Rappers that went to hollywood or drugs that ? their career who could be higher ranked?

Options
supergangster
supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rappers that went to hollywood \ start doing movies instead of focus on their rap career.
or rappers that smoked too much weed or street life caught them...

i'd say METHOD MAN cuz that ? had everything. FLOW, personality, respect & lyrics..
what went wrong?
I'd say he went to hollywood and he smoked too damn much weed that he got lazy.
being biggie favorite rapper & one of pacs favorite rapper.
ofc he had something, in my eyes his flow is the second best after Nas.

what you think about that?

Comments

• supergangster
    Options
    i also would like to add that i don't consider method man career wack he had a great run with the wu tang and he was one of the best respect rappers in the 90's still is just sayin he could be ranked higher
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thread belongs to Ludacris. Successful music career but Hollywood prevented him from being a top 15 rapper of all time.
  • supergangster
    Options
    Thread belongs to Ludacris. Successful music career but Hollywood prevented him from being a top 15 rapper of all time.

I never saw Ludacris as one of the best cuz I listen to lyrics alot but his beat selection was nice. I still workout to some of his music and his music is nice at parties.
    but yeah he would be ranked higher but not goat(top 15 rappers of all time as you said)
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL Cool J own this thread.....
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoop and That "Adventures in Hollyhood" cast.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Three six mafia won that Oscar and lost they cotdamn mind when started chasin that mainstream money. I almost cried when I seen these ? goin out like this. It's like they had a heart to heart with Flo-Rida or somethin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIxj4JDtEE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThuVI_maAs
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its understandable why a rapper would start making movies. Hollywood is a lot less confusing than the music industry.

In the music industry you gotta live on a tour bus and travel from city to city. You have to hit a different city every day for a 40 date tour. Then the money you make is calculated by some unknown algorithm.

I've always been under the impression that actors have a much easier and simpler lifestyle than singers, rappers and musicians.

I think when you sign a contract to do a movie you get a cash advance that's better or equal to what you'd get for an album but the best part about being an actor is that you don't have to ride around on a tour bus for 2 months.

LL Cool J
    Will Smith
    Queen Latifah

^^^They all quit Hip Hop for TV or movies and I bet they're making more money and their lives are more stable.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Its understandable why a rapper would start making movies. Hollywood is a lot less confusing than the music industry.

In the music industry you gotta live on a tour bus and travel from city to city. You have to hit a different city every day for a 40 date tour. Then the money you make is calculated by some unknown algorithm.

I've always been under the impression that actors have a much easier and simpler lifestyle than singers, rappers and musicians.

I think when you sign a contract to do a movie you get a cash advance that's better or equal to what you'd get for an album but the best part about being an actor is that you don't have to ride around on a tour bus for 2 months.

LL Cool J
    Will Smith
    Queen Latifah

^^^They all quit Hip Hop for TV or movies and I bet they're making more money and their lives are more stable.

I just read Scarface's book, and Rapin you records was real back in the 80s homie said he basically been gettin ? his whole career. Just think bruh, this is before mainstream knowledge of contracts, and 360s and ? like that. Their lifestyle wasn't near as transparent as it is now, so whatever we saw, we took at face value. ? ain't really tellin you "you ain't recoup" in hollywood. It's better business than the music industry.
  • supergangster
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No way DMX his prime was in the 90's he was only lookin worse and worse. DMX based on the 90s is still consider as TOP 20 DOA according to me. He is one of my favorite rappers but I think it would destroy his legacy since his last album that dropped 2006? was not good and he was not ? up in the brain right at that moment.

• supergangster
    edited April 2015
    Options
    COOL J already did everything he could to be consider as the best. He could not do anything more. He waas in his prime before he went hollywood.

LL Cool J is already consider as one of the goats he is one of your favorite rapper favorite rapper.

I don't think he is up there lyrically with Nas, 2pac, az, prodigy,cube, biggie, kool g rap, rakim but he is a legend no doubt.

Ladies love him.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DMX. ? forget that X shifted the game when he came in. Deaded the shiny suit era by himself. And I'd put his first 3 albums up against anyone's first 3 albums.
  • supergangster
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    DMX. ? forget that X shifted the game when he came in. Deaded the shiny suit era by himself. And I'd put his first 3 albums up against anyone's first 3 albums.

This makes him top 20 DOA since this albums was great but it would not matter if he continue his career in 2006 since he was already fallin off. he was in his prime in the 90's.

• supergangster
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kinda strange that people don't mention ice cube. all the energy he put on hollywood imagine if he had put that energy on rap instead!??? I mean this ? makes his own movies and act in them. He is well paid and his own boss.

Cube is smart and he is very lyrically
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eve. She was doing her thing in the music world but once she got that Hollywood and UPN money, she lost her focus and pretty much left rap. If she stayed at it, she'd still be pretty successful even now seeing how few female emcees/rappers get attention.
  • no2fuks
    no2fuks Members Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rappers that fell off cuz of drugs and rappers that went hollywood two different topics.
  • supergangster
    Options
    no2fuks wrote: »
    rappers that fell off cuz of drugs and rappers that went hollywood two different topics.

didnt want to make 2 threads its easier to make one bruh
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kinda strange that people don't mention ice cube. all the energy he put on hollywood imagine if he had put that energy on rap instead!??? I mean this ? makes his own movies and act in them. He is well paid and his own boss.

DMX dropped in 98, so he was only good for 2 years?

DMX wins
  • supergangster
    Options

DMX dropped in 98, so he was only good for 2 years?

DMX wins

How DMX wins? this ? strugglin to stay alive.

• smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DMX came in the game on ? . He prolly wouldn't by X w/o drugs.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    It's tough to say, cuz I understand a ? not wanting to be a rapper his whole life. LL will always be a legend no matter what imo, he put in enough work before he went Hollis to Hollywood.

That's another reason why Pac is the Goat, cuz he was able to constantly do films and still put out more music than any other rapper in the game.

True that, although Pac didnt actually quite go Hollywood, he was probably going to do blockbusters though as he was mad talented... But he always knew to keep the streets happy...

@supergangster
    Luda got MAD lyrics, go study his first couple albums and not his singles...

@smp4life
    DMX owns this thread IMO, had he managed his additions he could of been bigger or just as big as Jay, I mean he had TWO multi plat albums in one year...

The problem is, like you say he came into the game with addictions, but when he made millions, all of a sudden he was able to afford alot more drugs then before...
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Until the one guy up above mentioned Cube, won't even lie wasn't even thinking of him so he gets a very high honorable mention. But, would he still have been able to bring it or would he have fell into obscurity like a few acts in his era.

But this thread has to go to DMX. Not only was he on the drugs, he was also on that Hollywood ? too because of how polarizing and popular he was at his peak. Problem with X like someone else also mentioned is he came into the game on that ? ? . By the time he blew up, who could tell him anything and he is as seen by most of us a wild ass ? . Sucks where he is at now, but he will always be one of my favs pre all the other ? happenning. As they always say, music marks time and he first dropped during 7/8th grade for me and can't forget that.

Can't think of anyone beyond him that got done like he done and been on top like he been. He had the best of both worlds but just couldn't beat his demons.
  • supergangster
    Options
    Great post above me
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it just me or was this thread tailor made for DMX?