Is Addiction REALLY a "Disease" (MLB Player Josh Hamilton)

13»

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave diseases/illnesses for things like colds, cancers, diabetes etc. Addictions are very badly badly abused habits.
  • CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at work and can't watch first take, so somebody please let me know what Stephen a smith say about it
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    FLYguy69 wrote: »
    Addition is a disease. I have been taken drug and alcohol classes numerous times. They said it is. I have talked 2 numerous shrinks and doctors who specialize in that ? . They say it is. So I think imma believe people who have degrees in that ? over what the IC says. I feel bad 4 Hamilton. Your an addict 4 life. U can slip up at any time. I knew a dude who was sober 20 yrs, had a few drinks and relapsed. Sad ?

Man addiction is addiction. It has its own definition. It, and sex addiction, is not a disease. For example most of us really, really really love fukin women. So what EXACTLY is the burden of proof for a dude to be worse than everybody else and clinically be categorized as having a "disease"?? Its comical.

Its a stretching of the term and invented to coddle New America. And so professionals in the medical field with a lot of degrees can occupy their time and apply what they learn

The burden of proof is like anything else...you do things out of your character in order to vet that high. You mentioned sex addicts a few times...are you aware that sex addicts for the most part don't even "enjoy " sex the same way normal people do. Its literally a compulsion they cannot control. Put 2 sex addicts together and they will crash and burn out not feel like "I finally found my match". Addiction literally alters your brain chemistry

Its all bull ? dog. Its all semantics

Its like doctors sayin kids, KIDS, have ADHD. Ya yhink?! Its all bullshyt. There are some legit cases, but society is over-diagnosed and over-medicated

If you pick 20 normal people off the street and take em to a shrink, they'd come up with a diagnosis and title for more than half.

so basically you made this thread to discuss addiction, then ? on everyone else's opinion that don't agree with yours.... makes sense

My apologies, I forgot im dealing with a sensitive demographic. I'm not used to having to wear kid gloves in conversation with other grown men.

Going forward i'll make sure I preface all my posts with 'imo', 'no shots', 'in all due repsect', or 'i hear what you sayin but...'
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again...

"You don’t need people’s opinions on a fact. You might as well have a poll asking which number is bigger, 5 or 15? Or do owls exist? Or are there hats?”" - John Oliver
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sex addicts that know they have a problem do not find their lives to be pleasurable.
    if they cant ? option 1, 2, or 3 they dont go home and call it a night. they'll get desperate and ? anything. even if they gotta spend money they barely have, risk disease, commit crimes, whether they have a willing wife/gf or not.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone who actually been addicted to something knows that its not easy to just up and quit. u have to relapse n ? up enough times to finally get a good stretch without your addiction. but you're never in the clear.

i was addicted to smoking up to a pack a day tried quitting several times til one day i had the worst hangover ever n i could still taste the cigs n it disgusted me (i smoke way too much when im ? ). i used that moment to try n quit n so far its been 4 months. but a few close ppl smoke heavily i still get urges to just have one.

u can be addicted to anything and any of those addictions can ? u over time. yes even being addicted to working. they say people that take more time off work live longer and happier. everything is a factor.

but of course alcohol and hard drug addiction ? u up harder and faster n affects everyone around the addict so its more serious.

where there is addiction there is an underlying problem, if that doesnt get sorted out as well then the addict will relapse or find another addiction. like someone who is just addicted to being addicted to ? .
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicity wrote: »
    He white bruh, what you expect?

Whites turn anything into to a 'disease' if it'll benefit them and their ilk

/thread
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An addiction is a real disease.
    I don't see how something that changes the chemical balance in your brain or blood isn't considered a disease.

Maladaptive behaviors are a clear sign of disease and addictions have them.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    An addiction is a real disease.
    I don't see how something that changes the chemical balance in your brain or blood isn't considered a disease.

Maladaptive behaviors are a clear sign of disease and addictions have them.

Shut up.

? .