My Grades Matter (parenting)

VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
A father buys his son some Jordan's and writes "my grades matter" on them, which he has to wear until he brings his grades up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-PGHuaGc-k

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the jordan logo helps me as a parent get my point across

tumblr_m0alrwfpQd1r3tiwzo1_400.gif

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect time for a funny Jordan face, somebody...
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    babelipsss wrote: »
    Sad. So many of my people just don't get it. Want your kids to do well in school? Take an interest, spend some time, provide a positive encouraging environment. Silly, humiliating punishments don't work. You should be aware of what kind of grades your child will receive way before the report card comes out.

I agree. Progress Reports also come out before the report card, so even the busiest parent has the opportunity to see their children grades.

These public acts of punishment are not preventing ? . It's reactive behavior, when children need PRO ACTIVE guidance.

You are still rewarding the child for sub par performance by buying him 260 dollar shoes. Jordans are not a necessity, they are a reward. If he needed shoes, his ass would get some soldier Reeboks, until he can earn better.

• lamontbdc
    Ghost313 wrote: »
    Sad. So many of my people just don't get it. Want your kids to do well in school? Take an interest, spend some time, provide a positive encouraging environment. Silly, humiliating punishments don't work. You should be aware of what kind of grades your child will receive way before the report card comes out.

I agree. Progress Reports also come out before the report card, so even the busiest parent has the opportunity to see their children grades.

These public acts of punishment are not preventing ? . It's reactive behavior, when children need PRO ACTIVE guidance.

You are still rewarding the child for sub par performance by buying him 260 dollar shoes. Jordans are not a necessity, they are a reward. If he needed shoes, his ass would get some soldier Reeboks, until he can earn better.

? my daughter has to have her work signed by me or my wife everyday

instead of wasting 2/3 hu8nbred on some j's he needs to take 2/3 hrs to make sure his son is doing his work and if not figure out why or what's going on

• Kakarot
    Kakarot Members Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    My dad used to beat me for getting C+ and B- in school. I got straight As after that. I only got good grades because I didn't want to get beat.
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »

instead of wasting 2/3 hu8nbred on some j's he needs to take 2/3 hrs to make sure his son is doing his work and if not figure out why or what's going on

Exactly. When these public humiliation stories about grades come out, I find the parent responsible. You know you've ignored little Timmy all semester, and now that he brought home straight D's, you want to save face and look like a concerned parent. FOH.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    School is ? so I'm going feel like a hypocrite when I gotta discipline my kid for failing Trigonometry

It's crazy that school doesn't prepare you for adulthood at all

School teach you how to get somebody to hire you

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is pointless. Dad wants attention. Dad should teach his son not to worship trinkets. I can't believe those same shoes that came out 20 years ago are costing more now, then they 1st released them.
  • Meta_Conscious
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    This is pointless. Dad wants attention. Dad should teach his son not to worship trinkets.

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant believe parents actually pay that much for shoes for an individual that doesnt work

• VIBE
    It's making rounds on FB, lotta ppl are applauding this man. Posted it to see the IC's thoughts.
  • Kakarot
    Kakarot Members Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    R.D. wrote: »
    School is ? so I'm going feel like a hypocrite when I gotta discipline my kid for failing Trigonometry

They do actually. That's what Career Centres are for in campuses.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Exactly. When these public humiliation stories about grades come out, I find the parent responsible. You know you've ignored little Timmy all semester, and now that he brought home straight D's, you want to save face and look like a concerned parent. FOH.

And to make it worse pops put this online to make it about himself. Sad ? is his sone is bound to repeat this type of ? later on in life
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He Could've Easily Wrote That ? On Some Pro-Wings And Really Shamed The ? Outta Him
  • Meta_Conscious
    high school so ? easy...
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeh.. i feel u on this..
    my game's son was ? up in school and i aint even know how to chastize him.

i gave her the "? u want me to say?!?" face. lol

i give that ? life lessons.. but i dont care much about school ? .. im sure my daughter go be like me.. i was always the smartest in my class.. my grades jus didnt reflect it..

school aint for everyone.. and each child should be educated accordingly..
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Kakarot wrote: »

Bruh what th efuck is going on in ya sig?
  • VIBE
    I get the father did this for his own enjoyment rather than for the benefit of his own child.

Instead of buying $300-$400 shoes, he should his son something more valuable, something priceless and that's being more active in the dudes education. I mean, maybe he has and this is one of those last resort things he feels is necessary. I've always felt public humiliation is a weak form of parenting. Rather than it teach a child about their future, it just teaches them not to get caught. If his grades go up, is it because of him or because he/she has decided to cheat/use shortcuts?

I've always taken the time to explain to my kids that, yeah, it ? sucks to have to deal with things in life sometimes, but at the end of the day, you're working for your future and you can't halfass that. More yadda yadda stuff but that's what a child needs, not some cheap or expensive form of humiliation.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smmfh. My parents didn't help me with my homework. I was just smart and if I didn't understand something I worked hard until I did. All A's and B's and never got what some kids were getting around me that was failing. My middle school years (7th and 8th grade), I had one pair of shoes (for school and outside). Thank ? I went to a private school for high school because I wore a uniform everyday. Moms till this day believes the way I grew up made me into the man that I am right now but I told her while on the outside it may seem like that emotionally nothing was there. All I knew was to make good grades or get my ass beat. Kids and parents need to appreciate that time growing up and building a foundation. I had to learn my ways on my own.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    high school so ? easy...

Not if you're doing AP courses
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad used to beat me for getting C+ and B- in school. I got straight As after that. I only got good grades because I didn't want to get beat.
    Pretty sure you didn't go to school cept for that DBZ Evolution period....
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

lmaooo so you going disagree with me and then confirm what I already said by mentioning the career center

And I was more so focusing on HS but college is BS too as far as learning useful ?

You spend the 1st two years taking ? general classes...I didn't even know I needed a certain amount of credits to graduate until the end of my sophomore year