Vinsanity was born!!! 15 Year Anniversary of the 2000 Slam Dunk Contest

Options
bkzlostchild
bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
Wow I couldnt believe its been 15 years since Vince single handily made the slam dunk contest entertaining again & the obvious ? riding that Kenny Smith was doing too. I remember Steve Francis & T-Mac holding it down as well. These was the participants that day:

G/F Vince Carter Toronto Raptors 6–6 220
G/F Ricky Davis Charlotte Hornets 6-7 195
G Steve Francis Houston Rockets 6–3 210
G/F Larry Hughes Philadelphia 76ers 6–5 185
G/F Tracy McGrady Toronto Raptors 6–8 225
G/F Jerry Stackhouse Detroit Pistons 6–6 218

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYSEgfF5UUE

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcM3bdG2xEI

Part 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqTQ1Tl3XaY

Part 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oprlQ7EWPok

Part 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3cjtaah04g

Comments

• PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There hasn't been a dunk contest yet that has topped this.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shawn Kemp tops my list of best dunker ever.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol "Larry Hughes 1st Dunk: 30 Points"
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There hasn't been a dunk contest yet that has topped this.

Spud Webb beating wilkins
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best Dunk Contest Ever.
    Vince was clearly the star.
    But the Co stars Stevie Franchise n TMac held it down.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the dunk contest sucks now because no stars participate. its ?
  • bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    lol "Larry Hughes 1st Dunk: 30 Points"

The caption for part 1 is hilarious. He got that " what the ? did I sign up for?" face on
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dwight Howard had the 2nd best dunk contest.
    And the Jason Richardson dunk, 180 reverse while in the air is top 5 all times.
  • PSN-Canibuss
    PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't watched the dunk comp in 2 years. It's garbage now... nothing exciting is ever done.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they ? the contest up only having 4 people and it only being 2 rounds... back int he day u had bout 8 folk and 3 rounds with 2 dunks a piece... same with the 3 point contest ... go back to 3 full rounds with the best shooters in the league
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shouldn't be too hard to see why this one was so good. Pretty much everyone in it was a legitimate superstar.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shouldn't be too hard to see why this one was so good. Pretty much everyone in it was a legitimate superstar.

This had a rookie T Mac,(similar to Andrew Wiggins), a 2nd year Steve Francis (similar to oladipo and giannis), but the only stars at the time were Stackhouse and Vince. And Stackhouse wasnt that great in this contest

so thats not really valid for you to say sir
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

This had a rookie T Mac,(similar to Andrew Wiggins), a 2nd year Steve Francis (similar to oladipo and giannis), but the only stars at the time were Stackhouse and Vince. And Stackhouse wasnt that great in this contest

true but they had presence, confidence, timing and a sense of the moment. None of these new cats don't have that. I believe the dunk contest this year is gonna be another weak effort
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Are you saying you can't be a superstar as a rookie or 2nd year player? Are you claiming that TMac and Francis didn't have names at that point? Granted they weren't dominating the league at the time or anything, but we've had dunk contest where it seemed like half the contest were dudes off the bench.
  • Beta
    Options
    I'm just saying you said they were superstars so that's why it was good. I was just saying they weren't superstars and the best player during the time was stack and then Vince.

And imo it shouldn't matter if you a star or not, you just gotta come and bring it and make that name for yourself. I can't look at this field and say it's gonna be wack because I didn't see anything yet. People thought Dwight in 08' was gonna be wack, and people thought James white, and Gerald green in that contest was gonna be good.

Just saying, I don't think its fair to prejudge
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vince and Francis went at it in that dunk contest though....
  • Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    where the ? is larry hughes at now
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Steve's air was crazy
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KGs classic reaction will always be hilarious. Look like he just saw ?

kg-2000-dunk-contest-reaction-o.gif

im ? dead. hahaha
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'm just saying you said they were superstars so that's why it was good. I was just saying they weren't superstars and the best player during the time was stack and then Vince.

And imo it shouldn't matter if you a star or not, you just gotta come and bring it and make that name for yourself. I can't look at this field and say it's gonna be wack because I didn't see anything yet. People thought Dwight in 08' was gonna be wack, and people thought James white, and Gerald green in that contest was gonna be good.

I get what you're saying about them not being Superstars and you're right to a degree. Still, star power does matter for something like this. That's pretty much what All-Star weekend is all about. I'm not saying that a non-superstar can't be involved in the Dunk Contest, but it's always been better when the majority of the contestants were highly athletic superstars.
  • Beta
    Options

I get what you're saying about them not being Superstars and you're right to a degree. Still, star power does matter for something like this. That's pretty much what All-Star weekend is all about. I'm not saying that a non-superstar can't be involved in the Dunk Contest, but it's always been better when the majority of the contestants were highly athletic superstars.

Last year had Paul George, dame lillard and John wall headlining it though..

Was that contest wack?