thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Thats called signing up for karate.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tony jaa >> yen
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Not sure what some of y'all talkin' about but Donnie Yen in his own league next to Bruce Lee, Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Everyone else is beneath them.
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of Ip Man 3, they could've made this into another different movie. Donnie Yen's upcoming Killer Kung Fu film looks dope.
  • thephantasm
    ? break a board.
  • thephantasm
    Its Shreipai.

Tony Jaas kboxing fights were under the name Shreipai, or how ever its spelled.

Yen will always be a ? as long as the crounching tiger hidden dragon situation goes unaddressed. They redid his iron monkey script and now that ive mentioned it rewatch and its obvious. Why? Because he never faught out side of a movie set.

All signed martial artists have an accessable vault catalague pagage that can be accessed by top brass.

Yen doesnt, which is why he lost his role in memoriors of a gesha. Buisness wize, hes inept.

Then li crushed him on hero and still has the title of monkey king to this day. Fact.

Jaa li chan and lee got in off of kickboxing streetfighting professional wrestling in deathmatches and chario boxing, respectively. Yen got in off michelle yo. Fact.

Cgi is the name of the vault portfolio of martial arts. Its the real Bruce Lee. Goi hung, and all that.

But lees movies were limited in production, meaning he was limited as a practitioner. As long as there's movies, there will b Bruce Lee footage. Fact.

Athleticism means EVERYTHING in a real fight. Being able to perform is the definition of athletic. Outclassing is Jaa. Fact.

Lets get to this point.

Yen doesn't have an original technique in his arsonal.

Peroid.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sammo and Bolo are great as well... Yen is a legend
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantasm must be from the same country as Jaa u sound like Manny P fans when they discredit every other boxer in his defense lol. Im a Jaa fan but he isnt better than Yen who has decades of work in the game
  • thephantasm
    But where ARE these decades of work?

Either hes the best or hes put in decades of WORK.

Its one or the other.
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Its Shreipai.

Tony Jaas kboxing fights were under the name Shreipai, or how ever its spelled.

Yen will always be a ? as long as the crounching tiger hidden dragon situation goes unaddressed. They redid his iron monkey script and now that ive mentioned it rewatch and its obvious. Why? Because he never faught out side of a movie set.

All signed martial artists have an accessable vault catalague pagage that can be accessed by top brass.

Yen doesnt, which is why he lost his role in memoriors of a gesha. Buisness wize, hes inept.

Then li crushed him on hero and still has the title of monkey king to this day. Fact.

Jaa li chan and lee got in off of kickboxing streetfighting professional wrestling in deathmatches and chario boxing, respectively. Yen got in off michelle yo. Fact.

Cgi is the name of the vault portfolio of martial arts. Its the real Bruce Lee. Goi hung, and all that.

But lees movies were limited in production, meaning he was limited as a practitioner. As long as there's movies, there will b Bruce Lee footage. Fact.

Athleticism means EVERYTHING in a real fight. Being able to perform is the definition of athletic. Outclassing is Jaa. Fact.

Lets get to this point.

Yen doesn't have an original technique in his arsonal.

Peroid.

You put a lot of "facts" and "periods" throughout that post but you still didn't actually present anything much in terms of solid proof or sound logic.

How is Yen a ? when he's considered one of the most, if not the most popular martial arts action stars in China today? If he's considered a joke because of not having any record in competition, why does he have the statue that he does? Memoirs of a Geisha? Why would he have been deemed unfit to be in that movie because of not having competed when there wasn't any real fighting in it and none of the actors in it were martial artists anyway? What martial arts has Ken Watanabe practiced and competed in? Li beating Yen in Hero? Well I think he should've considering he was the star of the film. But seriously, what does winning/losing a fight in a movie have to do with anything when your argument is about real combat legitimacy?

Jet started off in choreographed, form-based Wushu completions like Donnie Yen, the only difference is Donnie trains in practical combat as well. Jet to my knowledge has never competed in a sanctioned or non-sanctioned, full-contact fight either. Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao all started out in the Peking Opera School. A performing arts school that teaches students martial arts (choreographed & form-based), weapons, gymnastics, and acting. The school has also produced others who have gone on to join the Hong Kong action industry as well. Jackie Chan didn't actually formally learn martial arts until later on when he took up Hapkido. Michelle Yeoh was a ballet dancer who basically received on the job training when she was mentored by Jackie in fight choreography, until she later on actually studied martial arts. Death matches? What are you talking about?

And I have no idea what your talking about when you mentioned CGI. In the article I posted, it said: "The film's producers were unable to find an actor to portray Lee's intensity onscreen so have decided to use computer graphics to re-create the most authentic Lee in the film." in other words, it's going to be computer generated images with his likeness and not actual vault footage.

And I've looked under the name you said Jaa fought under but still haven't found any videos of him yet. If you or anyone else knows where to find it, please just post the link. I'd be very interested in seeing it if it's actually out there. One interesting thing to note though is while the claim of him in Thai fights is on his unofficial fan website, it's nowhere to be found on what appears to be his official website which is quite strange considering they list every single accomplishment and accolade of his such as him winning medals in gymnastics and track, but make no mention of the one about him being 5 and 0 in competition.

In terms of athletic ability, the type of athleticism you've referenced in regards to Jaa is completely irreverent, and impractical. What does being able to jump high, do flips, bboy windmills, and running across peoples shoulders during a NBA half-time show have to do with being credible as a real life, legit martial artist?

Also, in-terms of originality, what does having an original arsenal have to do with legitimacy or effectiveness, especially when a large percent of that arsenal is designed solely for film and non-practical in the real world? Most martial artist, whether traditional practitioners or MMA fighters rarely step outside of centuries old traditional techniques. But so what? Having an original set of techniques still doesn't mean being automatically superior to that of a traditionalist. Also, many of the moves Jaa's displayed in his films have just been a conglomerate of the many tradition styles he's studied.

In no way am I trying to disrespect Jaa. I'm a fan of his. I think he's one of the most gifted performers the martial arts world has ever seen and is more dynamic cinematic wise then Yen. If this was just about who's the better athlete, it should be Jaa hands-down. However, I just find your arguments of Jaa's superiority over Yen in terms of real world legitimacy to be pretty much flawed, bias and baseless.

And I'm still not going to dignify those Bruce Lee comments with a response...
  • thephantasm
    You have obviously never seen Enter the Dragon.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *2016 and still waiting for proof of those Tony Jaa fights*

giphy.gif
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    That Donnie Yen and Tyson fight was dope af. You can tell they have mutual respect for one another and they gave Mike a dope role.

Donnie Yen is a better and more accomplished actor than Tony Jaa by far. As far as martial arts. Yen has a much smoother choreography than both Jaa and Chan. He's a complete package. Sometimes it's not about who does the most stunts but who performs a cleaner delivery. Jackie Chan was a stuntman for Bruce so does that make him a better fighter??

That answers your question that Yen >>> Jaa.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dude is a ? idiot...
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruh yen is that man, dude be throwing bjj and wrestling in his fights like it's nothing...

Plus that fight with Mike was the best american boxing vs kung fu I've ever seen in my life, that ? was beautiful
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yall overhyping the fight
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yall overhyping the fight

Who is overhyping it? It was a good fight, who said anything more than that?
  • BangEm_Bart
    DWO wrote: »
    Bruh yen is that man, dude be throwing bjj and wrestling in his fights like it's nothing...

Plus that fight with Mike was the best american boxing vs kung fu I've ever seen in my life, that ? was beautiful

Payed homage to Bruce Lee vs Kareem Abdul Jabar. It shows how much respect China has for Donnie Yen.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody got a link..cant find one wit legit subtitles
  • BangEm_Bart
    The subtitles were ? horrible. I would google subscene after I get the torrent to find the best one if that works.