So Iceman is now ?

Options
Broddie
Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in Quite Comical
Well so much for him being my favorite X-Men member anymore. Now he's going to be used as a storytelling gimmick more likely than not.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-comics-outs-all-new-x-man

Comments

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its been implied before. Bobby as an adult, was still out there smashing chicks, so I'm not sure what Bendis is hoping to accomplish with this. It could just only apply to the younger Bobby
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    Its been implied before. Bobby as an adult, was still out there smashing chicks, so I'm not sure what Bendis is hoping to accomplish with this. It could just only apply to the younger Bobby

Never been implied. Just hopeful conjecture brought up by desperate fanboys who want to make an already easily identifiable with character even "more relatable" to them (I'm looking at you CBR x forums). The man has been in the middle of a heterosexual love triangle with Havok and Polaris for 25 years for ? 's sake.

I'd even accept bi even though it would still feel like something done for the sake of doing it. But you don't go from being ? as a kid to being straight as an adult lmao it doesn't work that way. If teen Bobby is ? than adult Bobby is ? . Bendis wants to have his cake and eat it too but forgets that this is NOT an alternate version of the original 5. It's the actual original 5 he's playing with here. This is almost as weird as his conceit that Hank was always in love with Jean.
  • Broddie
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    They're trying to hard to force ? characters in comics. Why do this long standing character is stupid.

LOL this reminded me of a Maximus Rex post.

Speaking of... that brother is about to plotz when he finds this out.
  • jaxn
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    jaxn wrote: »

Never been implied. Just hopeful conjecture brought up by desperate fanboys who want to make an already easily identifiable with character even "more relatable" to them (I'm looking at you CBR x forums). The man has been in the middle of a heterosexual love triangle with Havok and Polaris for 25 years for ? 's sake.

I'd even accept bi even though it would still feel like something done for the sake of doing it. But you don't go from being ? as a kid to being straight as an adult lmao it doesn't work that way. If teen Bobby is ? than adult Bobby is ? . Bendis wants to have his cake and eat it too but forgets that this is NOT an alternate version of the original 5. It's the actual original 5 he's playing with here. This is almost as weird as his conceit that Hank was always in love with Jean.

It actually has been implied in the books before. It's not just something pulled from CBR posters and yes, this is the original O5, but that doesn't mean that both Bobbys are going to end up the same considering O5 Bobby and crew have leap frogged alot of their future storylines to be brought into the present, meaning their adventures and character development will be quite different going forward.
  • Broddie
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Must've been implied during periods that I didn't read X-Men which to be honest was a few years (after Morrison & Whedon's runs and shortly into Brubaker and Carey's work so around 2004 - 2005 all the way to All-New X-Men) because I've never seen anything like that before. He was always just the jokester and more lighthearted member that didn't mean he wanted to blow dudes though lol.

Again though Homosexuality is not something that could be turned off. Irregardless of the X-Men's chaotic timelines. What Bendis is doing with something like this without even realizing it is insulting those that he's trying to please with such a provocative twist.

Remember how adult Cyke damn near was written out of existence when Young Cyke was compromised?

Well if that is feasible so is the sexual preference of anybody remaining the same from when they're kids to adults.
  • jaxn
    Options
    Must've been implied during periods that I didn't read X-Men which to be honest was a few years (after Morrison & Whedon's runs and shortly into Brubaker and Carey's work so around 2004 - 2005 all the way to All-New X-Men) because I've never seen anything like that before. He was always just the jokester and more lighthearted member that didn't mean he wanted to blow dudes though lol.

Again though Homosexuality is not something that could be turned off. Irregardless of the X-Men's chaotic timelines. What Bendis is doing with something like this without even realizing it is insulting those that he's trying to please with such a provocative twist.

Remember how adult Cyke damn near was written out of existence when Young Cyke was compromised?

Well if that is feasible so is the sexual preference of anybody remaining the same from when they're kids to adults.

yeah, the Xmen books got really weird there for a minute. It was like they just threw a bunch of ? against the wall to see what would stick. I agree with what you're saying and this is just more of Bendis being Bendis. Shock and awe for no reason. There's really no reason whatsoever to alter Iceman's history with this nonsense. Its like the Xmen/mutants are becoming the ? group of the MU. There are like what, 5-10 ? folks who are mutants
  • Broddie
    Options
    The one upside I guess is that Secret Wars will end up retconning all this anyway.
  • jaxn
    Options
    yep. the unofficial, official reboot of the MU coming up soon. Broddie, I'm curious, what were some of your favorite comics coming up? I know you like the Flash and Xmen, but what else was on your pull list?
  • Broddie
    edited April 2015
    Options
    These were the comic series I grew up reading

DC/Vertigo/Milestone

Batman
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Wonder Woman
    Animal Man
    Doom Patrol
    The Question
    Nightwing
    New Teen Titans
    Green Arrow
    Justice League International
    Superboy
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    The Power of Shazam
    Hitman
    Hellblazer
    Preacher
    Green Lantern
    Books of Magic
    Hardware
    Icon
    Xombi
    Static
    Blood Syndicate
    Steel
    Justice League of America
    Starman
    Sandman
    Swamp Thing

Marvel

The Punisher
    Daredevil
    Ghost Rider
    Morbius The Living Vampire
    The Incredible Hulk
    Doctor Strange
    Deathlok
    The Avengers
    Power Pack
    Namor The Submariner
    Fantastic Four
    The Amazing Spider-Man
    The Spectacular Spider-Man
    X-Men
    X-Factor
    Uncanny X-Men
    New Mutants
    Thor (Dan Jurgens)
    Captain America (Mark Gruenwald)

Savage Dragon
    Spawn
    Wetworks
    WildC.A.T.S.
    Gen 13
    Stormwatch
    The Authority
    The Darkness
    Youngblood
    Supreme

Dark Horse

Hellboy
    Sin City
    Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
    Usagi Yojimbo

I also used to read Jeff Smith's Bone and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles both the Mirage and later Image version and the Archie version.

I'm sure I probably missed some (for example I used to also read a lot of minis that older heads used to hand down to me like Camelot 3000 and stuff) but those were the mainstays.
  • jaxn
    Options
    nice. i see you were into a variety of books. I was into the majority of those except for some of the dark horse and image comics. Just looking at the lists bring back memories when comics were written much better than they are now. I read the books heavily for 30+ years but slowed up a bit over the last few. The stories just haven't been that good in my opinion, especially in Marvel. Although I do keep up with most of what's going on in marvel, i'll glance at whats going on with the nu52. It was just a rough start for the reboot and iirc they're about to do another reboot which is odd. Did you ever read any of the New Universe titles? Those were pretty good as well
  • Broddie
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I still find enough good books to keep me heavy into the habit today. Though since Civil War I have honestly not read more than a handful of Marvel titles at a time (Ie: Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. and F4 or Mark Waid's Daredevil and most of Slott's Spidey). Which even after all these years still feels kinda weird to me since I was never used to being so out of touch with the majority of the Marvel universe. With that said I had thought the consensus was that things had been ok since the Marvel NOW initiative. So Marvel rebooting was a bit of a head scratcher for me.

DC is not rebooting again. At most Convergence is to Flashpoint what Zero Hour was to Crisis on Infinite Earths. In other words it's just streamlining and correcting elements of the New 52 canon. Not outright replacing it. It's also DC going back to their roots of "storytelling trumping continuity" instead of sticking to the homogenized approach they tried in the beginning with the New 52. Bringing back the variety and diversity that made DC well...DC.

What Convergence will do is provide the means for people to not just write stuff within the New 52 continuity anymore. It's basically re-establishing hypertime and how "all the stories are equally important". So going forward people could write stories outside of the continuity established with New 52 too. So if somebody has a pitch for say a ? Wally West Flash book or Renee Montoya as The Question after Convergence they could realistically make that a reality.

RE: New Universe

Yeah I used to read Star Brand.
  • jaxn
    Options
    Daredevil and Spidey have been consistent for quite some time, even before marvel now. Civil War and Annihilation were the last story arcs that were truly great in my opinion. Marvel Now was the beginning of the reboot (even though Marvel denies and continues to deny to this day that it's rebooting). The stories coming out during that era were bizarre, starting with that age of ultron story that made no sense and went nowhere. I guess rebooting is a bit strong word for what's going on in DC, but the changes they're making are rather early for a recently rebooted universe. They've basically just given the entire DCU the New Gods treatment in that their canon isn't really affected by Crisis nor the nu52. That's basically what Marvel is doing with their soft "reboot". All of the older stories are still canon, even though some of the characters will go through some changes after Battleworld.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ether son gonna be burning slow
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is more @ play here then just pleasing LGBT Community it is also a effort to devalue the franchise in hopes of getting all rights to it back from their current holders(Fox). They having converting Mutant Characters ? left and right and doing dramatic Retcon damaging the Mutant Titles Continuity and driving off long time fans. It is a Double Entendre for Disney look at how they got Spidey Back from Sony the X Franchise has proven to be an invaluable pool of material for cinema Disney is pushing this for a reason...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lame, iceman was cool. Now he sux ? n dix.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hate them gaying characters. just make a new damn character or something. Like when they turned GL ? in Earth 2. atleast it was the lame green lantern and not someone like Stewart or Jordan or Rayner.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to like Iceman too
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its not 616 bobby its only past/future...all new x-men bobby.

they werent gonna let bendis touch 616 bobby
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They took the family guy route smh.
  • Broddie
    Options

Bruh All New X-Men is set on Earth 616. It's the flagship book of the X-Men line. This is not an alternate timeline Bobby Drake.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    They're trying to hard to force ? characters in comics. Why do this long standing character is stupid.

LOL this reminded me of a Maximus Rex post.

Speaking of... that brother is about to plotz when he finds this out.

My boy Chuck told me about this fuckery the other day. This ? needs to stop because it's clear as a muthafucka that these muthafuckas are promoting a ? agenda. They'll change a long standing character to a ? or ? to appease a very small segment of the fandom in the name of "diversity," and social commentary, but they won't do a damn thing about addressing systematic white supremacy in the media.

How about having Power Man, BP, or Storm go after some rogue cops that are targeting black people? How about have a story line where you have some mutants on slick racist ? , but their hypocrisy is exposed concerning race when they're hated because ? sapiens fear ? superiors because of their powers. How about have Ororo and T'Challa reconciled to have one of the power couples in the Marvel U.

This ? movement is some insidious ? . The ? and ? are using every facet of the media to forward their sick ass agenda to have it a normal thing for young boys to suck ? as causally as young girls now lick ? , the cold part about is that they're using one of my favorite forms of entertainment to do it, the American comic book.

If I was the head of Disney or Time Warner, I'd say ? it, and just as Paul Didio said that Supes and the Batman are no longer allowed to wear their underoos, I'd issue an company wide edict banning faggotry and dyking in my books, and ? what G.L.A.A.D., ? on Bikes, and ? Freaks of America has to say about it. It it's so important for these people to have men sucking ? and chicks eating ? in their comics, start your own ? company.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bruh All New X-Men is set on Earth 616. It's the flagship book of the X-Men line. This is not an alternate timeline Bobby Drake.

yes it is, jean wasnt talking to normal timeline bobby she was talking to lame younger bobby that will go away as soon as Bendis leaves the book