The Weeknd Went Full Pop Star

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in R&B & Alternatives
lowkey this dude went full pop starting from Often, Earned It, that Ariana Grande joint, and now this

how you guys feel about this

http://www.soundpiff.com/track/11758-the-weeknd-i-cant-feel-my-face-full-track
http://www.spin.com/2015/05/the-weeknd-i-cant-feel-my-face-max-martin-song-download-stream/
only lanks right now

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's always had pop sounding songs
    with dark lyrics/content (house of balloons, wanderlust, odd looks, loft music, Montreal etc.)

I don't think the song you posted is bad because it's pop friendly. it's just a wack song
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    The joint I just posted in the other thread is dope, I havent heard this one yet.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    House of Balloons was excellent, Thursday was great, Echoes of Silence was alright, everything else has been rubbish.

He basically got it perfect on the first album and everything else has been diminishing returns. Now it seems like he's ran out of ideas and his lyrics have become pastiche and something of a cliche. If he's chasing the pop dollar then fair play to him - you can forgive him after the classic that is House of Balloons and as long as the album is good then I don't care, but I get the impression he had a vision at the beginning, got it right on the first attempt and now hasn't anywhere else to go or no new ideas.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    House of Balloons was excellent, Thursday was great, Echoes of Silence was alright, everything else has been rubbish.

He basically got it perfect on the first album and everything else has been diminishing returns. Now it seems like he's ran out of ideas and his lyrics have become pastiche and something of a cliche. If he's chasing the pop dollar then fair play to him - you can forgive him after the classic that is House of Balloons and as long as the album is good then I don't care, but I get the impression he had a vision at the beginning, got it right on the first attempt and now hasn't anywhere else to go or no new ideas.

i think it comes down to the production more than anything else, if im right in thinking he hasn't worked with that team since the mixtapes, those first three projects he had dominated my life for a good period.

ever since he released his album (which was alright) i haven't willingly listened to any song of his since, he's completely lost whatever edge he had at the beginning.

• BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only really liked his first tape. Seemed to get worse each drop after imo.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meanwhile ? dropped one of the best songs in his catalogue last year with Earned it and ? talking about rubbish

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Meanwhile ? dropped one of the best songs in his catalogue last year with Earned it and ? talking about rubbish

the song is cool and all but one of his best? nah