The Goat Album Tournament - Semi Finals: Reasonable Doubt VS ?

Options

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    Oh and OBFCL lost to ? in the last round and OBFCL is better than Reasonable Doubt imo
  • blatalian
    blatalian Members Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    It didn't take Biggie dying for me to be a Jay fan...RD is a classic album and his best...he has other classic albums but none touching RD...facts....RD was 25 yrs in tha making so it had more substance than tha other albums that were 1 yr at a time...
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    Jays best ? is Brookyns finest (and that's cuz Big was murdering him on it) and D EVILS. Scoops ? , G`s & Hustlers, pump pump, Murder was the case as well as snoop overall production being better....I mean it's an easy choice to me

Even they hit singles

Gin & juice>>>>>Ain't no ? (simp anthem)
  • Stew
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    @_Goldie_ u should know better not to make this kinda thread on a Saturday night b smh I know u was itchin to make it but you couldve held out to Monday lol
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    Stew wrote: »
    @_Goldie_ u should know better not to make this kinda thread on a Saturday night b smh I know u was itchin to make it but you couldve held out to Monday lol

Yea i was gonna wait till tomorrow, but I said ? it lol. Its getting more traffic than I thought it would for a Saturday tho.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    Both albums in my top 5

But ? paid respect to my favorite rapper Slick Rick, instilled in me a lifelong love of gin & juice, & bangs start to finish....

Aint No ? makes me SMH everytime it comes on
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Recipe wrote: »
    jayz_source896.jpg

jayz_source8962.jpg

snoop_doggystylesource294.jpg

Pretty harsh reviews for both albums lol
  • supergangster
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Dave2one6 wrote: »
    Dear, ? , i wonder could you save me, I cant die......

"Illuminati want my mind, soul and my body"

? ? dont act like Jay wrote that ?
    tumblr_lu055rzV3r1qfrsjro1_500.gif
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    Snoop Dogg- G'z Up Hoes Down (unreleased)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=qTzL27E2IYM

Jay Z- Can I Live
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=JC7MJ8l73SQ
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    ^ GOAT

Nice breakdown... even tho u reek of the East Coast Bias
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    Had to put my bias to the side. But you gotta give credit where it's due. To deny ? is pure fuckery. But imo RD is way more advanced and still resonates with a lot of people in that way.
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ?
    5th Letter wrote: »

Jay Z- Can I Live

The youtube title is actually wrong. "G'z Up Hoes Down" WAS released on the first pressings of Snoop's "? ". But in a rush to put out the record by deadline, they didn't get the proper sample clearance from Isaac Hayes' people and someone from his camp filed a lawsuit which led to an album recall.

A hastily re-issued album came out with a different sample but I still have a copy with the original version on it.

• Stew
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ?
    I was 16 when rd dropped 13 when ? came out. It was a different climate when these albums came out. The chronic came and ? the game up. NY ? was amazed at how well put together that album was. When everybody heard snoop on that album. Everyone knew he was gonna be a star. The anticipation for his solo was tremendous on both coasts. NYC was ? with that death row movement hard.. Different sound, different perspective, different slang just all around impact. Snoop changed the game. If it wasn't for RTD and illmatic the west coast stranglehold would've been even stronger. That's how strong those two albums were.

RTD and illmatic saved us. We was always lyrics first beats second. As long as your head was nodding the lyrics did the rest. Yall are right when you say RD had no impact when it dropped. And the reason for that it was to many great artist in NY at the time for him to compete with. Ob4cl had NY on smash. Everywhere you went you heard either ice cream or criminology. That album was to strong for anybody to ? with at the time. That ? had every rap ? that thought they was on top reevaluate they own ? . And jay ? just didn't standout. But the thing about RD was like a few before albums before it. The ? was ahead of its time. The ? was making grown man hustler music that was so coded that you really didn't appreciate it until he dumbed down on Vol.2 and that's when it hit ? . I really didn't catch it till I was 20. Coming from OT listening to regrets. A 16 year old can't relate to some of the ? he was saying in that song or ? in d'evils. Not saying it was to advanced but you had to be knee deep in it to appreciate that type of angle he was coming from. Aside from ain't no ? which I don't think is a bad song at all. There's not one bad track on that album.

So now in 2015 I listen to both of those albums. One gives me a nostalgic Feeling like damn I remember what I was doing when Gin and Juice came out etc etc. but when I listen to reasonable doubt, I see the picture he he was trying to paint. I was just young to see his vision in 96.

"Ghettos Errol Flynn hot like heroin young pimps is thorough when I ? through your borough in. You young boys keep your chicks intact cause I walk like a ? talk like a Mack trick.

Thats because he was 27 when he put that album out bruh. He was a rookie(mainstream wise) at 27! Most of our fav rappers minus Jay/Em were teenagers when they dropped, thats why it sounded like that. Had RD not worked, he'd be still pushin weight or workin a regular ass job.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    ?
    ? vs Me Against The World
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    ?
    so its gonna be a west coast rapper vs illmatic an east coast rapper
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt

Still got Me Against The World VS Its Dark and Hell is Hot in the semi finals
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    5th Letter wrote: »

Jay Z- Can I Live

The youtube title is actually wrong. "G'z Up Hoes Down" WAS released on the first pressings of Snoop's "? ". But in a rush to put out the record by deadline, they didn't get the proper sample clearance from Isaac Hayes' people and someone from his camp filed a lawsuit which led to an album recall.

A hastily re-issued album came out with a different sample but I still have a copy with the original version on it.

I read about that years ago but I just don't count it as an official album cut.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    ?
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

Still got Me Against The World VS Its Dark and Hell is Hot in the semi finals

im predicting pac to win
  • supergangster
    Options
    ?
    I was 16 when rd dropped 13 when ? came out. It was a different climate when these albums came out. The chronic came and ? the game up. NY ? was amazed at how well put together that album was. When everybody heard snoop on that album. Everyone knew he was gonna be a star. The anticipation for his solo was tremendous on both coasts. NYC was ? with that death row movement hard.. Different sound, different perspective, different slang just all around impact. Snoop changed the game. If it wasn't for RTD and illmatic the west coast stranglehold would've been even stronger. That's how strong those two albums were.

RTD and illmatic saved us. We was always lyrics first beats second. As long as your head was nodding the lyrics did the rest. Yall are right when you say RD had no impact when it dropped. And the reason for that it was to many great artist in NY at the time for him to compete with. Ob4cl had NY on smash. Everywhere you went you heard either ice cream or criminology. That album was to strong for anybody to ? with at the time. That ? had every rap ? that thought they was on top reevaluate they own ? . And jay ? just didn't standout. But the thing about RD was like a few before albums before it. The ? was ahead of its time. The ? was making grown man hustler music that was so coded that you really didn't appreciate it until he dumbed down on Vol.2 and that's when it hit ? . I really didn't catch it till I was 20. Coming from OT listening to regrets. A 16 year old can't relate to some of the ? he was saying in that song or ? in d'evils. Not saying it was to advanced but you had to be knee deep in it to appreciate that type of angle he was coming from. Aside from ain't no ? which I don't think is a bad song at all. There's not one bad track on that album.

So now in 2015 I listen to both of those albums. One gives me a nostalgic Feeling like damn I remember what I was doing when Gin and Juice came out etc etc. but when I listen to reasonable doubt, I see the picture he he was trying to paint. I was just young to see his vision in 96.

"Ghettos Errol Flynn hot like heroin young pimps is thorough when I ? through your borough in. You young boys keep your chicks intact cause I walk like a ? talk like a Mack trick.

Reasonable Doubt is a basic album and Jay Z in general is the most overrated rapper of all time
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt

As a young fan that 93-96 era of hip hop was incredible.
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable Doubt
    @stew that's the beauty of it though. Chuck D started when he was 27 same as 50 cent. Both of there music reached different age demographics. The adults ? with PE. The kids ? with 50. When RD dropped jay had both demographics and the ? . Just tougher competition. Win/lose situation. He may have lost to some then. But he eventually started winning soon after. Gift and the Curse.
This discussion has been closed.