President Obama has vetoed the Keystone Pipeline Bill: Is this good/bad for the US?

Options
soulbrother
soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in The Social Lounge
Citing procedures rather than the bill itself, President Obama vetoed the Keystone Pipeline Bill shortly after it arrived on his desk. Many claim it will create jobs, others say it's bad for the environment, job creation is minimal and temporary at best. Was this a good move?

President Obama has vetoed the Keystone Pipeline Bill: Is this good/bad for the US? 22 votes

Good move
86%
Focal Pointzombiejonokingblaze84illguitoShuffingtonStoneColdMikeyMister B.Olorun22(Nope)CashmoneyDux[Deleted User]LUClENsoulbrotherKingFreemanDarth Sidiousbck145onthaflyRoronoa 19 votes
Bad idea
13%
janklowantoseegriddlerap 3 votes

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    Great move. The keystone pipeline is going to happen eventually regardless of what we want but Obama delaying the inevitable is still a good move.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Bad idea
    voted "bad idea" because i think the veto is ? partisan nonsense and unrelated to the debate over whether or not the pipeline is a good idea.

literally don't care one way or another about the pipeline, but i do ? hate the ? politics
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    janklow wrote: »
    voted "bad idea" because i think the veto is ? partisan nonsense and unrelated to the debate over whether or not the pipeline is a good idea.

literally don't care one way or another about the pipeline, but i do ? hate the ? politics

But didn't many Democrats support the bill as well? I think it's beyond just partisan politics.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    The risk outweighs the reward, and only a select few benefit from this pipeline. You can call it partisan nonsense, but it's really common sense.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad idea
    people really worried about the environment? LoL
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Good move
    riddlerap wrote: »

Cancer and oil spills that prevent people from taking showers and drinking water is nothing to be worried about?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    riddlerap wrote: »

you want this flowing down the missippi river

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVlnK23MIk
  • janklow
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bad idea
    But didn't many Democrats support the bill as well? I think it's beyond just partisan politics.
    well, make a list. i think the biggest Democrat supporters were the Senate candidates that got kicked out last year like Landreau.

but really, even if there are exceptions, i think OBAMA vetoed it for partisan reasons. in 2015 i am just a salty guy i guess

EDIT: since i got a feelings tag for that one, i'll just add "? Obama" here so that i'll deserve it
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    I just hate how some ? think a big ass pipeline doesn't already exist.

220px-Keystone-pipeline-route.png
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a good move, i noticed the fault lines havent even been mentioned here
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Good move
    well, make a list. i think the biggest Democrat supporters were the Senate candidates that got kicked out last year like Landreau.

but really, even if there are exceptions, i think OBAMA vetoed it for partisan reasons. in 2015 i am just a salty guy i guess

I'll find that list for you soon enough, but a whole lot of Democrats wanted Keystone to pass
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    Good move
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • janklow
    Options
    Bad idea
    I'll find that list for you soon enough, but a whole lot of Democrats wanted Keystone to pass
    that's fine, but i didn't say no Democrats wanted it to pass. and there's a reason why people like Landreau pushed for it last year.

• kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good move
    that's fine, but i didn't say no Democrats wanted it to pass. and there's a reason why people like Landreau pushed for it last year.

Yeah Landreau is in the south and oil and natural gas are a huge part of their economy.....

As far as the Dems who supported the bill, ten Democratic Senators voted in favor. Much more Dems in the House voted for it, 28

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/here-are-the-28-house-democrats-who-voted-to-approve-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-20150109

I wonder how Hillary feels about this
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    I am in favor of the veto.

The jobs that will be created have been well overstated while the environmental hazard has been understated.

I understand the argument that they will produce from these ? tars sands regardless and transport by rail ( more dangerous that pipe in many respects ) but that is on them. Transporting by anything other than pipe will make it more $$ and maybe give them pause on how much they can afford to extract.

• (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    ? the Koch's and their pipeline.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good move

EDIT: since i got a feelings tag for that one, i'll just add "? Obama" here so that i'll deserve it

Haha yeah you deserve it now for sure. Obama made a good decision here, forget about the politics involved for a minute.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • janklow
    Options
    Bad idea
    As far as the Dems who supported the bill, ten Democratic Senators voted in favor. Much more Dems in the House voted for it, 28

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/here-are-the-28-house-democrats-who-voted-to-approve-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-20150109

a little more mixed than i guessed, though most of them seem reasonable to have predicted.

i don't think Hillary has sincere beliefs, so whatever's popular with the base is what she thinks
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Good move

a little more mixed than i guessed, though most of them seem reasonable to have predicted.

i don't think Hillary has sincere beliefs, so whatever's popular with the base is what she thinks

We definitely agree on Hillary. There's a reason she's been pretty quiet on this issue.....after her Iraq War vote, she doesn't take strong stands on much of anything. Whatever the wind blows or the party base goes, that's her stance. Could be a good thing if she runs for prez though
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move

We definitely agree on Hillary. There's a reason she's been pretty quiet on this issue.....after her Iraq War vote, she doesn't take strong stands on much of anything. Whatever the wind blows or the party base goes, that's her stance. Could be a good thing if she runs for prez though
    Or it could show that she's incredibly weak-minded on deciding issues for herself...which I'm sure the GOP will hammer her for when she runs.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good move
    I agree it's a good move on his part for whatever reason. There's talk of a couple pipelines being argued about in my area. Folks are against it, no-one wants things like that in their backyard, so I can imagine how an even larger one would make people feel. Granted there's one already, another I think is too much.
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good move
    Mister B. wrote: »

Or it could show that she's incredibly weak-minded on deciding issues for herself...which I'm sure the GOP will hammer her for when she runs.

Yeah the GOP would have fun with her wishy washy choices, and Hillary would have some tough times motivating her base with her record. I honestly can't think of any great choices she made as Secretary of State, she doesn't seem much different then Republicans when I think about it. Even Rand Paul made fun of Hillary's wish to take out Gaddafi, how is she gonna counter that
  • janklow
    Options
    Bad idea
    i have no doubt that her pliable, phony nature will help her run for president; i just think it also makes her a bad person