Ip Man 3: Donnie Yen, Mike Tyson, & CGI Bruce Lee

Options
sobek
sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bruh...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/boxing-champ-mike-tyson-signs-783886?
Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson will join the cast of Ip Man 3, Pegasus Motion Pictures has announced, setting up the prospect of some intense fighting scenes between Tyson and martial arts legend Donnie Yen, who reprises the eponymous role from the previous two Ip Man installments.

Principal photography on the $36 million Ip Man 3 commences today (March 25) in Shanghai, China, reuniting the team that made the first two Ip Man films: producer Raymond Wong, director Wilson Yip and writer Edmond Wong.

"Two years ago Mike Tyson opened up a Weibo [the Chinese microblogging site] account and the first question he asked was, 'Who is the best fighter in China?'" Pegasus chairman and Ip Man 3 producer Raymond Wong told THR. "Someone answered him 'Donnie Yen,' and that gave me an idea. For the third installment in the Ip Man series, we want to have an explosive fight, and Mike Tyson versus Donnie Yen fits the bill."

Tyson said in a statement: "Who is the best boxer and kung fu master in China? Wait for me, I am coming. Thank you for introducing me to Chinese kung fu."

Ip Man (1893-1972) was a Chinese martial artist who popularized the practice of Wing Chun, a discipline that specializes in close-range combat. One of his most famous pupils was Bruce Lee, who later developed his own discipline, Jeet Kune Do. Ip was born in Foshan, Guangdong, China. He moved to Hong Kong and opened his schools of Wing Chun in 1949.

Tyson is set to have a significant role in the threequel, playing a property developer who is also a street fighter. Apart from the introduction of Tyson in the film, kung fu icon Bruce Lee will also appear as a young pupil of Ip Man. The film's producers were unable to find an actor to portray Lee's intensity onscreen so have decided to use computer graphics to re-create the most authentic Lee in the film.

The two previous Ip Man films produced by Raymond Wong grossed $37 million worldwide. The threequel is tentatively scheduled for release in 3D in the first quarter of 2016.

Donnie Yen's portrayal of Ip Man is perhaps the most widely known, but there was also Wong Kar Wai's well-received The Grandmaster, starring Tony Leung as Ip, and Herman Yau's Ip Man: The Final Fight, starring Anthony Wong. Both films were released in 2013.

Said producer Wong: "The audience suffered Ip Man fatigue for a while, but the waves of Ip Man films has calmed down now, so now is the time to present our third installment."

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but ip man already fought a boxer.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea seen this a few days ago.. intrigued.
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tyson aint playn no games.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice Im interested
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CGI bruce Lee got me like ????

But interesting...
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds good will be checking this out the first 2 are great, hope tyson is speaking english, would he great if donnie could kick him in the mouth then tyson says "oh no you didn't, you ? with a brooklyn ? you bout to get ? up, imma ? you till you love me ? "
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm I the only one that doesn't think Donnie yen is a martial arts legend?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The second IP man was kinda cheesy the boxer storyline was weak.. not that storyline isthe first thing that comes to mind in these type of flicks but it was outstandingly cheesy
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Donnie Yen makes the better movies
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

After Jackie chan, Bruce and Jet Li, u got to think of Donnie

I agree. Donnie is dope. Some would probably put Jaa ahead of him but a lot of his talent was wasted, imo.
  • thephantasm
    Options
    Y wouldnt jaa b ahead of yen?

What has yen ever done. EVER done to solidify himself as a great?!

First off, he has no history.

No footage of him in real fights, no professional bouts, no off camera feats.

Tony Jaa was on the Muai Tai and Kickboxing program IN ring IN REAL combat for YEARS before he put movies out.

The only movie of note thats legit that yen did was iron monkey.

The ip stuff was garbage.

Chan lost to Li in Forbidden Kindom AND hes super old, theres no coming back from that.

Jaa stunts in real environments, not sets.

Yen v tyson is gonna be a waste of camera.

Rousey got more juice then yen.

I aint fallin for the hong kong fooey.

Yen, if your movie didnt come out in America, it didnt come out. This aint the 60s.

Bruce lee was talented, but boney. Enter the Dragon, he stole one the skinnyest people at the tournament.

Naw.

Jaa and Li are legit. The Elephant and the Monkey King.

Battle tested.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I feel like Donnie yen been the nicest for a while now. His use of mma is cold game. More practical fight scenes.

Tony Jaa was on the Muai Tai and Kickboxing program IN ring IN REAL combat for YEARS before he put movies out.

Chan lost to Li in Forbidden Kindom AND hes super old, theres no coming back from that.

Yen, if your movie didnt come out in America, it didnt come out. This aint the 60s.

Bruce lee was talented, but boney. Enter the Dragon, he stole one the skinnyest people at the tournament.

Naw.

Battle tested.

You sound dumb as ? . You better do ya googles on yen. He's mastered multiple martial art forms. And has won more competitions. Foh. Tony jaa is a trained stunt man. Shouldn't even be in this conversation.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    yum

........Eww.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I feel like Donnie yen been the nicest for a while now. His use of mma is cold game. More practical fight scenes.

Chan and and Li are legends in the game and has more universal appeal which is why they deserve to be on the list

• thephantasm
    Options

Naw.

Battle tested.

You sound dumb as ? . You better do ya googles on yen. He's mastered multiple martial art forms. And has won more competitions. Foh. Tony jaa is a trained stunt man. Shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Its not my job to google a performer.

? its 2015 who hasnr mastered multiple art forms? Thats basis.

Youre stating opinion. Yen dont have a Protector up his sleeve and his movie set glows. ON THAT FAKE ? .

Only the uneducated ? with yen. Like u.

Trained stunt man is a higher rank than "won more competitions".

Kids win martial arts competitions.

You just said some ? ? .
  • thephantasm
    Options
    Only on the ic would donnie yen be discussed over Mike Tyson.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Naw.

Battle tested.

You do know they have video of Bruce demonstrating his art and power at a clinic and stories of him fighting masters over his right to teach