Ole Miss Student Indicted For Hanging Noose Around Statue Honoring School's First Black Enrollee

Options
Trillfate
Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
n-JAMES-MEREDITH-STATUE-large570.jpg

A federal grand jury indicted a student at the University of Mississippi on two separate civil rights charges on Friday for hanging a noose and a flag depicting a Confederate symbol around a campus statue honoring James Meredith, the first African-American student to attend the university.

Ole Miss student Graeme Phillip Harris was indicted on one count of conspiracy to violate civil rights and one count of using a threat of force to intimidate black students because of their race or color, prosecutors said.

"This shameful and ignorant act is an insult to all Americans and a violation of our most strongly-held values," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement. "No one should ever be made to feel threatened or intimidated because of what they look like or who they are. By taking appropriate action to hold wrongdoers accountable, the Department of Justice is sending a clear message that flagrant infringements of our historic civil rights will not go unnoticed or unpunished."

Prosecutors said Harris conspired with other students and draped the racially offensive items around the statue on the morning of Feb. 16, 2014. The Mississippi NAACP described the act as a "racial hate crime."

The FBI and the University of Mississippi Police Department are currently investigating the case, which is being prosecuted by the DOJ’s civil rights division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Mississippi.

Meredith enrolled in the university in 1962, but not without battling heavy opposition from students, faculty and the Mississippi governor. Protests ensued, prompting federal authorities to send more than 3,000 soldiers and 500 U.S. marshals to quell the riots. More than 200 people were left injured.

"I chose as my target the University of Mississippi, which in 1960 was the holiest temple of white supremacy in America, next to the U.S. Capitol and the White House, both of which were under the control of segregationists and their collaborators," Meredith wrote in his 2012 book, A Mission from ? : A Memoir and Challenge for America.

"I reasoned that if I could enter the University of Mississippi as its first known black student, I would fracture the system of state-enforced white supremacy in Mississippi. It would drive a stake into the heart of the beast.”

screen-shot-2015-03-29-at-12-13-32-pm.png?w=600&h=410

Comments

• Kakarot
    Kakarot Members Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Federal charges this early into his life. Lmfao he is ? .
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    getting the Feds involved might make these cowards think twice...
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    life comes at you fast.
  • Kakarot
    Kakarot Members Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If those are actual laws I think those will stick. I'm no lawyer though.
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Compared to what these crackers at these predominantly white southern colleges usually do...this is lightweight...but nobody should be surprised at this...
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Compared to what these crackers at these predominantly white southern colleges usually do...this is lightweight...but nobody should be surprised at this...

Nobody is
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    n-JAMES-MEREDITH-STATUE-large570.jpg

A federal grand jury indicted a student at the University of Mississippi on two separate civil rights charges on Friday for hanging a noose and a flag depicting a Confederate symbol around a campus statue honoring James Meredith, the first African-American student to attend the university.

Ole Miss student Graeme Phillip Harris was indicted on one count of conspiracy to violate civil rights and one count of using a threat of force to intimidate black students because of their race or color, prosecutors said.

"This shameful and ignorant act is an insult to all Americans and a violation of our most strongly-held values," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement. "No one should ever be made to feel threatened or intimidated because of what they look like or who they are. By taking appropriate action to hold wrongdoers accountable, the Department of Justice is sending a clear message that flagrant infringements of our historic civil rights will not go unnoticed or unpunished."

Prosecutors said Harris conspired with other students and draped the racially offensive items around the statue on the morning of Feb. 16, 2014. The Mississippi NAACP described the act as a "racial hate crime."

The FBI and the University of Mississippi Police Department are currently investigating the case, which is being prosecuted by the DOJ’s civil rights division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Mississippi.

Meredith enrolled in the university in 1962, but not without battling heavy opposition from students, faculty and the Mississippi governor. Protests ensued, prompting federal authorities to send more than 3,000 soldiers and 500 U.S. marshals to quell the riots. More than 200 people were left injured.

"I chose as my target the University of Mississippi, which in 1960 was the holiest temple of white supremacy in America, next to the U.S. Capitol and the White House, both of which were under the control of segregationists and their collaborators," Meredith wrote in his 2012 book, A Mission from ? : A Memoir and Challenge for America.

"I reasoned that if I could enter the University of Mississippi as its first known black student, I would fracture the system of state-enforced white supremacy in Mississippi. It would drive a stake into the heart of the beast.”

screen-shot-2015-03-29-at-12-13-32-pm.png?w=600&h=410

fark_AyTubBc5Hr51cqrlMJ4a0ILjDWw.gif
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is definitely the fault of Waka Flocka's use of the N-word and hip hop. This good hearted white boy deserves a 2nd chance like that SAE Frat boy. How many uncle tom negroes can they round up for another press conference?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Man ? all that why these black rappers always saying ? ? It's these gotdamn ? rappers that are the real problem.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me know when they start indicting and federally charging these murderers behind a badge
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is definitely the fault of Waka Flocka's use of the N-word and hip hop. This good hearted white boy deserves a 2nd chance like that SAE Frat boy. How many uncle tom negroes can they round up for another press conference?

It's only a matter of time. It always is. smh. We have to be the most forgiving group of people on the planet. ? is damn near disgusting at times.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im surprised he was brought up on charges.