Joey-Badass-Review-Page-before_zpshtrhqfa8.png

Review schedule
Albums
A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
Wale - The Album About Nothing: 1 more review
Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$: 1 more review

Singles
TBD

Welcome to The AllHipHop Review Board! Based on the entertainment review website Metacritic, The AHH Review Board is a rating system where all IllCommunity forum members can review albums and songs to create an average and final numerical score for each piece. Members will write mini (or full-length) reviews of new (sometimes old) album or song releases and rate them, creating a universal score from IC posters.

This will be good to get some discussion flowing as well as share opinions in a more professional manner. Users will be able to see what posters think about what's new this week, what was great this year, and what some of our all-time favorites were, as well as contribute to each official rating.

Rules
-No trolling. Posters are allowed to express opinions on and criticize reviews from others - just no straight up trolling. That is still a warnable offense in or out of this thread.
-Reviews for songs must be no less than 70 words. http://www.wordcounter.net/
-Reviews for albums must be no less than 130 words (it's really not that much). http://www.wordcounter.net/
-Each review must have a rating or it will not count toward the final score.

Scoring
-Each review from members will be compiled and averaged into 1 final score for each album or song that is reviewed.
-Final scores will range from 0-100, with the higher number indicating a better overall average for reviews. Final scores will be highlighted in different colors to indicate good, bad, or average review scores. If the numbers are too hard to read, then you can look at the pretty colors (see below):

Ratings_zpseeqrxiru.png

Score conversion:
4-star-scale_zps3311c198.png5-star-scale_zps5c07d5f6.pngletter-grade-scale_zpsd8afc484.png

-Each member rating must be on a scale of 4 (0 to 4), 5, 10, or a letter grade (between A or A+ and F or F-).
-Reviews from moderators and allhiphop staff will be included into the final Member Score, but will also create a separate Modscore.
-Again, each review must have a rating to count toward a piece's final score.
-Any review that violates any of the rules will not be counted toward that piece's final score.

Review process
-Albums or songs up for review will be chosen by Reason moderators and/or if there are 3 or more members requesting them to be reviewed.
-Each album will generally be up for review for 3 weeks.
-Each song will generally be up for review for 15 days.
-At least 1 day prior notice will be given for each review period.
-Extensions for review periods will be at the discretion of KillaCham or other moderators.

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2015
    Scoreboard

Albums
    J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive: 82 (ModScore: 74)
    J-Cole-Review-Page-after_zps77a11d6f.png

Member scores
    StoneColdMikey: 4/5
    Breezy-Kilroy: 4.5/5
    usmarin3: 4.5/5
    bbkg79: A-
    deathrowzorro: 4/5

ModScores
    YoungGoldie: C+
    SixSickSins: 4.5/5
    Stew: 7/10
    Kendrick Lamar - To ? A Butterfly: 92 (ModScore: 95)
    Kendrick-Page-after_zpsvl2q3un5.png

Member score
    eternal soldier: 4/5
    silverfoxx: 9.4/10
    BobOblah: 9/10
    D0wn: 10/10
    bless the child: 10/10
    G.Avant: 10/10
    Listencloser: 7.2/10
    jazzybella: 9/10
    LonedogAchilles: 9/10
    IceBergTaylor: 9.2/10

ModScores
    Sion: 9.5/10
    YoungGoldie: 9.5/10
    KillaCham: 9.6/10
    Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth: 94 (ModScore: 90)
    Lupe-Review-Page-after_zpsafyvmkth.png

Member score
    Listencloser: 9.8/10
    IceBergTaylor: 9.7/10
    power_wisdom: 10/10
    LonedogAchilles: 9.9/10
    Roster Player #99: 8.9/10
    TheEyeronic1: 9/10
    silverfoxx: 9.2/10

ModScores
    Stew: 9/10
    Sion: 9/10
    Wale - The Album About Nothing: 67 (Pending score)
    Wale-Review-Page-before_zps5yvsi8n7.png

Member score
    jono: 7.5/10
    Peezy_Jenkins: 6/10

ModScores
    Sion: 6.5/10
    Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$: 90 (Pending score)
    Joey-Badass-Review-Page-before_zpshtrhqfa8.png
    Member score
    Listencloser: 8.2/10
    jono: 9/10

ModScores
    5th Letter: A

Singles
    Big K.R.I.T. - Soul Food (feat. Raphael Saadiq): 89 (ModScore: N/A)
    Big-KRIT-Review-Page-before_zps7b981286.png

Member scores
    OhMars: B
    BoogaSuga: A+
    southermade: 4/5
  • KillaCham
    edited January 2015
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    @Breezy_Kilroy‌ , drop your review you posted in the Forest Hill thread.

Ill post my review later today.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dope ish Mods.

Somebody needs a raise
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh for sure. I gotta annotate it tho. It's kinda all over the place
  • KillaCham
    Oh for sure. I gotta annotate it tho. It's kinda all over the place

Do it up. Just make sure it has a rating.
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I'm gonna download it now i'm drop my review later
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^

Nail on the ? head. I give it a B-. And "No Role Models" is a good song but is a complete send off. After the Uncle Phil line, it turns into a typical Cole song about ? hoes.
  • KillaCham
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    KillaCham wrote: »
    Y'all not gonna let this flop @Breezy_Kilroy @deathrowzorrow

Nah I'll do it when I get on my laptop
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jazzybella wrote: »

It's a review I saw on Facebook and to me is the BEST review I've read
  • _Goldie_
    We're only looking for personal reviews in this thread.
  • jazzybella
    We're only looking for personal reviews in this thread.

I was just sharing...dnt bring your embarrassment from GNS over here....chill out bruh
  • _Goldie_
    edited December 2014
    huh? Nobody's thinking about that ? . Just letting you know we're only looking for personal reviews in this thread, post that ? in the album thread. Plus the joke from gns went over your head lol
  • jazzybella
    I saw this thread and wanted to share a review I read....calm down
  • RiGGA
    RiGGA Members Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feelings for not getting what Goldie's tryna say.... should also be a fail button for ? up the hyperlink...

jazzybella lost
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    This album basically came out of nowhere. I was let down by BS. But still was anticipating this album very much. With over a week of listening to this album I must say that this is a great album and Cole finds his niche. There isn't no cringe worthy songs like his two previous albums had where you can tell it was forced. Cole as lyrical as ever. Production still needs a little help but huge improvement from last album. Before the album came out, it was announced that Cole been working with Chance The Rapper and with this album , you hear Chance's influences. Cole crooning and singing on the hook wasn't needed in some songs and took away from songs like St. Tropez. This album is where Cole sticks what he does best, rapping about his youth with vivid stories about his old women, and the struggles his mom had to deal with. while people might complain that he doesn't try to rap about different topics, i don't have a problem with this. don't fix something that isn't broken. I would like for him to take that next step like his peers kendrick and drake did with his next album though. but in 2014, there isn't many rappers that is putting out quality music like Cole.

High points: Lyricism, stays in his lane

low points: the singing ballads

best tracks: GOMD, Fire squad, January 28th

Worst tracks: hello

4/5
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna post the review on Allhiphop tonight or tomorrow if nobody beats me to it lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Being in the age of albums with 13 features on a 15 track album this is a breathe of fresh air.
    Cole did his thing by himself. at no point did I feel he could've used someone else point of view.
    He stepped his pen game up and he is better on the boards than previous efforts.
    even if he didn't make all the beats he still was able to get to expand his sound outside of the sometimes monotonous and identical production. and that's what many felt was holding him back was staying in the pocket and not trying to explore different sounds. there were no cringe worthy bars on this album, he left that "out ? me" ? in the past. Perhaps Cole's best asset is his ability to relay emotion and remain relatable. There was no shortage of Cole speaking on world issues such as Ferguson, poverty and being black in America. The album starts strong and finishes strong even though it does feel a little short outside of "Note to Self".

Although the quip on "Firing Squad" about white people stealing our ? is a highlight however it overshadowed the fact that Cole was spitting. "January 28th" is another standout track where he was proving that he can be elite on the lyrical side. As previously stated Cole stepped his pen game up and it shows from top to bottom. There shouldn't be any doubt whether or not if Cole can hang with his peers. Punchlines have been his weakness but he had a few that stood out. It's great to see his growth as an artist after 3 albums.

Cole showed that he understands how to construct songs. That's not to say he didn't put forth the effort before but I feel it was something that he completely improved on and it shows in songs like GOMD, Apparently and No Role Modelz. As relatable as "Wet Dreamz" may be I truthfully could've done without it. That's not to say I didn't like it but after the standout Jan 28 he should've placed another track after it to keep the momentum going.

The next step for Cole is getting motherfuckas that can actually sing. It's ok in spurts but when he is dedicating entire songs like "Hello" to his less than Drake singing voice it becomes a problem. Although Cole can't really sing or harmonize it doesn't bring down the overall value of the album. You almost have to applaud the fact he is taking that type of risk. There are many highs and very few lows. It's fun, relatlable, there is emotion, substance and lyrics. Practically everything you would want from a Cole album. This should've been his first but it is his third and definitely his best effort.

4.5/5

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest complaint about Cole was always his production and his monotonous singing. He sings alot on this album but it's bearable. What I and damn everyone has been asking Cole for the longest is outside production to break up his monotonous sound and he finally listened. The album flowed so well sonically and none of the tracks sounded forced. It feels like Cole found himself. The first half of the album is the more lyrical part but the second half is where the soul is. Best songs are January 28th, Adolescence,etc and Hello is the worst. It's Coles best album imo.

4.5/5 rating
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS ? IS OK...I LIKE COLE'S ENERGY ON THIS ALBUM
    ESP. ON "JANUARY 28TH" & "FIRE SQUAD"
    THE BEATS ARE ON POINT & SO ARE THE RAPS...
    THAT SINGING ? HE'S ON GOTTA GO THO...
    I DIDN'T HATE THIS ? , BUT IT SUFFERS FROM "MORE OF THE SAME"
    3/5