Bill Simmons to leave ESPN in the fall

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thoughts? What network do you think he should go?

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    How it's happening I really believe NFL pressured ESPN
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How it's happening I really believe NFL pressured ESPN

why would the NFL want him off ESPN. I don't recall any commentary he's had on football
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makes sense.

He really doesn't need them with Grantland and his podcasts popping off. Plus ESPN has never really liked him anyway.
    lamontbdc wrote:
    I don't recall any commentary he's had on football
    ESPN president John Skipper says Bill Simmons’ exit had nothing to do with his harsh words for Roger Goodell last fall, in which he called the NFL commissioner “a liar” and then dared his bosses to suspend him for saying it. So it has to be a wild coincidence that 24 hours after Simmons bashed Goodell again, this time for concealing the contents of the Wells Report (which just so happened to be about Simmons’ favorite team and quarterback), ESPN announced their partnership with Simmons was over.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/bill-simmons-fired-espn-contract-roger-goodell-dan-patrick-liar-video

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So possibly a replacement for Chuck on TNT? NBA network? CBS network? Either way i hated this ? at first, but ive grown to respect his work. Him and Jalen Rose chemistry is impeccable.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bill on tv is only tolerable with jalen on them grantland specials, and even then its tough cuz he find some way to babble about the celtics or makes some lame comparison, the things grantland does is cool tho
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    I really don't care much for him on tv but I do enjoy his grantland stuff

+ 1 million

I really like Grantland's basketball coverage and I respect his thoughts on basketball when he actually writes it because I believe he thinks ? out a bit more instead of just going with straight emotion like he does on television.

I'm gonna miss the short lived Grantland Basketball hour that was coming on ESPN also. That was the best stuff he did on T.V. because he had time before hand to think about the subject and how he felt about it. He just seems too biased fan like when he is put on the spot to speak about something that just happened and he can get annoying.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima miss the 30 for 30's grantland basketball hour was cool too. Outside of that he was awkward and terrible on TV
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hopefully no one from Grantland jumps ship. I think it's a quality site. Deadspin has laid out the details of how it happened. Dude pretty much got fired.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wait this means no more 30 for 30's? aw hell, something need to be worked out
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    30 For 30 will be ESPN Films/SEC Stories, not too concerned.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could care less, all he talks about is the Celtics anyway
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Options
    Simmons the GOAT ? what ya ? talking bout b
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MillzOG wrote: »
    Simmons the GOAT ? what ya ? talking bout b

@MillzOG making sense for once....
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip bill simmons

interested to see how important tv is to bill if he decides to stick to writing/podcasting the espn platform is less important -- itd still be a much smaller platform but there are other comparable online platforms to espn that there arent on tv
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was making $5m according to NYT, wow! I say he start his own site, only thing he needs is financial backing.

ESPN will survive without him, I wonder who got next? I like Zach Lowe's stuff. Wesley Morris is good too.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was making $5m according to NYT, wow! I say he start his own site, only thing he needs is financial backing.

ESPN will survive without him, I wonder who got next? I like Zach Lowe's stuff. Wesley Morris is good too.

He had grantland before ESPN. I don't think they own it.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He had grantland before ESPN. I don't think they own it.

I believe he started the website and ESPN was that gave his website the platform and some financing I could be wrong though
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    Options
    Na...ESPN owns grantland that's why in the statement they released they mentioned having a strong team in place for grantland
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Simmons a cornball if I ever seen one but Grantland is dope
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Na...ESPN owns grantland that's why in the statement they released they mentioned having a strong team in place for grantland

Maybe he signed over his rights when he joined them but I'm sure he owned it before he got with ESPN. I had a feeling something was up when he started his new podcast a few months ago.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    Simmons a cornball if I ever seen one but Grantland is dope

This x3........

The guy isn't a good fit as a TV personality imo. Dude always had some goofy ? to say during The Finals, especially when he tried to be funny. He jus comes across as annoying and a borderline groupie (check some interviews) . He is a really good writer tho.

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe he signed over his rights when he joined them but I'm sure he owned it before he got with ESPN. I had a feeling something was up when he started his new podcast a few months ago.

He didn't have grantland before espn, he had Sports Guy with AOL. Grantland was created in 2011 as a way to give him a promotion.