Is Wale On Kendricks Level Lyrically

Comments

• The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    yes
    It's always amusing watching people compare rappers lyrically and attach themselves to the hype and perception influenced by the current popularity of said rappers instead of thinking critically and actually evaluating them.

People allow a rapper's flow and an actual delivery of the lyrics over an instrumental to influence dramatically, their ability to judge lyricism as well.

Lyricism denotes literary technique and intellectual acuity. Moreover, being a fan of both, I've been listening to them and judging the complexity of their lyrics for a while now and I can indubitably say both are virtually on the same level lyrically.

They (along with Cole) are about as lyrically refined as you'll see out of these new generation mainstream rappers - which isn't that big of an accomplishment in the grand scheme of things tbh.

In fact, from a scholastic perspective this question could actually be reversed since Wale has a larger vocabulary, demonstrated an understanding of some sociological concepts earlier on in his career (like Cole did) and has given more social commentary.

FWIW obviously lyricism is just one element of rap, one can be inferior lyrically to someone and still be the superior overall rapper.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    some of yall voted for/replied to this question:

"Who do u like better Wale or Kdot?" instead of the actual question..
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    To answer the question yea he is. Is he better than K.Dot? thats a different question and some ? probably based their votes on.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyDubbz wrote: »
    KRIT >>>

who?
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    yes
    R.D. wrote: »
    KRIT >>>

who?

that country dude who just dropped an album better than j. cole career, u might not understand what he sayin on there tho, accent strong, we know certain ? dont like that
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    ? hate for Wale blinds the fact that dude can spit
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    yes
    5th Letter wrote: »
    KRIT >>>

who?

that country dude who just dropped an album better than j. cole career, u might not understand what he sayin on there tho, accent strong, we know certain ? dont like that

Album better than Cole's career is a matter of subjectivity. But J Cole's career>>Big Krit's career and that is a fact which can not be disputed.

mainstream success wise yes, but we know more money/sales doesnt determine better music
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    no
    Trillfate wrote: »
    some of yall voted for/replied to this question:

"Who do u like better Wale or Kdot?" instead of the actual question..

This should be expected on the IC. Its been this way for over a decade. Yea I know Ive been here for awhile lol
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    no
    I voted no cause I think KL is slightly more skilled on the mic than Wale but wouldnt argue with anybody saying that are not far apart.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Wale is one of the nicest out. period.

Kendrick is not that lyrical honestly, his strengths are in flow, content, and storytelling. when it comes to wordplay and technical lyricism, very few of the new school is seeing Wale
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wale is TRASH .

Couldn't pay me to listen to a Full project by him .

(.......aight if the money right, then .....yeah .)
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited February 2015
    yes
    KRIT >>>

who?

Album better than Cole's career is a matter of subjectivity. But J Cole's career>>Big Krit's career and that is a fact which can not be disputed.

mainstream success wise yes, but we know more money/sales doesnt determine better music

Better career>>your opinion on who makes better music between Cole and Krit.

ok jamaica, in this thread since u disagree with me about krit having better albums this is what u say, u can have that, knowing u gon turn around in any other thread about joey bad ass or some other rapper having better catalogs than someone more successful n say the same ? i just said.
    but we know more money/sales doesnt determine better music

i guess that only counts when we talkin bout drake huh lol
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    KRIT >>>

who?

Better career>>your opinion on who makes better music between Cole and Krit.

ok jamaica, in this thread since u disagree with me about krit having better albums this is what u say, u can have that, knowing u gon turn around in any other thread about joey bad ass or some other rapper having better catalogs than someone more successful n say the same ? i just said.
    but we know more money/sales doesnt determine better music

i guess that only counts when we talkin bout drake huh lol

Money and sales do not determine a rappers skills and ability. Music is a matter of opinion. So that's irrelevant. Krit making better music is your opinion.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Don't sleep on Wale.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wale is boiling dumpster water.

Kendrick isnt as lyrical as some others of the new school, but as far as artistry goes hes unparalleled.
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kendrick is more so kinetic energy,flow,and story telling..

His metaphor game isn't all that..he doesn't wow me with double entendre like ab soul,k rino,nas,jay,big,jay electronica etc

He's good but a lil overrated in my book..

Wale is so so to me..wack voice..but to his credit his flow hits when it hits and his wordplay is decent..hes not really someone I enjoy listening to
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Yes, but he ain't gettin that nod around here.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Lmao I guess y'all don't remember when they had wale freestyle. Dude was straight ? . On wax tho not bad just not as good as kendrick
  • MaddRapper
    MaddRapper Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭
    no
    IMO Wale tries rap deeper than what he is..........Wale has the title of making nikkas think he is saying something deep but not really saying sh*t to me Wale is avg lyricist noot on Kendrick level but this is the IC so Im not surprised
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    no
    Wale dope as ?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    no
    Dammit I voted wrong