How Do You Judge A Quarterback - Who Would You Pick?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
Which Quarterback Is Better?

How Do You Judge A Quarterback - Who Would You Pick? 6 votes

A 12 Season Career With Superior Regular Season Stats and 1 Super Bowl Ring
33%
infamous114Trillfate 2 votes
A 12 Season Career With Average Regular Season Stats and 2 Super Bowl Rings
66%
illedoutKamPushMefightforolddc5 Grand 4 votes

Comments

• 5 Grand
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is basically an Eli vs Peyton thread.

When it's all said and done, I'd rather win 2 Super Bowls.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eli not ? with Big brother.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many times has Peyton missed the playoffs?
    How many times has Eli missed the playoffs?

Out of these two, I would rather have the qb that is gonna get me to the playoffs every year. You have to be in it to win it. Two great catches by Giants wide receivers and this thread is not made.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »

Out of these two, I would rather have the qb that is gonna get me to the playoffs every year. You have to be in it to win it. Two great catches by Giants wide receivers and this thread is not made.

What you said makes sense, but isn't 2 Super Bowls better than 1?
  • O.G.
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

A super bowl ring does not define your career. Would you rather have 1 ring and be considered by many as one of the greatest qb's ever,or would you rather have 2 and be known as the little brother of one the greatest qb's ever?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The eyetest tells me whos better..
    consistency is also an asset
  • 5 Grand
    Options

A super bowl ring does not define your career. Would you rather have 1 ring and be considered by many as one of the greatest qb's ever,or would you rather have 2 and be known as the little brother of one the greatest qb's ever?

Everybody doesn't think like you.

First of all, some people define a quarterbacks career by how many Superbowls they've own. That's how Montana and Bradshaw are defined.

And to answer your question; I'd take 2 Super Bowl rings over 1 any day of the week. Ask me a thousand times and I'd take 2 over 1 every time.
  • O.G.
    edited February 2015
    Options

First of all, some people define a quarterbacks career by how many Superbowls they've own. That's how Montana and Bradshaw are defined.

And to answer your question; I'd take 2 Super Bowl rings over 1 any day of the week. Ask me a thousand times and I'd take 2 over 1 every time.

So you would rather have the career of Mark Rypien over Dan Marino?
    Call me different but i rather be known as a legend, a Hall of Famer (something that I as a player have control over)than a super bowl winner (something that takes a total team effort and some luck).

Who's career would you rather have? Corey Dillon or Barry Sanders
    Who's career would you rather have? Santonio Holmes or Randy Moss

Doug Williams and Peyton Manning have the same amount of rings. No one in the world would even put them in the same class of qb's. A ring is a team accomplishment. You have to have a lot of things go right to get one. Like I said if wasn't for two great catches by Giants receivers this thread would not be made. I don't even think NY fans would take Eli over Peyton. We as fans need to get off that ring or failure mentality.

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    5 Grand, you are killing yourself. Mods close this thread before I ether him into oblivion.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just the fact that I know one of those is slow Eli I refuse to answer this ? .
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So you would rather have the career of Mark Rypien over Dan Marino?
    Call me different but i rather be known as a legend, a Hall of Famer (something that I as a player have control over)than a super bowl winner (something that takes a total team effort and some luck).

Who's career would you rather have? Corey Dillon or Barry Sanders
    Who's career would you rather have? Santonio Holmes or Randy Moss

Doug Williams and Peyton Manning have the same amount of rings. No one in the world would even put them in the same class of qb's. A ring is a team accomplishment. You have to have a lot of things go right to get one. Like I said if wasn't for two great catches by Giants receivers this thread would not be made. I don't even think NY fans would take Eli over Peyton. We as fans need to get off that ring or failure mentality.

Nothing else needs to be said after this post. It's obvious that thread starter is nothing more than the spawn of evil espn blowhards.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5Grand must have Terry Bradshaw in his top 3 list of all time qb's
  • O.G.
    Options

ohtuxvizps.jpg

Dolphins Dynasty
    Raiders Dynasty
    Cowboys Dynasty

Say what yall want but Bradshaw and the Steelers had to go through some great teams of the 70's to get those rings. He did it in a running era bcuz WR's were getting bodied by secondaries back then. Interceptions were common for qb's back in the 70's. The nfl changed the rules for wr's in 1978 and it was no coincidence that Bradshaw had his best year and won MVP while calling his own plays. THAT'S MY QUARTERBACK!
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Taken straight from dumbest things said thread
    I think the best Quarterback isn't the guy with the best regular season stats,

Its better to judge teams and players by their performance in the playoffs where the competition is more evenly distributed. There's no weak teams in the playoffs.
    The more I think about it, regular season statistics are irrelevant.

Its all about how you play in the playoffs when the competition is harder.

coop9889 wrote: »
    So with that being said, let's say you're building a team.

Ignore the laws of physics and time lol, and say both peyton and eli are available in the next draft. Who you picking to the be face of your team for the next 15 years? (and yes, knowing the skill of both players)

If its a draft I'm going with Peyton for obvious reasons, he has better regular season statistics over the course of his career.

95667ff99bbaa9c349a3d4230916f052.jpg

Over the past week I've put a lot of thought into it and I've come to the conclusion that winning 2 Super Bowls is INHERENTLY better than winning 1.

So yeah, you can quote my post from last week, but I've changed my mind. Your original question was who would I draft Eli or Peyton? Knowing what I know now, I'd pick Eli simply because winning 2 championships beats winning 1.

I'd rather own the Giants over the past 15 years than the Colts.

• fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ohtuxvizps.jpg

Dolphins Dynasty
    Raiders Dynasty
    Cowboys Dynasty

Say what yall want but Bradshaw and the Steelers had to go through some great teams of the 70's to get those rings. He did it in a running era bcuz WR's were getting bodied by secondaries back then. Interceptions were common for qb's back in the 70's. The nfl changed the rules for wr's in 1978 and it was no coincidence that Bradshaw had his best year and won MVP while calling his own plays. THAT'S MY QUARTERBACK!

Terry Bradshaw might be the most overrated QB of all time.

Two HOF wide receivers, a HOF running back, great offensive line and one of the greatest defenses ever. Threw as many picks as TDs.

If it weren't for the racial tension in the 70s, Joe Gilliam would have (and should have) been leading the Steelers to those rings.

Bradshaw was basically Jay Cutler (elite arm strength, bad decisionmaking) with an all-world supporting cast.

I was not alive when he was playing but was Bradshaw even as good as his peers? For instance I gotta coworker who told me some cat named Ken Anderson was 10x better than Bradshaw but who the ? even knows who Ken Anderson is. I googled this cat and his numbers way nicer.
  • O.G.
    Options

ohtuxvizps.jpg

Dolphins Dynasty
    Raiders Dynasty
    Cowboys Dynasty

Terry Bradshaw might be the most overrated QB of all time.

Two HOF wide receivers, a HOF running back, great offensive line and one of the greatest defenses ever. Threw as many picks as TDs.

If it weren't for the racial tension in the 70s, Joe Gilliam would have (and should have) been leading the Steelers to those rings.

Bradshaw was basically Jay Cutler (elite arm strength, bad decisionmaking) with an all-world supporting cast.

I was not alive when he was playing but was Bradshaw even as good as his peers? For instance I gotta coworker who told me some cat named Ken Anderson was 10x better than Bradshaw but who the ? even knows who Ken Anderson is. I googled this cat and his numbers way nicer.

You can't type all of that and then say you was not alive to see it.

Gilliam was a junkie who could not handle the spotlight of being a starting qb. I was a huge fan of his but it is the truth.

Bradshaw got off to a slow start that is why his numbers are average. As i said before a lot of qb's from that era will not have numbers you see from qb's of the 80's to present day. You were allowed to manhandle wr's back then. Facts. (Google the Mel Blount rule. A Steeler btw)

Bradshaw won a league MVP and two super bowl mvp's. That is not overrated.

Ken Anderson played under Paul Brown's offense that passed a lot so of course his numbers were better. Brown is the teacher of Bill Walsh, so that should give you some glimpse of the offense Anderson played with. They was one of the first teams to know how to beat bump and run coverage by using rb's out in the flats and short crossing routes.

You young internet dudes are too critical. I could never discredit a player i never seen play.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a Giants fan I rather have Eli and my two Superbowls. A group of guys put up numbers each year and it doesn't amount to much for the TEAM.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least give it a week before another Peyton vs ________ thread is made.
This discussion has been closed.