Jahlil Okafor Will Ask Timberwolves Not To Draft Him, Eyeing Lakers Move [REPORT]

Options
9TRAY
9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

468688454-jahlil-okafor-of-the-duke-blue-devils-looks-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QXfO5mU%2brVd%2bYGPfikEawhnVxoEPmWHjzajr3vDH3YWtG103cKlJ673y8E3JkO0ZGg%3d%3d

Jahlil Okafor is reportedly considering asking the Minnesota Timberwolves not to take him with the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft this year.

The Duke star is expected to be a Top 2 pick, but apparently he doesn’t fancy the idea of being selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

He’s expected to be a Top 2 pick in the draft, but doesn’t want to go from playing for the National Champions, to playing his basketball in Minnesota.

Basketball scribe Chuck Myron reports that Okafor might ask the Timberwolves not to take him with the first overall pick, so he can drop to the Los Angeles Lakers at No. 2 overall.

I think Okafor might. There are rumors that he has his heart set on the Lakers … I wouldn’t be surprised if he and his agent (a college buddy of Flip Saunders, Givony also pointed out) try to dissuade the Wolves from drafting him.
That rarely works, though, and if the Wolves like him, they’ll take him. For what it’s worth, Towns seems more open to going wherever he’s picked.
You could understand why a young kid would rather go to the Lakers than the Timberwolves.

The prestigious LA franchise would give Okafor the opportunity to grow into a star like legendary figures Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant have before him.

But is it fair that Okafor asks the Timberwolves not to draft him?

http://national.suntimes.com/nba/7/72/1159597/jahlil-okafor-timberwolves-lakers-draft

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmaooooo I ain't even mad at him
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MIN
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the lakers pass on him for Russell do the sixers pass on him too? It would be crazy to see him fall outside the top 5 but I'm pretty sure the sixers or magic would just draft him for ransom and ship him to the highest bidder
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Unless Julius Randle's progression toward developing a reliable jumpshot improves dramatically over the near future...
    Towns would probably be a better fit for the Lakers, because unlike Okafor, he would add a potential floor spacing option to the frontcourt.

Either way, the Lakers will have a nice frontcourt foundation for the future regardless of who they pick out of the two.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at passing on being the Number 1 pick
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same thing mike dunleavy did to the Clippers and his dad was the coach
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i still like the Emmanuel Mudiay guy the most, i think he has superstar potential.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    These rookies gotta alot of nerve man.
    LMFAO damn that's some Ether , "Yo i'm happy to be in the NBA and all but please yall ? don't draft me"
    Agreed.

The hilarious thing is this really isn't a new occurrence in sports...
    Kobe basically did it in the 90s and Eli Manning is an example of it in the NFL.

Nope Adidas made up a bs story about Kobe not wanting to play for the Nets. That was proven false.

Anyway if you have leverage like Okafor does, is it wrong for him to use it? I thinks not.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same thing mike dunleavy did to the Clippers and his dad was the coach

Bo Jackson did it when the Tampa Bay Bucs ? up his college eligibility or something. Said he didn't want them to draft him and they did anyway and he switched to baseball lol.

I remember Dominique Wilkins doing the same ? because he didn't want to leave Georgia. He originally got drafted by Utah until they traded him to the Hawks.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    John Elway did with Baltimore Colts
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont understand. They dont want it no more.
    Whoever drafts you as the #1 pick you should come in with the mindset that this is my team and I'm going to show everybody why you went #1.

Besides He might regret going to the Lakers. Kobe aint going to respect that and everybody know his mentality rub people the wrong way.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^

Bruh, I wouldn't wanna' play for the ? Timberwolves either. If K.G. couldn't win them a Ring, no one will.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steve Francis did it with Vancouver Grizzlies.

Honestly I'd do the same thing.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i still like the Emmanuel Mudiay guy the most, i think he has superstar potential.

Be honest do you really think he's nice or just saying that because he has the "unknown" factor because I know you didn't catch many of his games in China. I honestly don't know but some analyst during the NCAA Tournament said SMU would've been a title contender if he actually would've played there like he committed to do instead of going to China. Which isn't too far fetched considering they were a 6 seed without him.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only problem i got is it goin public and before the draft
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 216atlran
    216atlran Members Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    Options