5 Feminist Myths That Will Not Die

Options

Comments

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    There was a time where feminism was a necessary movement and ideology.

Even in the beginning, feminists tended to argue for women's rights without the accompanying responsibilities (ie. the right to vote - which they obviously should have had - without a legal duty to serve in the military. In Western society, at one point men were legally responsible for providing for their wives and could actually be held accountable for their crimes or forced to pay their debts).
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When u account for profession, experience, education, hours worked, etc there is still a wage gap in industries such as IT, Science, Finance, etc

Across the board, men hold more positions of leadership

Men dominate the political arena, which is obviously a problem

Sex trafficking and on campus sexual assault numbers are misleading as well... But considering there is no centralized nation database for these instances and not every case is reported its hard to come to any real conclusion besides sex trafficking and on campus assaults are big problems

It's one thing to say the numbers are misleading, but to say that we live in a society that encourages the respect of women and now gender inequality is a thing of the past is another thing

The nerds are an easy target right? Women don't get into those fields from the jump and your pay is more aligned towards your skills. People burn the midnight oil in tech and science fields without extra pay. Women love to spend money recklessly, so i can see why they aren't into finance.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »

That time has passed.

This isn't really true. It should be, but it's not. The time for all isms should be passed. Everybody should be seeking the upliftment of the human race regardless of race, religion, gender, etc... But humans are stupid creatures and we continue to allow ourselves to be divided and mistreat each other because of those divisions.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »

Nice try. Good luck getting anyone on here to look at a video over 2 minutes let alone one of ppl just talking. I ? with Stephan Molyneaux, he has some good videos on certain topics with a common sense, philosophical approach.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    the fact that these MRA ass authors also support white supremacy?

hate speech.

if they talk this bad bout they own women, imagine what they say about us!?!?!

I've never heard of MRAs (Men's Rights Activists) supporting white supremacy and I don't know what the people from the site you all are talking about have said about women. Their criticism of feminism tends to be on point whatever their other views are (like I said, I think a focus on sexism against men is just as irrational. Society isn't 'set up' for the benefit of women anymore than it is for men).

Black people shouldn't be any more concerned about being disrespected or mistreated by white people than they are with being mistreated by other black people.
    Everybody should be seeking the upliftment of the human race regardless of race, religion, gender, etc...

Or the upliftment of all sentient beings regardless of species.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    When u account for profession, experience, education, hours worked, etc there is still a wage gap in industries such as IT, Science, Finance, etc

Sex trafficking and on campus sexual assault numbers are misleading as well... But considering there is no centralized nation database for these instances and not every case is reported its hard to come to any real conclusion besides sex trafficking and on campus assaults are big problems

It's one thing to say the numbers are misleading, but to say that we live in a society that encourages the respect of women and now gender inequality is a thing of the past is another thing

The nerds are an easy target right? Women don't get into those fields from the jump and your pay is more aligned towards your skills. People burn the midnight oil in tech and science fields without extra pay. Women love to spend money recklessly, so i can see why they aren't into finance.

Again when she account for factors such as experience, education and skillset their is still a gap

Women love to spend money? Smh

That's the type of thinking/attitudes that would serve as an obstacle for a woman seeking a position in finance

Regardless this woman is cheap and so are a lot of other women I know

And part of the reason why not a lot of women enter into these fields is because we as a society don't really encourage girls to enter into the STEM fileds
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Again when she account for factors such as experience, education and skillset their is still a gap

That's the type of thinking/attitudes that would serve as an obstacle for a woman seeking a position in finance

And part of the reason why not a lot of women enter into these fields is because we as a society don't really encourage girls to enter into the STEM fileds

Society should not be encouraging equal results only opportunity you stupid liberal. Not should it be trying to enforce changes of attitude.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited March 2015
    Options

Society doesn't even encourage boys to get into STEM. Nerds are bullied and treated like ? for being smart yet succeed regardless. Nobody is keeping you out of STEM. Aren't females going to college at a higher rate? Females always ? on technology anyway talking all that boys and their gadgets ? . The last statement was me being stereotypical for humor. I honestly don't know why Finance would be such an obstacle other than the fact that it's really driven by handshakes. Nobody is keeping women from creating their own financial institutions.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That time has passed.

This isn't really true. It should be, but it's not. The time for all isms should be passed. Everybody should be seeking the upliftment of the human race regardless of race, religion, gender, etc... But humans are stupid creatures and we continue to allow ourselves to be divided and mistreat each other because of those divisions.

sexism in america is just as much a benefit as a detriment for women.

No matter what law or policy they draw up women and men will never be equal.

nature >>

I didn't say anything about people being treated equally, but people should be treated fairly. If a woman does the same exact job with the same exact quality as a man, she deserves the same exact salary. There is no reason to gyp her on the money just because she doesn't have a ? .
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I've never heard any of these except the 70 cents on the dollar one
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Women love to spend >>other peoples<< money recklessly, so i can see why they aren't into finance.

quick correction
    Thanks
    -Shuff
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Myth: Feminism benefits black women.

Fact: It does not benefit black women at all.
  • desertrain10
    Options

Society doesn't even encourage boys to get into STEM. Nerds are bullied and treated like ? for being smart yet succeed regardless. Nobody is keeping you out of STEM. Aren't females going to college at a higher rate? Females always ? on technology anyway talking all that boys and their gadgets ? . The last statement was me being stereotypical for humor. I honestly don't know why Finance would be such an obstacle other than the fact that it's really driven by handshakes. Nobody is keeping women from creating their own financial institutions.

I know you were being humorous, my point was in reality that way of thinking, sterotypes can play a big role in why James and not Marie was hired

lol @ create ur own financial institution as if it were easy ... So basically your saying life isn't fair so stop ur ?

Boys are encouraged to enter into the STEM way more so then girls.

For example, the marketing of pc/video games, toy science labs, toy cars, etc is male focused

Male characters are featured on the boxes, star in the ads, most lead video game characters are male, etc

And considering that generally most of us decide what career path we want to pursue based on what excites us most and what we are most passionate about as kids, this can help explain why so many more boys than girls become interested in math, computer science and engineering

These little boys grow up loving cars or video games and subsequently want to design something of their own

It's a form of gender socialization

I know when I was young I loved video games but as I grew older it became something that "girls weren't suppose to enjoy" so it was kinda confusing and my femininity was questioned so I can see the need for more strong female game characters

Things are changing though

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Not every claim made by feminists have been true, of course, but on the whole this is still a reactionary article. You will find white supremacists and conservatives doing the same sort of thing with respect to race. Even if you can find a few claims made by liberals and black radicals that do not stand up to scrutiny, that doesn't challenge the basic fact that blacks are an oppressed people. A similar thing is true here too, to a lesser extent.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That time has passed.

sexism in america is just as much a benefit as a detriment for women.

No matter what law or policy they draw up women and men will never be equal.

nature >>

I didn't say anything about people being treated equally, but people should be treated fairly. If a woman does the same exact job with the same exact quality as a man, she deserves the same exact salary. There is no reason to gyp her on the money just because she doesn't have a ? .

I agree, but thats usually not the case.

Just take a quick second to think.

You ever watch a breakfast club interview?

You think angela yee and c the ? are putting in the same work/ pulling in the same # of viewers?

Why should they be getting the same paper just because they likely hold the same job title.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options

I know you were being humorous, my point was in reality that way of thinking, sterotypes can play a big role in why James and not Marie was hired

lol @ create ur own financial institution as if it were easy ... So basically your saying life isn't fair so stop ur ?

For example, the marketing of pc/video games, toy science labs, toy cars, etc is male focused

Male characters are featured on the boxes, star in the ads, most lead video game characters are male, etc

And considering that generally most of us decide what career path we want to pursue based on what excites us most and what we are most passionate about as kids, this can help explain why so many more boys than girls become interested in math, computer science and engineering

These little boys grow up loving cars or video games and subsequently want to design something of their own

I know when I was young I loved video games but as I grew older it became something that "girls weren't suppose to enjoy" so it was kinda confusing and my femininity was questioned so I can see the need for more strong female game characters

I said create a financial institution not a bank. If you are educated, you should able to open your own financial services firm and get other like minded females to build with you. We are living in an age of technology. Tech should be inspiration within itself. Let your track record of customer satisfaction speak for you. Another stereotype is the wife maintaining the money and the man making it, so financial ignorance. Play with the image that you want to them to see. Marketing actually works better than complaining.

STEM does not focus exclusively around video games. There is nothing fancy an inviting about Biology unless you love knowledge. I actually know a few females that are in STEM (biology, medical, engineer). Still there are plenty more female protagonist these days not to mention and increased focus on video game sexuality because nerds that don't get ? shouldn't enjoy virtual eye candy either. There is also a heavy focus on build a character so you can be whatever you want. Regardless, females play a ? ton of games that aren't character driven games on mobile. Why aren't they interested in creating those games like Kim Kardashian, but actually do the programming? I'm talking about coding at 3AM to meet a deadline. You think every boy who plays a game wants to be a game developer? You have to be interested in tech in the first place on another level to even notice what's going on beyond button mashing. They are creating the game that they themselves want to play. Boys aren't supposed to enjoy videogames as adults either because it's considered waste of time but mobile games have changed that perception and it's an easy market to get into as a female game developer.

Females want it both ways. The CEO of HTC is a female and she actually created the company along with VIA, yet she just recently lost a lawsuit for sexual discrimination against another company. So while suing for sexual harassment, as chairman of HTC, she recently forced out the previous and took over as CEO and Chairman. Looks like she wants it both ways. All the noise about females not being in tech was started by a particular female wanted to force people to like her wack ass game and used sex to gain influence from game publishers.

• zombie
    Options
    Ouroboros wrote: »

Nice try. Good luck getting anyone on here to look at a video over 2 minutes let alone one of ppl just talking. I ? with Stephan Molyneaux, he has some good videos on certain topics with a common sense, philosophical approach.

I watched the video and these ? are evil as ?
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ouroboros wrote: »

Yeah I knew nobody was gonna listen to that ? . Oh well I guess.

I think Molyneux is a nut but he does bring up some good points.
  • desertrain10
    Options

I said create a financial institution not a bank. If you are educated, you should able to open your own financial services firm and get other like minded females to build with you. We are living in an age of technology. Tech should be inspiration within itself. Let your track record of customer satisfaction speak for you. Another stereotype is the wife maintaining the money and the man making it, so financial ignorance. Play with the image that you want to them to see. Marketing actually works better than complaining.

STEM does not focus exclusively around video games. There is nothing fancy an inviting about Biology unless you love knowledge. I actually know a few females that are in STEM (biology, medical, engineer). Still there are plenty more female protagonist these days not to mention and increased focus on video game sexuality because nerds that don't get ? shouldn't enjoy virtual eye candy either. There is also a heavy focus on build a character so you can be whatever you want. Regardless, females play a ? ton of games that aren't character driven games on mobile. Why aren't they interested in creating those games like Kim Kardashian, but actually do the programming? I'm talking about coding at 3AM to meet a deadline. You think every boy who plays a game wants to be a game developer? You have to be interested in tech in the first place on another level to even notice what's going on beyond button mashing. They are creating the game that they themselves want to play. Boys aren't supposed to enjoy videogames as adults either because it's considered waste of time but mobile games have changed that perception and it's an easy market to get into as a female game developer.

Females want it both ways. The CEO of HTC is a female and she actually created the company along with VIA, yet she just recently lost a lawsuit for sexual discrimination against another company. So while suing for sexual harassment, as chairman of HTC, she recently forced out the previous and took over as CEO and Chairman. Looks like she wants it both ways. All the noise about females not being in tech was started by a particular female wanted to force people to like her wack ass game and used sex to gain influence from game publishers.

Lol @ the kim kardashian app

Ur being disingenuous

Sure more women should start their own companies/ tech startups, but fact is the STEM fields are male dominated. And it's because of a multitude of reasons

Women being allergic to books and working long hours is not one

And we aren't just naturally disinterested in tech

Girls historically have not been as encouraged to go into into these fields as their male counter parts

At least imho ... And there's plenty of studies that have suggested such

I just used gender typed toys and how video games are largely marketing for boys as an example

My point being the toys, games we play with as children have an incredible influence on us.

While it may be going too far to say that toys create a child’s career path, it certainly affects them

Another factor worth discussing is that girls don't see a lot of women working in these fields particularly in positions of power so that can be discouraging

Not to say there aren't people including women who find the STEM fields boring and rather go another route

People have a choice in the career path they choose to take

But let's not act like that choice isn't made under heavy pressure

More women in these high paying industries would help to close the wage gap significantly and help grow the economy

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    Myth: Feminism benefits black women.

Fact: It does not benefit black women at all.

How could feminism not benefit black women at all?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options

Ur being disingenuous

Sure more women should start their own companies/ tech startups, but fact is the STEM fields are male dominated. And it's because of a multitude of reasons

Girls historically have not been as encouraged to go into into these fields as their male counter parts

I just used gender typed toys and how video games are largely marketing for boys as an example

My point being the toys, games we play with as children have an incredible influence on us.

While it may be going too far to say that toys create a child’s career path, it certainly affects them

Another factor worth discussing is that girls don't see a lot of women working in these fields particularly in positions of power so that can be discouraging

Not to say there aren't people including women who find the STEM fields boring and rather go another route

More women in these high paying industries would help to close the wage gap significantly and help grow the economy

It's making a ? tone of money and it's an example of a female entering tech and finding success, but i'm suggesting to go further and make it yourself. There was nothing humorous intended in that statement. Games are the only technology based product marketed towards boys because idk, they are trying to sell things to boys? When an increasing amount of females show interest, more will be geared towards them. What i'm seeing instead of creation, is an attack on products that boys like because they must be protected from ? while females can enjoy men unbridled.

What heavy pressure? Self imposed societal pressures that affect what males and females are supposed to consider as the norm? One of my male co-workers is going to school to be a Nurse. It weirded me out because we think of a Nurse a certain way. But truth be told, that ? is hard and guess what, it's a STEM field that doesn't get attention it deserves. If you feel pressured by anybody, then blame yourself for succumbing. Feminism is supposed to be about creating the opportunity, not just ? talking. Like i said, i know a lot of women that are already the STEM field but society likes a news piece so they focus on Videogames which actually don't matter at all to society other then for training purposes.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I honestly dont give a ? if women are paid less than men. We need that extra money to buy ? and lawyers and to pay that ? child support and alimony.

? got the nerve to ask for the same money as men when they dont have the same gender related problems that come with being a man.

When women start paying for their own food and entertainment when they go out with a man. When they start paying palimony at the same rate men pay alimony. When they start getting arrested for domestic violence at the same rate as men and need lawyers to fight the case, when they start taking care of their spouse AND kids like men have had to for the past couple hundred thousands years THEN I'll have some empathy for them.

When women have to worry about B.R.I.s (? Related Incidents) then we can talk about financial equality Until then...? WE DESERVE THAT EXTRA 25% SIT YOUR ASS DOWN SOMEWHERE AND ? .
  • desertrain10
    Options

Ur being disingenuous

It's making a ? tone of money and it's an example of a female entering tech and finding success, but i'm suggesting to go further and make it yourself. There was nothing humorous intended in that statement. Games are the only technology based product marketed towards boys because idk, they are trying to sell things to boys? When an increasing amount of females show interest, more will be geared towards them. What i'm seeing instead of creation, is an attack on products that boys like because they must be protected from ? while females can enjoy men unbridled.

What heavy pressure? Self imposed societal pressures that affect what males and females are supposed to consider as the norm? One of my male co-workers is going to school to be a Nurse. It weirded me out because we think of a Nurse a certain way. But truth be told, that ? is hard and guess what, it's a STEM field that doesn't get attention it deserves. If you feel pressured by anybody, then blame yourself for succumbing. Feminism is supposed to be about creating the opportunity, not just ? talking. Like i said, i know a lot of women that are already the STEM field but society likes a news piece so they focus on Videogames which actually don't matter at all to society other then for training purposes.

I Lol'd the kim kardashian app because I'm sure men are largely responsible for the coding of the app

And this isn't an attack on men or the things boys love ...wtf?

Even though from my experiences working with men in the IT industry, I don't always free comfortable/welcome ... But I digress

This about addressing the gender wage gap in a meaningful and realistic way

Again according to labor statistic numbers women are severely underrepresented in all the STEM fields not just the gaming industry... A simple Google search will tell u that

And STEM fields are the highest paying industries

More women in STEM means a greater pool or talent, and a higher quality of life for more women and their children ... And it helps grow the economy

That's why I feel this an important issue

I'm not ? just to ?

And yes there are things we can do as parents and as a society to better spark girls passion for technology, science, math and engineering so there will be more women in STEM

Same as we should be doing things so more blks into the STEM industries

Considering that women are concentrated in low-wage jobs, if we were to raise the minimum wage they'll have an immediate impact on the wage gap as well

• zombie
    Options
    Perhaps women simply don't want to get into stem and perhaps we should not push them into anything and allow them the liberty to choose