someone wants at the foot of a grizzly den and see who is intelligent.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my werk frends say im smart
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can't really see a method on measuring it except for measuring one's ability to be conscious of exactly the information or task put before them and being able to execute and perform successfully/accordingly to it. The key word is successfully and who determines the success, which I would say on many things the general public has an innate ability to determine what is successful or not on a task asked to be performed. So to answer it, I would say consciousness tested/based on performance is the way I measure intelligence. There has to be a test, because that is the method for measurement. The problem is which test or performances are asked and what is given priority or what type of score. There are probably an infinite number of tasks that can test intelligence, while many of them would be very hard to determine if one is actually a better mode of intelligence than another. But, determining which mode or test is given that is better DOES not mean that just because you can't determine which one is better that all tests for intelligence have no meaning. It's like sports. You have different statistics that highlight different abilities. Each statistic does tell you something, but statistics on paper and not actually watching the player can be misleading sometimes.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kliche, you gonna give someone a damn seizure with that ignorance is bliss video
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    kliche, you gonna give someone a damn seizure with that ignorance is bliss video

Serious??
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know how you can measure intelligence but the NYPD doesn't seem to have a lot of it.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Intelligence is subjective. There are no ways to measure it objectively.

Tests aren't accurate because we already know some people aren't good test takers.

You also have to consider that there are many different types of intelligence. Creativity, analytical skills, scientific, mathematical, all these things are different and a person can be strong in one and not in others. There are people who were considered mentally deficient by societal standards that are brilliant in their field.