Jameis Winston's career. Better or worse than Eli Manning?

fightforolddc
fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jameis-winston?id=2552485

Interesting comparison comparing Jameis to Eli Manning. I'd expect them to say he's the next Leftwich or David Garrard #postracial

How do you see Jameis' career shaping out? I'd expect a little better than Eli. He won't throw as many interceptions and complete more than 59% of his passes. Eli has never been an elite quarterback, despite the fact he lucked his way into two rings. I think Jameis will be if picked by the right team.

Jameis Winston's career. Better or worse than Eli Manning? 24 votes

Jameis will have the better career.
29%
gman82CoolJoetexasdaking88StoneColdMikeyfightforolddcproud_babydaddyBazz-B 7 votes
Eli's career is better than what Jameis will do
50%
Focal PointKnightryderSerious Juice MayneWill Munnyiron man1nujerz84LPastnj2089TrillfateSuperSoakermatt maneHeavy In The Game 12 votes
Dumb comparison by NFL Network. Jameis is nothing like Eli
20%
mikelewisVulcanRavenJDSTAYWITITKamPushMeGhost313 5 votes

Comments

• fightforolddc
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2372428-charasmatic-jameis-winston-erasing-doubts-in-nfl-combine-interviews?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
    INDIANAPOLIS — Before the 40s and the jumping and the throwing, Jameis Winston went through interviews with a number of teams. The results were, well, allow me to let one team's personnel man who was in the room with Winston explain.

"I think he's probably the smartest player I've ever interviewed," he told me.

Ever?

"Ever," he responded. "Football IQ as good as I've ever seen."

Now, keep in mind, Johnny Manziel did well in interviews last year as well. He's a train wreck who fooled almost everyone, especially the Cleveland Browns.

But I'm told by three different sources who interviewed Winston, including someone who was part of the Manziel interview process last year, that Winston is no Manziel.

In fact, Manziel's name has come up here often as teams felt Manziel conned them. They went into interviews with Winston armed with a great deal of skepticism, but Winston, from what I'm told, has beaten down that cynicism. At least for now.

One scout described how Winston was so impressive with his knowledge of X's and O's that "there was a moment where we kind of looked at each other and said, 'Oh, okay, wow.'"

The comparison I heard several times was Peyton Manning.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some on this site think Eli is better than Peyton. Lol. So to say Winston will be better than Eli is saying a lot.
    The team he is drafted by will have a lot to do with how good Winston will be.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.G. wrote: »
    Some on this site think Eli is better than Peyton. Lol. So to say Winston will be better than Eli is saying a lot.
    The team he is drafted by will have a lot to do with how good Winston will be.

I agree with this. If he has all of the parts around him and a coach that will work with him, I don't see why not. And this is coming from Giants fan.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winston looks like a player that anybody good.
  • Shizlansky
  • Shizlansky
    two superbowl wins against the greatest Quarterback of all time is gonna be a hard to beat

Lmao.

That DLine > Eli

Easily.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    two superbowl wins against the greatest Quarterback of all time is gonna be a hard to beat

Lmao.

That DLine > Eli

Easily.

For the first ring yes, for the second one Eli was on point in the playoffs and the Super Bowl.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably won't win two super bowls.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 rings and that consecutive start streak are impressive
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is impossible to answer. Eli has about the most impossible career as a QB to peg. I dont even know if this comparison is a compliment or a diss
  • Shizlansky
    Most ppl say Eli is borderline HOF.

More not then in.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly answering this question is pure speculation.

But, I doubt I see him winning two rings. I mean... Rodgers Brees Peyton etc... are all vastly better QBs than him and have all had multiple teams capable of winning the Super Bowl, and couldn't get it done more than once yet. Winning a ring is hard.

It's much more likely for him to have better stats than Eli than more rings. Eli's stats aren't even impressive.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the team Jameis ends up on, I've been reading where they say he's got some traits of Peyton Manning. We'll see in September
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He hasnt played a down yet and to be honest there were lots of games he played like absolute ? last season with horrible reads and forced thows.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eli is literally the Forrest Gump of QBs. He somehow succeeded when he doesn't really have the talent to succeed at that level. He has every intangible you could want from a QB and somehow always hits the switch at the right moment. Let Jameis play a down first and then let's revisit this.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ? not even on a team yet...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought eli was all that good.

is his team just as good without him?
  • fightforolddc
    I never thought eli was all that good.

is his team just as good without him?

Like Duke said earlier, Eli is the ultimate mystery.

As a Redskins fan I've seen him suck. I've also seen him with the clutch even before he got rings. I've seen him throw the WOAT picks and look like Cutler. Then I've seen him ball out for whole playoffs at a time.

I can't call it with his career. He's a scrub that can also lead you to chips. That don't make no sense but it is what it is.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yall goin to stop dissing my quarterback

ThatsMyQuarterback.jpg
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Super Bowls is an extremely high bar to set. I think he can have better regular season numbers (and post season as well over a career) than Eli but actually getting 2 rings? Idk about all that.

I do think Tampa is a great situation for him and the off field ? is overblown by ESPN.

A safe bet to me would be better numbers, less rings.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lmao.

That DLine > Eli

Easily.

I didn't see tuck, strahan, or JPP throw any touchdowns in those Super Bowls
  • Shizlansky

Lmao.

That DLine > Eli

Easily.

I didn't see tuck, strahan, or JPP throw any touchdowns in those Super Bowls

You're a ? idiot, A real ?

In that case I didn't see Eli hold one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history to 14 points
  • fightforolddc
    ^
    I think Eli's garbage too but we can't act like he wasn't clutch in both those playoff runs. It's only thing that makes the Jameis comparison more difficult. Yes, Jameis talentwise is way better than Eli. But you play to win it all and Eli came thru in the big games and big moments.

Jameis already seems like a better leader than Eli too. Y'all think Bradshaw, Plaxico, Nicks and them boys thought Eli was gon take them to the promised land while looking and sounding like Gomer Pyle?
  • fightforolddc
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

By the numbers Eli is the most clutch playoff performer of all time. He's not likely to get you to the playoffs. But when he do he turn up.