FBI carefully looking into John Crawford Wal-Mart shooting...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://m.wlwt.com/news/ap-newsbreak-fbi-carefully-probing-beavercreek-walmart-shooting/33265480
AP NewsBreak: FBI carefully probing Beavercreek Wal-Mart shooting

FAIRFIELD, Ohio -
The new head of the FBI's Cincinnati division says agents are conducting a thorough review of last year's fatal police shooting of a black man in a suburban Dayton Wal-Mart store.

Angela Byers, who became the division's special agent in charge in February, said in an Associated Press interview that agents are working with the U.S. Attorney's Office and the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division to take "a double look" at the case in the context of federal laws "to make sure there's nothing more that we feel at the federal level needs to be done.

"That involves getting everything from the first case and going through it with a fine-tooth comb," she said Wednesday at her office in suburban Cincinnati. "So that takes a while."

Federal authorities announced plans for an independent review after a grand jury declined in September to indict officers in the Aug. 5 death of 22-year-old John Crawford III. Police said they believed he had a rifle in the crowded store and he didn't respond to repeated commands to put it down. It was an air rifle.

FBI agents could interview witnesses and police officers as part of their review.

Byers declined to discuss details of what the agency is doing, saying it's "an ongoing investigation."

FBI spokesman Todd Lindgren said the FBI review involves a lead investigator with five agents in supporting roles, with other support as needed from the FBI's Civil Rights Unit at bureau headquarters. A supervisory special agent participates in meetings with the U.S. Attorney's Office and Justice Department, he said.

Prosecutors would need to satisfy a rigorous standard for a federal civil rights violation case, proving that the officers willfully deprived Crawford of his civil rights.

Courts often give police wide latitude in using deadly force when they feel under threat.

The City of Beavercreek said last year it had requested an FBI review, although the city felt its officers did what they were trained to do.

Crawford's parents said they met last week in Cincinnati with U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch after a forum on community policing reforms by that city's police department in the aftermath of 2001 race riots there. They said Lynch didn't provide a lot of information on the federal probe.

"It was more of a feel of, 'I've got to show these people some type of sympathy, some type of understanding,'" John Crawford Jr. told WLWT-TV of Cincinnati.

The family's attorney, Michael Wright, said the federal review is encouraging.

"We are happy that there is an independent investigation and an independent eye on all the facts in this case," Wright said Thursday.Crawford's family has filed a civil lawsuit against Beavercreek, its police and Wal-Mart.

The case continues to spur protests. A group calling itself Black Lives Matter Miami Valley plans a Friday afternoon demonstration outside the Dayton federal building, saying it wants justice in the case.

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good. This case is one of the most troubling of the recent killings of blacks by police. The video clearly contradicts the police version of events. The officers should be indicted for whatever they can legally be indicted for.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    don't hold your breath on the FBI actually doing anything significant here

they aint on your side
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    don't hold your breath on the FBI actually doing anything significant here

they aint on your side

I was gonna hold my breath but now I won't.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont understand how the police can change their story and have absolutely no accountability for it. To me, if the police say he aggressively turned around, but the video shows he's talking on the phone with his back turned, then its a lie and the cop loses his job. The ? tape shows they shot this man within like 2 seconds without him seeing them. What's to investigate?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They just doin this to appease the public/black folks. The FBI aint gonna investigate ?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the FBI and the DOJ

? DOJ can lock up and indict the damn FIFA soccer people but not the police killing black people on video or Zimmerman

Nothing will come of this sham investigation
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But the FBI has all the time and resources to go after FIFA. Another joke of a government agency.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I once thought it was good that DOJ was getting involved until Trayvon, Mike Brown and countless of other murders by the police
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yay. Hopefully they'll find more "racial bias" in the practices conducted by the police department. More ?
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They shot a man holding a toy gun in an open carry state...
    What r they investigating?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/justice-department-police-walmart-shooting_us_59653af7e4b03f144e2ecfa3
    Ohio Cop Who Fatally Shot Walmart Shopper John Crawford III Won’t Be Charged

The Justice Department said it can’t prove the officer violated the slain man’s civil rights.

An Ohio police officer who fatally shot a black Walmart shopper holding an air rifle did not violate federal civil rights laws, the Justice Department said Tuesday.

Beavercreek Police Officer Sean Williams, already cleared in a criminal investigation of the August 2014 shooting death of John Crawford III, will not be charged with any federal offenses, officials said in announcing the conclusion of their investigation.

“This investigation revealed that the evidence is insufficient to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Officer Williams violated federal civil rights laws,” the Justice Department and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District Ohio said in a statement. The offices “will not pursue federal criminal civil rights charges against Officer Williams.”

Crawford’s family has been notified of the decision, the statement said.

Crawford, 22, picked up a pellet gun while shopping in the Walmart toy section, prompting a 911 call from a customer who wrongly reported he was loading a rifle and pointing it at children.

Store surveillance video showed Crawford casually walking around the store with the toy gun in one hand while talking on his cell phone. A short time later, Crawford is seen being fatally shot by Williams.

A grand jury declined to indict Williams or a second officer involved in the shooting on criminal charges.

Dukie.gif
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D.A.P.S.- Dog And Pony Show. Will be nothing 2 C here, just clear the area when it's over.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Same thing every time...and I get ? every time!!!!!!@ This is brainwashing/conditioning that it's ok to ? a ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We all know the cops won't get charged, but did anything happen to the ? that called the cops in the first place.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    We all know the cops won't get charged, but did anything happen to the ? that called the cops in the first place.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ronald-ritchie-john-crawford_us_57065a21e4b0b90ac2714e86

He wasn't charged most likely because of white privilege...
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh was innocent af and well within his rights and still no punishment for his murder

If Jordan Edwards doesn't get justice ima go Rogue, ? it
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cops, dispatchers, callers. None are held accountable. White ppl literally have control over black lives and can have 1 ended whenever they choose
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @Trillfate ...R U tired yet? I am. And every other brother I know is. It's coming. But in the meanwhile keep knocking up white women and diluting that weak white Neanderthal DNA. ? em genetically. Who ain't got guns? I wanna wipe em out with this Melanin! They hate even hearing this.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Only person that needs to be held accountable for Crawford's death is the man who placed the bogus 911 call.
    seriously not understanding why he wasn't, to be honest