Kevin Durant Speaks...Eh. Maybe He Shouldnt Have

S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cliff notes:
1) he backtracks off his 'yall dont know ? ' comment
"Let's be real. Let's look at the whole thing," Durant said. "I've been in the league eight years. The media and myself have had a great relationship for eight years. And I said something, two days in a row I said something. Am I allowed to be upset one time? Am I allowed to be mad? Am I human? Do you look at me that way? Do you look at me as if I can't say nothing wrong? We had great communication for eight years, and it's still that way."

The rest come from his GQ article

2) "Obviously our players aren’t as good as, you know, than they were before. But you have to figure it out.”...

Yikes.

2b) He backtracks off that...we'll get to that

3) He worries will he always be alone re: his failed engagement

4) Speaks about his time in OKC in past tense "I was loyal"

5) Does his best Kobe impersonation saying how he's a "? " and "hater" when it comes to opposing teams

That ngga came off as heartbroken over his chick, done in OKC, and tired of not winnin a chip. He need a media coach he gave up a lot

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant stand when people start back pedaling granted its not in his nature to lash out as he did but... he is didnt lose any "currency" so to speak by speaking the truth he felt at that moment.
  • S2J
    Explaining his GQ comment
    "I think my words were misinterpreted a little bit," he said. "I read that this morning and felt bad, but I was just talking in terms of how the public views our team, like how everybody views us. Everybody talks about the James Harden trade to this day. Obviously, in everybody else's eyes we don't have a player that's a three-time All-Star, leading scorer in the league, you know what I'm saying, so we can't do nothing about that but play. That's what I meant about it. I never wanted to slight my teammates or anybody here, but just from the outside looking in, that's how people view us. That we got worse. But we can't control that. That's what really I was trying to say, so I'm sorry if my words got misinterpreted, but I never want to slight my teammates."

Durant was asked directly whether he "resents the organization" for trading Harden.

"Do I resent the organization? Nah. Hell nah. Not at all," he said. "Let''s look at it this way: We won 60 games the year he was gone, we won 59 the next year. Had a few injuries, you never know what would have happened if that didn't happen. So not at all. Plus they signed me to a max deal."

Growing assumption is that those decisions from the Thunder could affect Durant's future with the organization as his pending free agency in 2016 nears. But he said he's unmoved by lasting implications of the Harden deal.

"None. None. None," Durant said of the impact of the Harden trade on his future. "We're still a good team. Still a good team. Let's be real now. We'd still be up there if we didn't have injuries. If I wasn't out, if Russ [Russell Westbrook] wasn't out, we'd be up there. So don't act like we a bad team, like we got worse. We had injuries. It's a part of the game and I understand that, we're not crying about it. But that's what happened. We lost Russell for a playoff series, we lost Serge [Ibaka] for a playoff series. Stuff like that happens, but to say all because we lost James we're not going to make it to the Finals. Everybody's going to nitpick, especially with the time winding down with that stuff and the summer coming up with me and all that, but I love where I'm at right now and I'm just trying to focus on that every single day."

• S2J
    The rest of the rebuttal to the media comment. He made good points here imo
    "I had a moment," Durant said. "Everybody in life has moments. You had one for sure before, but it's not broadcasted like mine. I was more so trying to take up for my teammates, my coach and other guys in the league that gets scrutinized and I don't like. Maybe I should shut up about it. I had one moment. What made me more mad than anything I was told I bite the hand that feeds me. I don't know what that means. I really don't know what that means. I wish someone would explain it to me. But I don't remember none of you guys being there when I was 8 years old and putting in that work, the nights when I'm in here putting in that work in. So I don't really understand what that one means. But, hey, I gotta roll with it. That's a part of it. I was told I shouldn't cry 'cause everybody been through it. So I'm going to shut up."

Durant explained on Tuesday that his reaction was more a defense of his team and coach than anything else.

"It's more so just an attack on our team and our players and our coach and all that stuff," Durant said. "It's not going to fly with me. I really don't like it. I'm not going to sit here and agree with you when you're trying to bash my coach or one of my teammates or anything. That's just who I am as a person. Like I said, we had a great relationship. We still have a great relationship, myself and the media. I had a moment. I hope we can get past it. But I'm sure everybody has those types of moments."

"I'll try to work on just being honest with you guys but at the same time being more respectable. I made a mistake."
  • S2J
    Full exerpt on pending free agency
    “I was loyal,” he says of the criticism he knows awaits him if he doesn’t re-up. “If it comes down to that, I mean: I was. My deal’s up in 2016. I’ll have been here nine years. I could easily have wanted out. I could have easily not signed the extension after my rookie contract. I could have not played as hard every night. But people tend to forget.” Durant, who admits he’s done a lot of growing up in the last three years (he finally took a summer vacation and wants to travel more, he’s getting into wine), understands that there is more at play here than just fan reactions. “Players are paid to do their jobs, no matter who’s on the court. And as superstars, you gotta lead what you have…You gotta do your job, and you gotta trust that the front office is going to do their job. It’s hard, though. You know what I’m saying? Because it’s like, isht, I want to win. Obviously our players aren’t as good as, you know, than they were before. But you have to figure it out.”
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew he was gona back track
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't back pedaling and here's why.

The average fan reading articles and listening to sports shows are quick to believe anything presented to them in a certain context. So when a player, coach, or GM speaks down to the media, those media guys get defensive as ? and take up for each other. They don't want their camera turned on them or the microphone shoved back in their face. They want you to talk ? about people on the other team or people on your own team. They want you to ignore the passive aggressive questions and ignore the fact that they just finished talking ? about you on their show or blog last week.

I love it when Pop, Westbrook, LeBron, Kobe, etc give the media a hard time because those media guys are the ones who take a sentence, a a few seconds in time, purposely out of context in order to get viewer attention because they know most casual fans care more about the ? being said in locker rooms more than the game played on the court.

So when Durant, or anyone for that matter, says some ? candidly, the media mis-contextualizes it, feeds it to the fans, and sneaks out the back door while the player has to explain himself to people who were only given 30% of the story to begin with.

Good post
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As hard as he goes for ? Nick Collison, that comment about his team not being as good is nothing

Nobody in the league goes harder for their bums than KD
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the problem is?
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These journalist need to be fined. The Thunder is rising. No matter what the seeds if they have their complete roster it will take a A type Spurs or Warriors to stop them imo

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im 24 myself and by no means am i close to be a susperstar in anything in lifee. But i do not get the social media and news media interactions of some of these youngn's. This ? durant is in a small market that was on his ? and 1 playoff headline and another ASG mishap and this ? catching feelings. Lil B said some ? on twitter and he caught feelings as well.

Same thing happened with lebron. I respect dude for leaving Ohio for south beach but then he was too worried about how the media felt that it did affect his play. Now he gossip girl sublim tweeting Kevin Love instead of talking to ? face to face.

Now it seems like Durant is trying to be some typa villian again the media just like Lebron tried to be like a few years ago. If hes this ? ass in media relations in OKC he might as well not even consider a bigger market like the DMV for the Wizards or a few other major markets that are seeking him after his Thunder contract expires.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of those media cats don't know ? though. They giving opinions just like we giving opinions.
  • R.D.
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Im 24 myself and by no means am i close to be a susperstar in anything in lifee. But i do not get the social media and news media interactions of some of these youngn's. This ? durant is in a small market that was on his ? and 1 playoff headline and another ASG mishap and this ? catching feelings. Lil B said some ? on twitter and he caught feelings as well.

Same thing happened with lebron. I respect dude for leaving Ohio for south beach but then he was too worried about how the media felt that it did affect his play. Now he gossip girl sublim tweeting Kevin Love instead of talking to ? face to face.

Now it seems like Durant is trying to be some typa villian again the media just like Lebron tried to be like a few years ago. If hes this ? ass in media relations in OKC he might as well not even consider a bigger market like the DMV for the Wizards or a few other major markets that are seeking him after his Thunder contract expires.

You sound crazy

It's ? ass to defend your wack ass coach and teammates
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    R.D. wrote: »

You sound crazy

you can defend your coach and your teammates. But he cracked under the pressure the way he ranted to the media which still asked him Keystone Light questions compaired to what major market stars get asked on a daily basis. ? on major market fiascos like the bulls or the knicks or lakers get asked harder more personal questions errday. Durant has hardly been challenged or critiqued by the media. And the few times he has he caught feelings.
  • R.D.
    What he did was no different than what Marshawn does
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these media people be asking ? questions
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

You sound crazy

you can defend your coach and your teammates. But he cracked under the pressure the way he ranted to the media which still asked him Keystone Light questions compaired to what major market stars get asked on a daily basis. ? on major market fiascos like the bulls or the knicks or lakers get asked harder more personal questions errday. Durant has hardly been challenged or critiqued by the media. And the few times he has he caught feelings.

i agree

kd has been protected from criticism his entire career more than anybody ever has

ive seen them defend his lack of defense by saying that he trust his own length so much that he thinks he can make up the distance on a close out not even bringing up the fact that he didnt bother fighting through the screen

blame is always bestowed upon russ, brooks, perkins or the bench

one newspaper called him mr unreliable last year and everyone went so crazy that they had to issue an official apology to durant i also remember reading the headline 'joey crawford ices kd…' last year

^^^the only person i ever seen go at kd

there was a stretch of games last year where d wade was balling and shane battier said some real ? -- the question was about was he surprised at how well wade was playing

"There were so many attacks on him, from people questioning his toughness to people questioning his commitment," Battier said. "I don't care who you are, when you keep hearing people saying you are done playing at a high level, it ? you off."

for as great a player kd is i think he has another level he can take it to but until the media starts holding him accountable i dont think he will ever reach it

kd says all the right things in front of the camera but his tough guy performance on the court is just that -- a performance -- he is a 'sweet' young man who occasionally pops off he was never truly a 'heel' he is basketball version of drake
  • R.D.
    Cause you know KD so well
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't back pedaling and here's why.

The average fan reading articles and listening to sports shows are quick to believe anything presented to them in a certain context. So when a player, coach, or GM speaks down to the media, those media guys get defensive as ? and take up for each other. They don't want their camera turned on them or the microphone shoved back in their face. They want you to talk ? about people on the other team or people on your own team. They want you to ignore the passive aggressive questions and ignore the fact that they just finished talking ? about you on their show or blog last week.

I love it when Pop, Westbrook, LeBron, Kobe, etc give the media a hard time because those media guys are the ones who take a sentence, a a few seconds in time, purposely out of context in order to get viewer attention because they know most casual fans care more about the ? being said in locker rooms more than the game played on the court.

So when Durant, or anyone for that matter, says some ? candidly, the media mis-contextualizes it, feeds it to the fans, and sneaks out the back door while the player has to explain himself to people who were only given 30% of the story to begin with.

Word
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause you know KD so well

its my opinion

and its non negotiable
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't be mad at him. He was starting to get that choir boy image, and I guess sooner or later he had to let the stress off to keep from being cast as the nba's good boy
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad he finally said something about his failed engagement to Monica....she gave some good insight into what happened without telling everything so I was wondering if he would respond. Monica made it seem he wasn't ready to fully commitment but they he talking :-??