Is Jerry Rice a cheater?

Comments

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Yes It's cheating and no he is not my goat. Moss is the best wr my eyes has ever, he just never had a great QB or organization like Rice did until NE.

• bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huey_C wrote: »
    bgoat wrote: »
    Nope.

"Nope" ? seriously lmao, ? admitted to cheating! Said he used the ?

Yeah I'm serious, and I don't give a ? what a ? thinks about it either.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rice is not more talented then the top 10 WRs of this era.....
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.G. wrote: »
    I used stickum back in the day in practice. That ? is mad overrated. It's more of a confidence boost if anything. You have to wear a whole lot kinda like Lester Hayes for it to really make a difference. If you wear that much the refs will notice. This s a none story imo. Besides it aint like Rice wore stickum his whole career. Gloves became common in the late 80's and early 90's.

But rules be rules right ? , it was banned in 81 and dude was using it in 85

True. I still don't think he is in the hof bcuz he used stickum. Just like i dont think Pats won super bowls bcuz they taped hand signals .
    BLOCK
    TACKLE
    PASS
    CATCH
    RUN
    Those who do those the best usually win.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

He's the best route runner of all time.
    He stayed putting ? on skates setting them up to run routes
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It
    I used stickum back in the day in practice. That ? is mad overrated. It's more of a confidence boost if anything. You have to wear a whole lot kinda like Lester Hayes for it to really make a difference. If you wear that much the refs will notice. This s a none story imo. Besides it aint like Rice wore stickum his whole career. Gloves became common in the late 80's and early 90's.

True. I still don't think he is in the hof bcuz he used stickum. Just like i dont think Pats won super bowls bcuz they taped hand signals .
    BLOCK
    TACKLE
    PASS
    CATCH
    RUN

Co sign it doesn't change my perception of Jerry Rice at all, but as soon as the lame ass VulcanRavens of the world try to point us out as cheaters I'm bringing up Jerry Rice as well as many other things
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those Kobe vs. Shaq debates where one athlete is liked more as a person than another so identical feats of fuckery are skewed toward the least likable individual coming off as worse. Shaq was a fat, out of shape until he felt like it force of nature who had guard envy until the day he retired, but the media liked him because he cracked jokes and barely mentioned that aspect of his character.

Kobe was an ? for "avoiding parties, going to bed early, taking his job seriously, and wanting to be the best at all costs even as a 17-year-old rookie." I watched him be considered the Cancer of the Lakers because ... he had focus, drive, and things we generally congratulate people for having. The ? ? in Colorado withstanding, the hate before that was ridiculous.

Jerry Rice is universally loved, but he admitted out of his own mouth not under the influence of ANY discernible drugs that he cheated. He said, "Everybody did it" the same way ANY crook that gets caught claims other people do the crime, so "you're blowing this out of proportion." If Randy Moss or Terrell Owens said that ? , they would be Pete Rose'd out the sport. The GOAT football player admits cheating and suddenly it's hazy about how to classify this ? ?

Nah, bruh. I was a Jerry Rice/Montana/Young fan, so to watch him say the ? nonchalantly like it was nothing had me like... "What in the ? ?" All his ? gets an asterisk. His word that everybody used stickum is not empirical evidence. He's not omniscient. He can't know what every player did or did not do. There is ZERO comparison between his use of Stickum and every player using the legalized tacky gloves today because the tacky glove is universally allowed.

You earn records with the tacky gloves it means you beat a playing field that had all the same advantages. You do sideways ? with the BS reasoning everybody else is too, and you're just a cheater. The arrogance to admit the ? is what's hilarious. ? Complex on 10. The trillness of that I respect.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

Rice has said that himself. His greatness didn't come from raw talent. It came from hard work and dedication to mastering his craft.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes It's cheating and no he is not my goat. Moss is the best wr my eyes has ever, he just never had a great QB or organization like Rice did until NE.
    Dauute aint never thrown for 41 tds ??
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Culpepper was completely a product of Moss and Carter. ? was straight garbage after Minnesota traded Moss to Oakland
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is not considered a cheater ..how can anyone who accuses NE of it not hold him to the same degree lol
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    D0wn wrote: »
    Dauute aint never thrown for 41 tds ??

Moss made Caulpepper bruh. The ? went to ? as soon as Moss left. All he did was throw the ball deep into double coverage to Moss and Moss still grabbed it.

Randall Cunningham had the greatest year of his career because of Moss. lol

34 tds and 8 int
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine had David Tyree came out and said he used stick um during the Super Bowl.... The tune would be different.... Its cheating just like resin on the ball in baseball and too much pine tar. I fin it hilarious how hard patriot fans are riding tho... yall cheated 2wice and he cheated all yall are wrong
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's cheating. How significant it is to his stature as a WR, I don't know. Does it really make that much of a difference? Like someone else in here suggested, does it give any more of an advantage than the gloves players use today? How many other players were doing it? I mean if everyone else was cheating in the same way, then he really didn't get a competitive advantage.

This doesn't really make any sense to me. He gained a competitive advantage over the DBs regardless of whether or not other WRs in the league used stickum.
  • Parallel

BLOCK
    TACKLE
    PASS
    CATCH
    RUN

And those who increase their ability to do those through "illegal" methods....?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Parallel wrote: »
    It's cheating. How significant it is to his stature as a WR, I don't know. Does it really make that much of a difference? Like someone else in here suggested, does it give any more of an advantage than the gloves players use today? How many other players were doing it? I mean if everyone else was cheating in the same way, then he really didn't get a competitive advantage.

This doesn't really make any sense to me. He gained a competitive advantage over the DBs regardless of whether or not other WRs in the league used stickum.

We're discussing his stature as a WR though. If people believe he's the GOAT, then him using stickum isn't going to affect that at all if it's something that was commonly done by WRs in general.

But to your point, Jerry Rice wasn't Randy Moss or Megatron. He wasn't making big plays by manhandling defenders. He made plays through superior route running. The stickum may have helped him catch the ball, but whether he caught it or not, the DB was usually already beaten.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy part is that he told in himself out of the blue.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

BLOCK
    TACKLE
    PASS
    CATCH
    RUN

And those who increase their ability to do those through "illegal" methods....?

I have no probs with it. Never had, never will.
  • bgoat
    Y'all know damn well that Rice wasn't the only doing it, just the only one to admit it.

It's a difference between Jerry and the Pats. Jerry wasn't the only player doing it, everybody was doing it. The Pats are the only organization filming ? and deflating ? n ? ...lol
  • Parallel
    Y'all know damn well that Rice wasn't the only doing it, just the only one to admit it.

It's a difference between Jerry and the Pats. Jerry wasn't the only player doing it, everybody was doing it. The Pats are the only organization filming ? and deflating ? n ? ...lol

The only organization that got caught filming*
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

jZ2inkj.gif

If there's one thing I can't stand it's stupidity
  • bgoat

jZ2inkj.gif

If there's one thing I can't stand it's stupidity

I can't stand stupid ? ..lol
  • bgoat

The only organization that got caught filming*

It ain't cheating until you get caught. Well that's what they say.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They filmed them oh well.

But the ? commish burning the tapes is some BS.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Got more of a problem with him being hypocritical than cheating