The K-Dot "1st week failure" should finally tell us to STOP placing emphasis on sales....

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now, we all know he didn't fail anything, but some people (*cough* *cough* Sion *cough*) had him selling upwards of 700k+ in his first week, and he only did half of that, which is way better than I can say for Lupe's jawn. (which is a disgrace to see him debut that low for such a fantastic LP)

I think it's time we stop giving a ? overall about who sells what, because I'm sure that now matter how great someone's album is, in this day and age, they'll NEVER sell what the expectations are.

Comments

• LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Now, we all know he didn't fail anything, but some people (*cough* *cough* Sion *cough*) had him selling upwards of 700k+ in his first week, and he only did half of that, which is way better than I can say for Lupe's jawn. (which is a disgrace to see him debut that low for such a fantastic LP)

I think it's time we stop giving a ? overall about who sells what, because I'm sure that now matter how great someone's album is, in this day and age, they'll NEVER sell what the expectations are.

So sad... :((
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, all it shows everyone is the support you get when you do "black" ?

kendrick stuck his neck out...he could have made another pop cd but this was his way of letting the community know he bout that.

Black people can go buy expensive shoes in the $700 dollar range, and the ones that can't standing in line for a pair of $200 dollar jordans.

Even though almost all black people won't deny the power of music, why can't they put their money towards a project with this much of a charge?

Imagine if people were spending that $200 or $700 on kendricks project like nipseys fans did? Just go buy multiple units..hold em or give em away who gives a ? .

Because outside of black people this album isnt going to get much bump....
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    does his first week sales just include physical disks?

I would love to see the total for all forms of media
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The one thing Interscope is supposed to be good at is managing and capitalizing off of controversy. I can't believe they did absolutely nothing with the control verse buzz.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a failure but I think he breaks 500k first week of they didn't screw up the release
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know Kendrick wanted this album to sell well, but if he really wanted to
    do some numbers, he should've changed his whole approach on this album.

At least 5 Dre beats, and a slick verse.
    His own production team, and DJ Quick.
    Further feats. Cube, Snoop, Jay, Soul and Q.
    Hooks: some unreleased Nate Dogg, himself, George clinton, and Charlie Wilson.

Still West Coast af, and it probably would do better numbers.
    But ? the numbers right now, numbers ain't music. And the music is good.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How much an artist sells has never been indicative of the quality of the album, nor does it affect my personal enjoyment of the album. Why the average consumer puts so much emphasis on record sales has always been a mystery to me. On the business side, I'm sure the artists and record labels would like to sell as much as possible. If you are one of those who care about sales kys first....then remember that sales don't stop after the 1st week. Illmatic sold ~ 59,000 in it's first week. It's probably sitting at around 1.7 mill now.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO @ 300K being a first week failure in ANY era. It definitely shows that you shouldn't overhype artists based on their buzz and just be happy an album did what it did, I'll say that much.

Sidenote: Prolly something left said in the album thread, but are we gonna finally stop frontin on Flying Lotus now?
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't like this album
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    LMAO @ 300K being a first week failure in ANY era. It definitely shows that you shouldn't overhype artists based on their buzz and just be happy an album did what it did, I'll say that much.

Sidenote: Prolly something left said in the album thread, but are we gonna finally stop frontin on Flying Lotus now?

• StoneColdMikey
    Options
    J COLE didn't drop out the blue. he announced his album a few weeks before it came out.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    1 thing both Lupe and Kdot have in common with their respective new albums and possibly a reason for lower sales than most thought, is neither of them will be played in the clubs or BBQ's over the spring/summer.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In this day and age you need visuals to be visible.
    Drop some damn videos..

Other then that, great album.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    IC is the only place where people saying that kendrick didn't sell good lol, only Cuz one person predicted to sell over 700k
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Sion just acts like a 12 year old girl sometime sbut he means well. Still my boy.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J Cole just went Plat, Drake just went Plat, I'm sure Kendrick can do the same

Damn I just noticed that. This is J Cole's first platinum album. I guess that Beyonce no promotion strategy has something behind it. I wouldn't expect much in terms of opening week sales though and Kendrick dropped this album earlier than the actual release date too.