Box Office: Pitch Perfect 2 Outruns Mad Max: Fury Road At Weekend Box Office

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pitch_Perfect_2_poster.jpg

The return of the Road Warrior was no match for the return of the Bellas at this weekend's box office.

While Pitch Perfect 2 opened far ahead of Mad Max: Fury Road, both films still grossed over $40 million in their respective North American debuts.

Pitch Perfect 2 bowed with an estimated $70.3 million for first place, knocking previous champ Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron down to third place with $38.8 million. Pitch Perfect 2's opening haul is more than what the 2012 original made during its entire domestic theatrical run ($65 million).

This also marks the biggest opening ever for a first time feature director (Elizabeth Banks) as well as the second biggest debut for a female-directed movie behind Fifty Shades of Grey.

Mad Max: Fury Road opened in second place with $44.4 million. That's a solid showing for a franchise whose last installment came out 30 years ago. However, given the film's hefty price tag (reportedly between $150-220 million) and the studio's hopes for revving up an old franchise, Mad Max: Fury Road still has a lot of ground to make up to not be considered a commercial disappointment. Additionally, the George Miller-directed film opened to an estimated $65 million in 68 international markets.

Avengers: Age of Ultron's current domestic tally is $372 million, and it has just passed $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Here are the weekend estimates via Rentrak:

1. Pitch Perfect 2 $70.3 million

2. Mad Max: Fury Road $44.4 million

3. Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron $38.8 million

4. Hot Pursuit $5.8 million

5. Furious 7 $3.6 million

6. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 $3.6 million

7. The Age of Adaline $3.2 million

8. Home $2.7 million

9. Ex Machina $2.1 million

10. Far From the Madding Crowd $1.3 million

Comments

• Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Avengers is still doing damage out here.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn they blew em out. Yall think this will hurt Tom Hardy going forward?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this thread bout pitch perfect or mad max?

Mad max did 100mil globally in a weekend...it's fine imo
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Box Office = quality, and this is one of the most glaring examples of that.
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Was supposed to have a strike through on that equals sign, smh.
  • TheNightKing
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    They marketed Pitch Perfect extremely well, the first one was really good and it was a sleeper hit. All they had to do was do a sequel and make a slightly superior version of the first one. I'm not surprised at the numbers. I suspect this also means that Anna Kendrick is ready for blockbuster smashes now.
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »

Nah it's still a good ass movie, might be overlooked for the fact that it's a remake tho so ? might front on it. Overall tho I don't think it'll hurt him. His taste in roles he picks are so different every time it's easy for him to escape negative publicity.

I have to agree, they marketed the ? out of Pitch Perfect 2. Them ? showed up on The Voice. They didn't sing a damn note, but they was in there. I ain't see Tom Hardy chilling with Adam Levine at all.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »

Not at all, a PG-13 movie directed at mostly young women with all their favorite women in it/directing it (Kendrick, Wilson, Banks etc.) beats out an R-rated remake/re-imagining of a film that originally came out in 1979. No-one's surprised. MM: FR should still top $100 million nationwide which isn't anything to scoff at.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Considering that one is a PG-13 (in other words able to sell more tickets on average) sequel to a hit movie that greatly caters to females (a huge segment of the general audience) and the other is an R rated (less tickets sold on average) entry in a franchise most of it’s target audience is not even familiar with let alone naturally appeals to women it seems to be doing pretty well.

It's already at 109 mill worldwide slightly ahead of Pitch Perfect 2's 108 worldwide gross with overwhelming critical acclaim and word of mouth that could only help it in he long run. I’m quite sure WB is relieved.

Realistically I didn't even think it'd make that much tbh considering everything Fury Road had against it in terms of the mainstream.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Max in a pool of his Hispanic tears cause the great white hope Mad Max was beaten by a group or singinging fat bishes
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Texasboi dating back to like 3 threads now, I take it you don't like max? Lol
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i didn't know anybody talking bout mad max but every hoe was talking bout pitch perfect
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I heard Tom Hardy was giving the director a hard time thats probably why Charlize Theron is getting all the shine
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Max will probably make the majority of it's money overseas.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    That big ? in Pitch Perfect can get it