Do you call dibs on street parking when it snows?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
For those in smaller/rural towns, this is what happens when you get hit with a snowstorm and, after shoveling a space to be able to park your car, you put something in its place while you're gone to reserve it.

Examples:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmovaHRfM2U05TOnoqdcDidMUjrxeytDWA3fAHtha6msaMtehA
we-wrote-down-the-unwritten-rules-of-parking-dibs
2010-12-06-DIBS.jpg
10427287_10206192924967046_3377368373464443826_n.jpg

Alright, you get the idea. So, what are the rules to this ? ? Do you only call dibs in front of your house or just anywhere you manage to find a spot to shovel? How long? And what happens when the snow starts to melt? What do you do if someone moves your ? ?

flat-tires.jpg
9422774_1280x720.jpg
Screen%20Shot%202014-02-10%20at%201.20.29%20PM.png
bbfe86196845803918a372f2af03b8fc.jpg

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    have two designated parking spots in my primary homes complex.

don't have that problem.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah i dont do this.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes but not only during snow storms

as a kid my peoples could put one car in the driveway and the other had to go on the street in front of the house. we would leave cones in front of the house all year long because it was a local hot spot bar on my corner. their customers would just park in front of any house and wouldnt leave until late at night.
  • soul rattler
    Options

don't have that problem.
    I have a neighbor who bought a house with designated parking but the previous owner had died so, for whatever reason, they haven't been able to park in front of their own house for over a year. Instead of getting the city to remove it, they just park in front of anyone else's house.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

don't have that problem.
    I have a neighbor who bought a house with designated parking but the previous owner had died so, for whatever reason, they haven't been able to park in front of their own house for over a year. Instead of getting the city to remove it, they just park in front of anyone else's house.

if I'm not going to be home for a few weeks, I let the neighbors know and they use to front of my house spot and I park in visitors parking.
  • soul rattler
    Options

don't have that problem.

if I'm not going to be home for a few weeks, I let the neighbors know and they use to front of my house spot and I park in visitors parking.

Wouldn't they get a parking ticket for not having the decal?
  • soul rattler
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    My apartment building has a big parking lot but these are posted in Boston right now lol ? gets real

1907400_604405676326551_292402727038937131_n.jpg?oh=a09b6cace5fc1a62bb5d7796a0081a31&oe=559362E5&__gda__=1434377737_dc38a4f9238b8d1f003439e9e1ec46a2

In Chicago, the city lets the ? ride until it gets a little warmer. And if only YOUR ? was moved but everyone else's ? is still saving their spots, then you know that a specific individual did it.
    The custom is honored by city officials - to a point. Mayor Rahm Emanuel said he believes in "sweat equity," or the notion that people who work up a sweat shoveling out a space deserve to use it.

But the city cleans up dibs items once snow starts to melt, according to the Department of Streets and Sanitation. The melting appeared theoretical on Friday, as the temperature was 14 degrees F (-10 C).
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/14/us-usa-chicago-parking-idUSKBN0LH24T20150214
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i get it, but to the point of damaging another persons car? nah..
  • soul rattler
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

What if you spent hours digging out a spot AND they took your ? and tossed it out the way AND you know exactly who did it?

What is a measured rational response to that?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk but not damaging another persons property.. I get being angered.. I'd prob just figure out a way to find a violation and get it towed..

doing ? that won't damage the car.. ie plastic wrap, water and let it freeze.. air out of the tires, no slash etc..
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We jsut dig out the block
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grown-ass kids lol.
  • king hassan
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

that moslty only happens in white neighborhoods tho
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a cardinal sin to take someone's spot like that after shoveling.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

don't have that problem.

Wouldn't they get a parking ticket for not having the decal?

nah....the house in a complex. only the home owner would need to call the police. our HOA assigned spots. so anyone can park there until the homeowner comes...one call to the cops an ya ? is towed. in this hood, its expensive. so visitors know to park in visitors parking.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    We jsut dig out the block

this makes the most sense
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what would solve this issue?.. If the city did something rational.. Like take some of the tax money we pay them on every check and plow the streets properly.. Including parking spots.. How about that?. smh.. This ? ? me off..
  • soul rattler
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    You know what would solve this issue?.. If the city did something rational.. Like take some of the tax money we pay them on every check and plow the streets properly.. Including parking spots.. How about that?. smh.. This ? ? me off..

Hard to do that when there will always be cars parked on the street day or night. They would have to declare a time for no parking on the entire street for about 5-6 hours at least a week (like street cleaning) after people will have already shoveled out their spots.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Glad I don't have to deal with that sh*t anymore!

I was an angel and a devil. I'd shovel out other peoples parking spots that were near my car. Once I shoveled out 5 on-street parking spots. But then On the flip side I would move peoples space savers and watch other people park in their spot. I didn't give a f*ck …. I was out for a blood bath.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I had an unofficial spot in the lot of a complex, I would park bumper to bumper so that they couldn't get out and leave a note on their car on how to contact me if they wanted to be able to get back out.
    Now I have a driveway and don't have to worry about this ? anymore.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    California...

...That is all.
  • king hassan
    Options
    We had a old guy on the block that had connections, he'd have a plow come on the, knock on doors and clear the street, I hate he moved