Man tries to go to LA with $16k in cash money to make a music video, DEA robs em

Options
2»

Comments

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They trying to ? down on money smuggling and such. Drug buys, etc. Thats what usually goes on when people have large amounts of cash with no decent explanation in the real world. This could be a chance for those who dont know the rules to prevent themselves from falling victim by learning how it goes. Its obvious who won and who lost in this situation. Livin in fantasy land on the ic gets you nowhere.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    asset forfeiture is a concept we can be getting outraged about for a lot more than this incident:
    The motorist advocacy site TheNewspaper.com has the story of 64-year-old Laura Dutton. Estelline, Tex., police officer Jason Fry was manning a speed trap (a spot where the speed limit suddenly drops) when he pulled Dutton over for driving 61 mph just into the 50 mph zone. Here’s what happened next:

Officer Fry said he “smelled marijuana” so a drug dog was called in, and when the K-9 arrived thirty minutes later, it alerted. Dutton had no drugs, but she was carrying $31,000 in cash, the bills wrapped up as they had come fresh from the bank. She had recently earned the sum from the sale of 12.9 acres of land in Van Zandt County.

Despite the explanation, Officer Fry grabbed the cash and arrested Dutton, who had no criminal record of any kind, for “money laundering.” Officer Fry handed the money over to Estelline City Manager Richard Ferguson.

Two months after the money had been taken from her, the charges were finally dropped and $29,640 returned to Dutton. In addition to the $1400 stolen from her by the city, Dutton was out $1050 in fees she had to pay to get out of jail the day after her arrest. She was never reimbursed for the travel expenses she incurred to get her money back.

Dutton filed a complaint. The city didn’t bother to investigate. So she sued. The city claimed in discovery that all video related to Dutton’s arrest had been destroyed. (Sound familiar?) Fortunately, a Texas judge didn’t buy into any of this. Faced with the possibility of a jury trial in front of a sympathetic plaintiff, the city settled for $77,500. It seems unlikely that the settlement will be enough to end the harassment and fishing expeditions. Consider that Estelline police need only find three more Laura Duttons who don’t sue to more than recoup the city’s losses. Here’s the kicker: The Amarillo Globe-News reports that 89 percent of Estelline’s 2012 gross revenue came from asset forfeiture.

Meanwhile, there’s a remarkable story unfolding in Baltimore, where a supervisor for the Maryland Transportation Authority Police has admitted in a deposition that a drug dog handler fabricated the dog’s certification, then used the faked credentials in court proceedings. Worse, he said he suspects that knowledge of the fabrication went well up the chain of command, including prosecutors in the Maryland U.S. Attorney’s Office. No one seemed to care.

All of this was revealed during litigation over a bag of cash that was seized at the Baltimore airport by Transportation Security Administration officials. The drug dog’s alert helped the authorities establish a “drug connection” to the money, which they believed permitted them to seize it. Studies have shown that as much as 90 percent of U.S. currency contains a trace of illicit drugs potent enough to trigger a drug dog alert. This means that even if this dog had been impeccably trained, its alert should have had little evidentiary value at all.

As the legal commentator Walter Olson has documented in recent years, Maryland is a hotbed of asset forfeiture abuse.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thems the rules. You can travel with a few thousand but not that many thousand. Why? I understand why but who cares why those are the rules. Thats For your benefit and safety too. Also why did they pick out that bus and him? Of course he aint gone get into all that. Its possible he just thought he could travel around with a 16,000 dollar bankroll with no good story on how he got it but thats not how it goes. End of discussion (obviously)...now if he can verify things in a way somebody could believe, he may be alright. I aint the only one like "what?" to his story. No need to paint a broad brush of corruption . Save that for instances where it fits more.

ARE YOU SOME KIND OF ? IDIOT????
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A man gets harrassed by government agency

People criticize the man

Ladies and gentlemen, the IC.

we supposed to just ignore the fact that dude didn't play his situation smart…AT ALL?

just gloss over the fact that dude made the worse decision at every point in this scenario? Had he done just ONE thing differently this wouldn't be a story.

He forfeited his own right by consenting to a warrantless search and then he gave the DEA a story that sounded dumb as all hell. You have 16k in cash on you that you pulled from your life savings on the train because you're traveling from Michigan to ? LA... to shoot a rap video? if that's the truth he shoulda lied.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being stupid is no excuse for the government to rob you.

The government is supposed to deal in good faith with it's citizens
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Being stupid is no excuse for the government to rob you.

The government is supposed to deal in good faith with it's citizens

government is supposed to do a lot of things….that still mean you play it smart.
  • DetroitPlayaa
    DetroitPlayaa Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options
    Funniest ? I remember reading this ? but I just realized yesterday that this was my homie that did this ? . Dude actually one of the smarter people i know hustle wise but i won't put his business out there.. this ? was on a TV show the other day I guess they heard his story and some dude from Atlantic took him to the studio and let him record his demo.. And I believe he still trying to fight to get some of that money back.. Idk how to post YouTube videos but I can put the links on here if ? want proof.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? rap name is Joe Kush, aight.

at least they got you on the way bruh

• mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options