How hard is the transition from a PC to a MAC?

ccluvsau
ccluvsau Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in IllTek
I mean...I have an Iphone and Ipods....I'm thinking about just investing (yes I hear they are investments) in a MAC.

What won't I be able to do like I do on my PC?

Comments

• The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I crossed over back in 05' ? was dumb easy. Now, whenever I have to use a PC for something I just wanna break it.

imac.preview.jpg

FTW!
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Don't fall for the hype.

I have a Dell laptop and we have a mac desktop in my house. Every family desktop we've had has been a mac. My old desktop in my room and my current laptop are PCs. We've always had macs in Fairfax county schools until high school our libraries had some PCs. All the computers in our computer labs at school are macs

I say all this to say that even with all these macs around me, I still wouldn't choose one. They are not user friendly. I love the Windows lay-out. Now if you get a mac and don't run the Mac OS, they have at it, but what's the point?
  • ill_lojikal_kon
    ill_lojikal_kon Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    It's not hard at all. The transition I found was pretty easy when I bought my Macbook. I went back to PC for a couple of reasons though.

1. Apple take forever to update their hardware (this is more of a "so what" complaint) or even software.
    2. When they do so the release usually have some sort of problem. It's not until the Revision B start rolling in that everything is a go (I don't really see that so often with PCs).
    3. While they do have good customer service, they have a problem of admitting when they ? up or do something wrong.
    4. Most of the software I want to use is Windows only. Though I will admit the Macbook is the second best windows laptop I used compared to the one I am using right now.

? I just realized I didnt really answer your second part. lol. Well t/s what do you plan on doing with a Mac computer?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of PC's that Dr Dre beat for the commercial go hard

Mac=PC
    PC=Mac

But I have a Mac right now

And to answer your question simply, no
  • Rell Mayne
    Rell Mayne Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    come on wit this CC
  • ccluvsau
    edited July 2010
    Don't fall for the hype.

I have a Dell laptop and we have a mac desktop in my house. Every family desktop we've had has been a mac. My old desktop in my room and my current laptop are PCs. We've always had macs in Fairfax county schools until high school our libraries had some PCs. All the computers in our computer labs at school are macs

I say all this to say that even with all these macs around me, I still wouldn't choose one. They are not user friendly. I love the Windows lay-out. Now if you get a mac and don't run the Mac OS, they have at it, but what's the point?

What's make them not user friendly to you?
  • ccluvsau
    edited July 2010
    It's not hard at all. The transition I found was pretty easy when I bought my Macbook. I went back to PC for a couple of reasons though.

1. Apple take forever to update their hardware (this is more of a "so what" complaint) or even software.
    2. When they do so the release usually have some sort of problem. It's not until the Revision B start rolling in that everything is a go (I don't really see that so often with PCs).
    3. While they do have good customer service, they have a problem of admitting when they ? up or do something wrong.
    4. Most of the software I want to use is Windows only. Though I will admit the Macbook is the second best windows laptop I used compared to the one I am using right now.

? I just realized I didnt really answer your second part. lol. Well t/s what do you plan on doing with a Mac computer?

I plan to use it for my phone, work, docs and I need to be able to carry it around everywhere.
    As far as software and things like that...IDK.
  • BootyButterPi
    BootyButterPi Members Posts: 1,436 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I dont think i could do it. for some reason im anti-apple. i aint got not stocks in dat ? .
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    It's pretty easy. Keystroke commands are different, which is an adjustment (when i do use macs).

In all honesty tho...unless your into musical editing/composition, photo editing, graphical design I wouldn't make the change.
  • ill_lojikal_kon
    ill_lojikal_kon Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    ccluvsau wrote: »
    I plan to use it for my phone, work, docs and I need to be able to carry it around everywhere.
    As far as software and things like that...IDK.

Work stuff there is one limitation. If your company requires you to use Microsoft Outlook or Access you are ? . Otherwise for presentations, documents, and spreadsheets, Powerpoint, Word, and Excel are available in Office for Mac.The only other advantage with going Mac in your case would be integration of your apple products and easier access to support.

It's pretty easy. Keystroke commands are different, which is an adjustment (when i do use macs).

In all honesty tho...unless your into musical editing/composition, photo editing, graphical design I wouldn't make the change.

That is probably the only reason you should make the switch, but even then I feel that is an overstatement, at least on the music side of things. IMO the reason to make the change is if you find that you get more work done more efficiently in an OS X environment than in Windows.
  • BeardedFreak
    BeardedFreak Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    can you download torrents and other illegal ? easily with a mac?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    CC you know i luv u baby girl but the transition for you compared to others is different LOL. steve jobs himself would have to show you , then after that he can show you how to make tuna LOL

sike nah baby but u do make things seem harder cause you over analyze LOL
  • ccluvsau
    edited July 2010
    CC you know i luv u baby girl but the transition for you compared to others is different LOL. steve jobs himself would have to show you , then after that he can show you how to make tuna LOL

sike nah baby but u do make things seem harder cause you over analyze LOL

Cooking is the Devil.
    I can handle computers.
  • Young D.Wash
    Young D.Wash Members Posts: 212
    edited July 2010
    Macs are very user friendly you get used to it as soon as you start using it and you don't miss the "right click" on pc's .... PC's are Bella complicated to me now
  • ccluvsau
    edited July 2010
    Wait.

You can't right click!?!?!

WTF? How do you save or download stuff?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    i got a macbook. hell, if u got an iphone, best choice is a mac. pc has too many issues regarding bugs, and ? . don't have that issue wit mac
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Wait.

actually u can rite click, wit another mouse tho. the mouse that came wit my mac tho, i don't believe u can rite click
  • Young D.Wash
    Young D.Wash Members Posts: 212
    edited July 2010
    most stuff you can drag to the desktop if your talkin about saving it from the internet ..downloading is easy too most stuff i see it has a download option
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Wait.

control+click=right click
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    why would you downgrade to a mac?
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Don't know... I've been using Macs for 10 years... Its a great investment though Miss CC.

I use PC's all the time at school and ? and Apple blows that ? out the water... The set up is way more modern and sleek.... Its easy to download music.. just download unRarX.. if you use torrents download Vuze... Everything goes straight to iTunes. If you're into downloading movies.. grab you MPlayer OS X 2... and Script Editor. I engineer music and Macs are really compatible with Pro Tools. If you do movies Final Cut Pro is perfect for Macs.. Purchase you a lil Microsoft Office set up.. its a whole bunch of ? already on there like iChat. Easy to navigate. Way less susceptible to viruses (had my own personal mac for 4 years.. never caught 1 virus yet).. runs way quicker than PC's. Looks nicer. Perfect for all your apple products.

As for the right click mouse thing.. yeah I just use a regular Microsoft mouse...easy.

INVEST CC. You won't regret it.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Don't know... I've been using Macs for 10 years... Its a great investment though Miss CC.

I use PC's all the time at school and ? and Apple blows that ? out the water... The set up is way more modern and sleek.... Its easy to download music.. just download unRarX.. if you use torrents download Vuze... Everything goes straight to iTunes. If you're into downloading movies.. grab you MPlayer OS X 2... and Script Editor. I engineer music and Macs are really compatible with Pro Tools. If you do movies Final Cut Pro is perfect for Macs.. Purchase you a lil Microsoft Office set up.. its a whole bunch of ? already on there like iChat. Easy to navigate. Way less susceptible to viruses (had my own personal mac for 4 years.. never caught 1 virus yet).. runs way quicker than PC's. Looks nicer. Perfect for all your apple products.

As for the right click mouse thing.. yeah I just use a regular Microsoft mouse...easy.

INVEST CC. You won't regret it.

you just gave no good reasons.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    riddlerap wrote: »
    you just gave no good reasons.

I mean not having to deal with that virus ? alone is a good enough reason for me. All those antivirus programs are wack as ? . But other than that its just a preference thing... only people who have used both heavily understand.
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    The first thing you have to do when switching from a Mac to a PC is to let all the hype and inhibitions take a backseat. Macs seem foreign to alot of people because they've always been PC, but that doesn't mean the transition is hard at all.

1. Most software on the market has a Mac equivalent and/or is compatible with both OSs.
    2. If you use mostly Windows based software at your job or at home or at school, it's fine. Use bootcamp and slap Windows on your mac and boot up in Windows when you have to do work with that software. If you wanna use both, drop $80 on a program called Parallel that lets you dual-boot in Mac and Windows.
    3. The mac operation system is more user friendly, as there are less screen/hoops to jump through, you click on what you want on the desktop, and the options for the program you are currently using appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It's very easy and clean.
    4. Apple products work seamlessly with one another, you don't have to worry about ? ? up and not working like it's supposed too.
    5. On a Mac you get a bunch of full version useful software already loaded on the machine, not a bunch of ? promotional and trial software that clogs up your computer and that you have to take off.
    6. The virus protection companies won't make a ? killing off of you anymore, they make virus protection for the Mac, but right now (and probably not ever) most people don't use any. I could go into why Macs don't get as many viruses but that is another thread entirely.
    7. The quality of service you get from Apple is the best in the world, no talking to a guy from India who's name is "Matt". You get top-notch tech support from American techs, and he happens to be a Frenchman, his English is damn good.

The transition isn't hard, you just have to acknowledge that it is a different system with alot of similarities. And for the record you can right click with the original apple mouse, you just have to click very carefully. There is a right and left click present on that mouse, I know because I operate one 5 days out of the week.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010