Does it seem like the NBA lacks Superstars?

Options
2»

Comments

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Yall ? need to stop abrreviating everybody name it ain't like yall have to type out that greek dude from the bucks last name all the time

Most of these dudes don't even have nicknames ? am I supposed to know them by their initials

watching basketball would help

Their jersey don't have intials on ? and there are than quite a few people in the league that can have the same intials.

So like I said just type the ? name at least once then abbrevieate that ? from there.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/S may have a point depending on his definition of superstar. If he's saying the NBA lacks talent...I dunno about that. But if he's saying there aren't many people that are recognizable to much of the public outside NBA fans...he's probably right. Kobe and Lebron are household names. I dunno who in the younger group of guys is in that category.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly this crop of stars might be better then the early 2000's stars. It was more individual scoring back then but it was hella low scoring overall. The league is in good hands for the next 5-10 years for sure
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm an 80's baby too and I can say you have more All-Stars in today's game (superstars is debateable) than yesterday and overrall players.
    Can't really get into an argument with you besides using numbers. These are the players of today.
    We have to put structure to the years we're talking about for players primes within a generation.
    I say 10 year stretches is fair. In other words give me the 80's or 90's and I'll give you a list of players from the years 2015 to 2005. You'll see that today the past 10 years has been pretty good to basketball.
    For the sake of the 4 year stretch you're probably talking about I'll leave off players like Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen and go for the list below for the past 4 years and compare that with 10 years.

Stephen Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Aldridge, D-Rose, Kyrie Irving are Superstars in ANY day.

But here's a list of All-Stars comparable with any day in numbers you're talking, some of them I already listed above as Superstars:

Westbrook
    John Wall
    Durant
    Chris Paul
    Tony Parker
    La Marcus Aldridge
    Kyrie Irving
    Damian Lillard
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo
    Dirk
    Dwight (hard to put him on this list cause he's a lion in the land of oz with no heart)
    Derrick Rose

(intentionally left off regular All-Stars such as: Demarcus Cousins, Jimmy Butler, Chris Bosh,Derron Williams,Zach Randolph, Klay Thompson,Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan (only b/c of his age today is he not a superstar), Horford,Teague, Brook Lopez, Paul Pierce, Blake Griffin (almost superstar but just isn't and might not ever be)
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    I'm an 80's baby too and I can say you have more All-Stars in today's game (superstars is debateable) than yesterday and overrall players.
    Can't really get into an argument with you besides using numbers. These are the players of today.
    We have to put structure to the years we're talking about for players primes within a generation.
    I say 10 year stretches is fair. In other words give me the 80's or 90's and I'll give you a list of players from the years 2015 to 2005. You'll see that today the past 10 years has been pretty good to basketball.
    For the sake of the 4 year stretch you're probably talking about I'll leave off players like Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen and go for the list below for the past 4 years and compare that with 10 years.

Stephen Curry, Westbrook, Durant, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Aldridge, D-Rose, Kyrie Irving are Superstars in ANY day.

But here's a list of All-Stars comparable with any day in numbers you're talking, some of them I already listed above as Superstars:

Westbrook
    John Wall
    Durant
    Chris Paul
    Tony Parker
    La Marcus Aldridge
    Kyrie Irving
    Damian Lillard
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo
    Dirk
    Dwight (hard to put him on this list cause he's a lion in the land of oz with no heart)
    Derrick Rose

(intentionally left off regular All-Stars such as: Demarcus Cousins, Jimmy Butler, Chris Bosh,Derron Williams,Zach Randolph, Klay Thompson,Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan (only b/c of his age today is he not a superstar), Horford,Teague, Brook Lopez, Paul Pierce, Blake Griffin (almost superstar but just isn't and might not ever be)

I wouldn't call the bold superstars. Even Durant's debatable. Superstars have a certain amount of popularity within the general public, and a certain amount of success. Curry is working on getting on superstar level. Westbrook is the #2 guy on a team that has 1 finals appearance and got swept. Chris Paul has had too little team success for someone's who's 30 and has been in the league for a decade. Aldridge....c'mon. I'm skeptical on Rose, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. And Irving isn't there yet, but if him and Lebron can stream together some titles it could happen.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Westbrook
    John Wall
    Durant
    Chris Paul
    Tony Parker
    La Marcus Aldridge
    Kyrie Irving
    Damian Lillard
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo
    Dirk
    Derrick Rose

I wouldn't call the bold superstars. Even Durant's debatable. Superstars have a certain amount of popularity within the general public, and a certain amount of success. Curry is working on getting on superstar level. Westbrook is the #2 guy on a team that has 1 finals appearance and got swept. Chris Paul has had too little team success for someone's who's 30 and has been in the league for a decade. Aldridge....c'mon. I'm skeptical on Rose, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. And Irving isn't there yet, but if him and Lebron can stream together some titles it could happen.

KD easily a superstar

And Russ didn't get the broom

Yall forget how old Curry is too
  • bow to royalty
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Westbrook
    John Wall
    Durant
    Chris Paul
    Tony Parker
    La Marcus Aldridge
    Kyrie Irving
    Damian Lillard
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo
    Dirk
    Derrick Rose

KD easily a superstar

KD was on his way to superstar then fell off the path, but I think he didn't reach the level of team success people expected of him. Then the media stopped loving him as much (and loving Westbrook more because of this year). Hard to be easily a superstar when people debate if it's your team, unless you have a beastly team (Shaq/Kobe, Shaq/Wade, Lebron/Wade, Spurs, etc.). I'm not a NBA fan at all, and only watch some games in some series. But that may make me an even better judge of all-star because sometimes big NBA fans forget non-fans dunno these people. Dude said Aldridge up there...I had to think hard about who he was.

You're a Saints fan...look at Jimmy Graham. We know he's an extremely dominant TE, and real football fans consider him a Superstar. But casual fans may not even know who he is. And casual fans determine who's a superstar IMO. Unless T/S was using Superstar to describe talent...if that's the case I think he chose the wrong word
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Westbrook
    John Wall
    Durant
    Chris Paul
    Tony Parker
    La Marcus Aldridge
    Kyrie Irving
    Damian Lillard
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo
    Dirk
    Derrick Rose

KD easily a superstar

KD was on his way to superstar then fell off the path, but I think he didn't reach the level of team success people expected of him. Then the media stopped loving him as much (and loving Westbrook more because of this year). Hard to be easily a superstar when people debate if it's your team, unless you have a beastly team (Shaq/Kobe, Shaq/Wade, Lebron/Wade, Spurs, etc.). I'm not a NBA fan at all, and only watch some games in some series. But that may make me an even better judge of all-star because sometimes big NBA fans forget non-fans dunno these people. Dude said Aldridge up there...I had to think hard about who he was.

yea bruh u need to stop right here and turn around.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    in what world is durant not a superstar

he even got his own corny ass childrens movie.

being a household name aint the only factor in being a superstar, results and numbers are a factor two, kevin durant is the damn 2nd best player in the nba.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    I edited before you posted. The part I added talked about how it's based on your definition of Superstar, and I don't use superstar to describe talent. But I use superstar to describe popularity. Proof? Name me some Superstar Offensive Linemen please. Tell me Tim Tebow isn't more of a superstar than Phillip Rivers.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Dude who made the thread said name more than 5. I did it. What one considers a superstar is relative. I look at numbers, popularity, franchise player, consistency, impact on the game style wise, rings, statistics. I provided about 15 names, well over 5, now in any era I'm going to challenge 80's baby to name me in only that 10 year span 15 players that nba students of the game can recognize.

I'll help out. In the 80's there was: (Bird, Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Barkley, Jordan, Isaiah,Dominique, Clyde Drexler, Ewing) After that the numbers get pretty dim. You can't say Dr.J (retiring)or Reggie Miller (a rookie) b/c those players weren't no where near their prime at that time.

Now go for the 90's and the year 2000-2010.
    I respect the game, but I can't honestly sit here and act like we don't have more teams and an equal amount of superstars in the NBA. The reason they might not receive some of the fandom they used to is b/c white people ain't really trying to act like they watch the NBA today; so White people ain't talking about them like they used to in the 80's.
    The game itself is on point, (on other guy's point) just cause a casual fan ain't paying attention doesn't mean much when you now have China, France, London, Brazil and even Korea paying attention and buying jerseys and watching games.