NFL scouts quit on the Jackson State's pro-day

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
Damn one event (the forty) and they pulled out.

Temperatures read 28 degrees.

Lined along the back fences of the Madison Healthplex Performance Center's outdoor turf field were roughly 20 NFL hopefuls dressed in shorts, shirts and shoes — some in just shorts and shoes — about to run their 40-yard dashes.

It was the first event of Jackson State's pro day on Thursday.

It turned out to be the last.

About 13 scouts (at least two from the Canadian Football League) commenced in a separate room for a brief meeting following the 40.

When they came out, one called all the players to gather around him.

The news was disappointing.

"They were cutting people after the 40, so I guess if your time wasn't perfect, they were cutting you," former JSU wide receiver Tobias Singleton said.

"I was looking forward to doing everything. I thought it was going to be a regular pro day."

Only one player made the cut with a 4.5 time: West Alabama and former Purvis wide receiver Stephanio McNair.

The players retreated from the huddle with confusion struck across their faces as they put on their warm-ups.

It was a harsh reminder of the cutthroat nature of the pro league.

"It's a business," said Singleton, who clocked an unofficial best 4.6 and had several of his family members attend. "You can't go into every situation looking for something to be good. It's an eye-opener. Now I know what I have to do."

The event started more than an hour after its scheduled 2:30 p.m. time.

With JSU making up a majority of the participants, its pro day also consisted of players from neighboring schools, such as Mississippi Valley State, Belhaven and Murray State whose best possible chances of making an NFL would be as undrafted free agents.

They all had to impress the scouts, most who just came from Ole Miss' pro day.

It seemed like a tough act to follow. But former JSU linebacker Ariane McCree still thought a 40 didn't tell the whole story.

"Yeah, I pretty much knew they would've cut if you didn't run a good enough time and you didn't finish all the drills at a good enough time," said McCree, whose unofficial best was 4.84. "But just one drill, maybe I could've understood they'd give us two or three more drills. But one drill, it's just — there are a lot of guys out there who can run fast but they can't jump. … You can't just eliminate one guy who doesn't do one thing right."

Said Singleton: "Really disappointing. I don't any words for it. But I can't hold my head down. There are a couple of (other) tryouts."

Comments

• HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah that's ? . Give these kids an opportunity.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of them dudes could be technically sound at their position but didn't get a chance.

All they look for in us is speed.
  • ibestrokin
    ibestrokin Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Options
    welp thats what ? get for not wanting to be with their own. they should look on the bright side though.....atleast their getting an education.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's that ? , I hope at least one of them blows up just because they got ? on. Hell, they all should've gotten more respect for running outside when it was that cold.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lewis Tillman went to JSU as well, and Eddie Payton, he was hell of a player too. HBCU's always get ? on when it comes to sports, always been that way, I guess they think the talent is inferior
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This whole story is a complete mess. ? that this is the business of the league. All these dudes were looking for is a chance. This is why I wish more top recruits went to HBCUs more but its a catch-22 though. If you don't go to a big and/or prestigious school then you won't get noticed as much as going to a HBCU and have to work that much harder.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hell with a catch 22 hbcu's were there for us when all else failed....the one place we know we could go to display our talents when pwc didnt want us....then up north and west coast schools started breaking barriers....it would be so dope to see these kids play ball on the swac/meac ...the bayou classic as is already bring in nice crowds annually, now imagine if 5-star 4-star recruits play at those schools....pwc would prolly be in trouble trying to buy those kids away from hbcu's.
  • ibestrokin
    ibestrokin Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Options
    thats what im saying though....? a catch 22.....if blacks would of bought the hbcu's and used crackaganda then we as a people could make money but ? always need acceptance from their white counter parts hence why i hate jackie robinson.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meh. None of us know if ? like this happens all the time

The NFL is definitely not anti-small school. They probably did their due dillegence before hand and knew wasnt no gems out there. Stop cryin
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ibestrokin wrote: »
    thats what im saying though....? a catch 22.....if blacks would of bought the hbcu's and used crackaganda then we as a people could make money but ? always need acceptance from their white counter parts hence why i hate jackie robinson.

Blacks don't own the hbcus?
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DillaDeaf wrote: »
    Some of the greatest players to ever play came from small schools....the very school those chumps walked out on produced bears legendary running back Walter Payton.....nfl scouts ain't ? for doing this.

Jerry Rice went to MSVS and McNair went to Alcorn

Around here, we still call it Valley or Miss. Valley . Not MSVS lol

Valley is literally 40 minutes down the road from me, not far all. One of the highlights back in the 90s of going to Miss. School for the Deaf (which is in Jackson), we literally right across the freeway from the Vet. Stadium, so they always took us JrHs and HS students to the Captial City Classic (Jacskon St. vs Alcorn). So I've seen McNair live twice, that dude killed JSU both years...I'll admit as a JSU fan I was salty as ? lmfao. But once he got into the league, the entire state of MS rode behind dude, including me.

Proud Alcornite here. Saw McNair live as a lil boy and he was most definitely the truth. Meet him about 10 years ago when I was a senior @ Alcorn. Real humble down to earth cat. The whole state of Mississippi was hurt behind his death.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I wish HBCU's would be the place for top tier athletes so these schools wouldn't soley rely on government funding to stay afloat, and be able get in on tv contracts and merchandising like the top schools.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img][/img]
    jee504 wrote: »
    This whole story is a complete mess. ? that this is the business of the league. All these dudes were looking for is a chance. This is why I wish more top recruits went to HBCUs more but its a catch-22 though. If you don't go to a big and/or prestigious school then you won't get noticed as much as going to a HBCU and have to work that much harder.

You right, and if they do they try to skew their numbers
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Meh. None of us know if ? like this happens all the time

The NFL is definitely not anti-small school. They probably did their due dillegence before hand and knew wasnt no gems out there. Stop cryin

Then why have em at all then? Just look at the tape across the board.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    John Taylor went to my alma mater, Delaware State. Jamaal Jackson, too.

HBCUs stay being disrespected.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    Some of the greatest players to ever play came from small schools....the very school those chumps walked out on produced bears legendary running back Walter Payton.....nfl scouts ain't ? for doing this.

Jerry Rice went to MSVS and McNair went to Alcorn

Bullet Bob Hayes and Nate Newton went to FAMU
    Doug Williams - Grambling State
    Mike Strahan - Texas Southern
    Jackie Slater - Jackson State
    Deacon Jones - MVSU
    Donald Driver - Alcorn St
    Shannon Sharpe - Savannah St
    Ed "Too Tall' Jones and Richard Dent - Tenn State

HBCUs have produced many great ones.

Donald Driver - Alcorn State
    Aeneas Williams - Southern