11 of 12 former Atlanta School Teachers Convicted of Racketeering!

Options
2»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    You obviously missed those threads where the teacher got off with out having to register as a sex offender. Although she does have another case pending.
    got off without having to register as a sex offender... or got off without any punishment at all?

• LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    You obviously missed those threads where the teacher got off with out having to register as a sex offender. Although she does have another case pending.
    got off without having to register as a sex offender... or got off without any punishment at all?

3 yrs on papers and some type of therapy.
  • janklow
    Options
    3 yrs on papers and some type of therapy.
    seems a little ? up but i guess we'll see how it all shakes out

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I went to the school system they taught for. It's been bad for a long time. On another note I just saw them get sentenced to like 20 years. That's way too much time for this. They should be punished, but they're going in to do time with murderers, rapists and hard time criminals. This is a non-violent offense and the judge went way beyond crazy on the punishment. They should be punished, but 20 years (7 in prison 13 probation)is too much for people who have kids of their own, didn't ? or physically hurt anyone
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-atlanta-teachers-sentence-deal-20150414-story.html#page=1
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    I went to the school system they taught for. It's been bad for a long time. On another note I just saw them get sentenced to like 20 years. That's way too much time for this. They should be punished, but they're going in to do time with murderers, rapists and hard time criminals. This is a non-violent offense and the judge went way beyond crazy on the punishment. They should be punished, but 20 years (7 in prison 13 probation)is too much for people who have kids of their own, didn't ? or physically hurt anyone
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-atlanta-teachers-sentence-deal-20150414-story.html#page=1

co-? sign. judge went waaaay overboard and I hope the prosecutor sees some political blowback from this. He doesn't have community support to throw those kinda years at those teachers. I saw that there was a petition going around for lenience.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sayin' tho, 20 years is extensively harsh! I can't comprehend the math on that

If i ain't know any better I would have thought they had their students in there slangin' dope for them! lol
  • Stiff
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »
    I'm sayin' tho, 20 years is extensively harsh! I can't comprehend the math on that

If i ain't know any better I would have thought they had their students in there slangin' dope for them! lol

They did hit them with that RICO charge..might as well have been having kids moving weight
  • janklow
    Options
    I went to the school system they taught for. It's been bad for a long time. On another note I just saw them get sentenced to like 20 years. That's way too much time for this.
    well, i believe the argument was "admit what you did and take a plea," because the ones that took pleas out did NOT get 20 years.

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Need to be protest over those 20 year sentences.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I went to the school system they taught for. It's been bad for a long time. On another note I just saw them get sentenced to like 20 years. That's way too much time for this.
    well, i believe the argument was "admit what you did and take a plea," because the ones that took pleas out did NOT get 20 years.

Absolutely,

The state had them dead to rights. The sentences they got were because of their stupidity and stubbornness for making it go to trial and costing the state money to prosecute them.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Absolutely,

The state had them dead to rights. The sentences they got were because of their stupidity and stubbornness for making it go to trial and costing the state money to prosecute them.

That does not justify a 20 year sentence.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Absolutely,

Right

And the judge had the nerve to say this case is "the sickest thing that has ever happened in this town"

Its just been a bunch of political grandstanding, finger pointing, and passing of the buck

The educators convicted were wrong, but lets not act like the decision to cheat wasnt made under an anormous amount of pressure coming from some of the the very ppl that now want to act so surprised, apalled this happened

Fact is no child left behind was bad policy

And standardized testing is a bad evaluation tool

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    as well they should anyone.. saying but but the white people... kys
    The reasons why shouldnt even have to be explained .. to keep it short they cheated. and harmed the kids for their own personal gain.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know ? and murderers who ain't get 20 years wtf
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options

Absolutely,

I blame the attorneys for not advising them strongly enough about the consequences of not taking a plea.

Don't understand how anybody could be that hard-headed if they had a clear understanding of what they could be facing.

Even after the verdict was rendered, the judge gave them an opportunity to change their plea to avoid jail time.

They refused.

The judge can't do any more than that.

I mean, the main reason they were charged with racketeering to begin with was to hopefully get them to plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Basically, if they had taken the plea deals.....they wouldn't be locked up.

Granted, they didn't deserve 20 years but, after the verdict was rendered and they knew how much time they could be facing.....I don't understand why they wouldn't take the plea even after the judge put the offer back on the table.
  • Stiff
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

Absolutely,

I blame the attorneys for not advising them strongly enough about the consequences of not taking a plea.

Don't understand how anybody could be that hard-headed if they had a clear understanding of what they could be facing.

Even after the verdict was rendered, the judge gave them an opportunity to change their plea to avoid jail time.

They refused.

I mean, the main reason they were charged with racketeering to begin with was to hopefully get them to plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Granted, they didn't deserve 20 years but, after the verdict was rendered and they knew how much time they could be facing.....I don't understand why they wouldn't take the plea even after the judge put the offer back on the table.

Some of them seem to genuinely believe they are not guilty. One of them even said that they had no idea what was going on and they just got caught up in it...the judge said something like "ignorance is no excuse"

By pleading guilty they waive their right to appeal. So if some actually are innocent they may not want to plead to something they didn't do.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They did hit them with that RICO charge.. [/quote]

itsawrap
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm almost certain that white teachers have been helping white students in the same manner for the past 70 years........
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Absolutely,

They refused.

Some of them seem to genuinely believe they are not guilty. One of them even said that they had no idea what was going on and they just got caught up in it...the judge said something like "ignorance is no excuse"

By pleading guilty they waive their right to appeal. So if some actually are innocent they may not want to plead to something they didn't do.

@Stiff .

Didn't know what was going on at what point?

While they were in the classroom changing test scores.....or when they were in the courtroom being charged with racketeering?

As soon as those teachers found out they were convicted and facing jail time, they should have realized how serious their situation was and taken the judge's offer.

Staying out of jail should've been their main priority.

I have a feeling that spending time behind bars will change their perspective.

They just don't have a firm grasp of the legal system.

Even though they've retained their right to appeal by not pleading guilty, they're still going to have to remain behind bars during the appeals process....and there's not even a guarantee that they'll win on appeal.

Even if they do win on appeal, the appeal can take years.

There's people who've spent years behind bars before they're release on appeal.

It would be more understandable if they were wrongly convicted of murder or something, but to risk getting all of that jail time over some test scores......when they know they did exactly what they were accused of???

Doesn't make too much sense.
  • Stiff
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Absolutely,

They refused.

@Stiff .

Didn't know what was going on at what point?

While they were in the classroom changing test scores.....or when they were in the courtroom being charged with racketeering?

As soon as those teachers found out they were convicted and facing jail time, they should have realized how serious their situation was and taken the judge's offer.

Staying out of jail should've been their main priority.

I have a feeling that spending time behind bars will change their perspective.

They just don't have a firm grasp of the legal system.

Even though they've retained their right to appeal by not pleading guilty, they're still going to have to remain behind bars during the appeals process....and there's not even a guarantee that they'll win on appeal.

Even if they do win on appeal, the appeal can take years.

There's people who've spent years behind bars before they're release on appeal.

It would be more understandable if they were wrongly convicted of murder or something, but to risk getting all of that jail time over some test scores......when they know they did exactly what they were accused of???

Doesn't make too much sense.

It's a matter of not wanting to admit guilt to a crime you feel you didn't commit. Also, everyone who pled guilty had their teaching license revoked and can never work in education again...if that's the only field they're qualified for they would be up ? creek.

I mean if there are some who truly did not commit what they were accused of I can understand not wanting to accept responsibility for something you did not do. I don't know that I would have done it the same way... but I get it
  • janklow
    Options
    oh, i am sure that this is going to be an issue for the appeal, and it might be a fair one. but there's a reason why he slammed them with the sentence he did.

• saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options

Absolutely,

so they punish them by wasting more money locking them up for the next 7 years.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Absolutely,

so they punish them by wasting more money locking them up for the next 7 years.

Hell, they most likely makin money off of all that time. Them muthafuckas know what they doin...