Cowboy Bebop Appreciation Thread

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!

Comments

• Cocoa_Butter
    Cocoa_Butter Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How you misspell the title when you got a pic with the name right in it? SMH.

Anyway, CB easily one of the dopest animes out there.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Delphas wrote: »
    How you misspell the title when you got a pic with the name right in it? SMH.

Anyway, CB easily one of the dopest animes out there.

Fixed it
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just copped this on DVD and watched the whole thing. It's one of those shows in constant rotation.

I'm not even mad at it being called the GOAT
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the most overrated anime of all time. Episodic animes not based on comedy are ? . Every episode that wasn't centered around spike (not including that ? ? cowboy ep and I have mixed feelings on the invincible penguin that fears cats), justice, or the old ? , was ? .
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Only anime I've ever seen was death note.

Kept hearing good things about this so i guess I'll try it next
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My favorite anime of all time. It has one of the GOAT anime soundtracks too.

What did you think of Death Note?

Cowboy Bebop is much different. Most of the episodes are not independent. Some people don't like that, but it's one of the things I like most about it. It gives it more replay value to me. I for one don't really like watching an episode that takes place in the middle of a plot. You don't really have that problem with Cowboy Bebop, so you can basically catch a random episode anytime and enjoy it.
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice art.

Cb was a show from the perspective of real ? .

Everything aint always faries and vampires.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo when spike got his ass whooped by the girls dad....Yo I laughed my ass of...he just knew he was going to give him the business and failed horribly
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. It's the GOAT anime, and my personal favorite (good 90s nostalgia too). People that don't even like anime can respect Cowboy Bebop. I can understand some of the criticism though.

Most of the credit for the soundtrack goes to Yoko Kanno. She also did the score to the Ghost in the Shell animes (another different but great kind of anime that isn't all school girls and demons [no disrespect, I myself have a soft spot for Inuyasha]).

Some of you already know this, but if you like Cowboy Bebop, you need to check out Samurai Champloo. Same creator, a few of the same voice actors, a similar vibe, good samurai story, and the score is done by some great Japanese and American hip hop (with jazz, soul, and/or funk influences) artists. I would've never heard of those guys if it wasn't for the anime, but Nujabes (R.I.P.), Fat Jon, Tsutchie, etc. are some of my favorite hip-hop producers of all-time along with the likes of Pete Rock, Primo, and Easy Mo Bee. The anime used to be on Netflix, but the producers put it up on YouTube for free. Here's the first episode, but the middle and latter episodes are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-qhxMrxDz4
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

Cowboy Bebop is much different. Most of the episodes are not independent. Some people don't like that, but it's one of the things I like most about it. It gives it more replay value to me. I for one don't really like watching an episode that takes place in the middle of a plot. You don't really have that problem with Cowboy Bebop, so you can basically catch a random episode anytime and enjoy it.

I loved death note. I'm a sucker for a 'smartest guy in the room with an equally as smart adversary' story. Ryuk was hilarious too.
  • jono
    Options
    @Plutarch we have an old thread discussing which show had the better soundtrack between Bebop and Champloo
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/527374/better-anime-soundtrack-cowboy-bebop-vs-samurai-champloo/p1
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options

I loved death note. I'm a sucker for a 'smartest guy in the room with an equally as smart adversary' story. Ryuk was hilarious too.

Yeah, Death Note was great, especially the first time watching it. I don't think that it's as great as some people say though. The first half was much better than the second half. Still a great show.
    jono wrote: »
    @Plutarch we have an old thread discussing which show had the better soundtrack between Bebop and Champloo
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/527374/better-anime-soundtrack-cowboy-bebop-vs-samurai-champloo/p1

good ? . CB and SC truly are some rare gems. I try to put my people on them whenever I can. It's not for everyone, but the right people can dig them. As for the better soundtrack, that's damn near impossible for me to decide, heh.

• The Lonious Monk
    edited May 2015
    Options

You might like Code Gaess then. It's an anime in the same vein as Death Note.

On an unrelated note, anyone ever check out Wolf's Rain?

Everyone knows about how Samurai Champloo is an anime mad by most of the same people as Cowboy Bebop. Wolf's Rain is too though. I think it just gets forgotten because it doesn't follow the same formula as CB and SC. I saw bits and pieces of it, but I need to watch the series again to see if it was good or not.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Guess ima have to check for samurai champloo too. Had me at nujabes.
  • jono
    Options

Everyone knows about how Samurai Champloo is an anime mad by most of the same people as Cowboy Bebop. Wolf's Rain is too though. I think it just gets forgotten because it doesn't follow the same formula as CB and SC. I saw bits and pieces of it, but I need to watch the series again to see if it was good or not.

I saw Wolf's Rain years ago on adult swim. I barely remember it, a friend of mine was obsessed with it though.
  • mikelewis2
    mikelewis2 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Options
    Great show, Edward and her random nonsense was hysterical to me. My favorite episode was with the dude and that red eye liquid.

Death Note is straight too, though I hate what happened to L in the series. Without giving too much away, he deserved a lot better. The show I just started getting into was Attack on Titan.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I agree. It's the GOAT anime, and my personal favorite (good 90s nostalgia too). People that don't even like anime can respect Cowboy Bebop. I can understand some of the criticism though.

Most of the credit for the soundtrack goes to Yoko Kanno. She also did the score to the Ghost in the Shell animes (another different but great kind of anime that isn't all school girls and demons [no disrespect, I myself have a soft spot for Inuyasha]).

Some of you already know this, but if you like Cowboy Bebop, you need to check out Samurai Champloo. Same creator, a few of the same voice actors, a similar vibe, good samurai story, and the score is done by some great Japanese and American hip hop (with jazz, soul, and/or funk influences) artists. I would've never heard of those guys if it wasn't for the anime, but Nujabes (R.I.P.), Fat Jon, Tsutchie, etc. are some of my favorite hip-hop producers of all-time along with the likes of Pete Rock, Primo, and Easy Mo Bee. The anime used to be on Netflix, but the producers put it up on YouTube for free. Here's the first episode, but the middle and latter episodes are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-qhxMrxDz4

3b3.jpg

Samurai Champloo is one of the single greatest animes ever!
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is Wolf's Rain about?
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot all about Wolf's Rain.

Solid anime.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

What is Wolf's Rain about?

It's kinda weird, but basically wolves have been extinct for 200 years, but in truth they are around, they have just learned out to cast illusions and blend in with human. It sounds crazy, but these are like Japanese mythological type animals, which are basically intelligent and have magic. Four wolves group up in search the Lunar Flower which the believe will lead them to the paradise that only wolves can find. Along the journey, they run into a bunch of craziness just like in SC.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Cowboy bebop wasnt on netflix but samurai champloo was...saw the first 2 eps. I'm diggin it.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ? no signing gave ? about the ? that lost her memory or ed? Outside of the soundtrack this ? is a snooze fest I put up with just to get it out my backlog. ? so boring majority of the posts in here is recommending other shows to watch.