Why is the media making fun of Rachel Dolezal but treating Bruce Jenner like a status symbol?

kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why is this? I know Rachel Dolezal lied to many people and I get that but technically, didn't Bruce Jenner "lie" about himself being a man for all this time too? He claims he lived a lie for 65 years.

When Bruce Jenner, a father of many children, turned himself into a woman a few weeks ago, the media mostly responded with applause and praise. I reacted with amusement at that and was told by many women to not be judgmental and leave him alone.

But now when a White woman says she is Black, wears a Sideshow Bob weave, and sprays her face orange, she's suddenly a horrible person. I'm not saying Rachel is a good person either, she lied to many people and benefitted from it (in some ways) but technically, shouldn't we be treating Bruce Jenner and Rachel Dolezal the same way?

Realistically, what is really different about them? Rachel is demonized, while Caitlyn Jenner is being treated like a sex symbol on magazine covers. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    well, Rachel Dolezal also sued Howard University for discriminating against her because she was white, so ? her

also, here's the thing: why does one case excuse the other? like, you think Bruce Jenner's a fraud... but by your own admission, you mocked him, so why give Dolezal a pass?
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2015
    janklow wrote: »
    well, Rachel Dolezal also sued Howard University for discriminating against her because she was white, so ? her

also, here's the thing: why does one case excuse the other? like, you think Bruce Jenner's a fraud... but by your own admission, you mocked him, so why give Dolezal a pass?

Oh I'm not giving Dolezal a pass at all, frankly I find BOTH of their behaviors strange. But at the same time, I'm sure there are many others out there like Rachel who deep down feel something they are not, so I'm just wondering why the media is being harder on her compared to Bruce.

Especially when Bruce's change was if anything more dramatic. It's a lot easier to spray yourself orange then have doctors literally take your private parts out. The same people in the media who I saw and heard praising Bruce for changing himself are the same people dissing Rachel. I cannot understand this.

• iNeverCould
    iNeverCould Members Posts: 60
    Hmm. Good question.
  • janklow
    Oh I'm not giving Dolezal a pass at all, frankly I find BOTH of their behaviors strange. But at the same time, I'm sure there are many others out there like Rachel who deep down feel something they are not, so I'm just wondering why the media is being harder on her compared to Bruce.
    right, but the thing is, there's a big chunk of people who responded to her situation by saying "WHY AREN'T WE MORE MAD ABOUT BRUCE JENNER?!" because we're talking about something else right now?

also remember Dolezal may have faked a hate crime
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I think mainly because there is still an argument about whether she was conscious and true to her mental state, where as we really do think Jenner is ? as ? , and there isn't much you can do about that. Yeah he's a liar (or is his condition a lie?), but if he wasn't sleeping around and passing aids on the low, then people aren't as outraged. Rachel was aids to the Civil Rights movement, and her white privilege has protected her (she had a lot of defenders black and white in and out of the media), but at the same time, unlike Bruccila, she hasn't admitted to her lie (or create her lie in public like Bruce?). The media wants to see you kneel on the sword and accept your shame. She damn sure wasn't feeling black since 5.
  • kingblaze84
    right, but the thing is, there's a big chunk of people who responded to her situation by saying "WHY AREN'T WE MORE MAD ABOUT BRUCE JENNER?!" because we're talking about something else right now?

also remember Dolezal may have faked a hate crime

I probably didn't notice it as much before but I am starting to see a few more people in the media ask what the difference is between Bruce and Rachel. I was watching a cable channel (HLN or something like that) and there was a show dedicated to Rachel and transgenders who feel they shouldn't be compared to Rachel for whatever reason. The differences they gave were pretty comical to me but whatever.

Rachel may have faked a hate crime, but maybe she didn't. She does have 4 Black kids after all.
  • kingblaze84
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    I think mainly because there is still an argument about whether she was conscious and true to her mental state, where as we really do think Jenner is ? as ? , and there isn't much you can do about that. Yeah he's a liar (or is his condition a lie?), but if he wasn't sleeping around and passing aids on the low, then people aren't as outraged. Rachel was aids to the Civil Rights movement, and her white privilege has protected her (she had a lot of defenders black and white in and out of the media), but at the same time, unlike Bruccila, she hasn't admitted to her lie (or create her lie in public like Bruce?). The media wants to see you kneel on the sword and accept your shame. She damn sure wasn't feeling black since 5.

I see where you coming from, Rachel misled a lot of people and I have been seeing some people defend her, Black and White. She definitely hasn't admitted to her lie but she did resign from being head of the NAACP in Spokane, something I agreed she should do. But she seems to really believe she is Black lol, just as Bruce really believes he is a woman. So in a way, neither is admitting they are living a lie.

The funny thing though is that Rachel did say she felt Black since she was 5, she said she drew herself with a black or brown crayon growing up. She did mark herself White in some forms before 2007, but Bruce marked himself as a man in his driver's license for the longest as well.
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These two clown ass ? getting all this publicity for nothing really........ I don't give no ? about a dude ? or a fake ass ? .
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited June 2015

I see where you coming from, Rachel misled a lot of people and I have been seeing some people defend her, Black and White. She definitely hasn't admitted to her lie but she did resign from being head of the NAACP in Spokane, something I agreed she should do. But she seems to really believe she is Black lol, just as Bruce really believes he is a woman. So in a way, neither is admitting they are living a lie.

The funny thing though is that Rachel did say she felt Black since she was 5, she said she drew herself with a black or brown crayon growing up. She did mark herself White in some forms before 2007, but Bruce marked himself as a man in his driver's license for the longest as well.

No she doesn't. She is a con artist evident by her slick answers. How the hell do you feel black? It's not like you have a urge for ? . You can't just wake one morning feeling black. People box us in enough. We are black by our lineage and direct familial bloodline relations handed down. Sex and Color are extremely different mind states and history made the divisions ingrained. That's that Iggy azealia let me make what i perceive to be a black voice ? . She was attracted to the black culture that she saw and wanted to emulate it while at the same time offending others for being "not black enough".

She wasn't black when she was plagiarizing other peoples artwork, and suing a black university for her whiteness or claiming her child to be multiracial. She never even went full black anyway, she playing that role now, but she was fronting as a mulatto, and now she's blacker than black and her parents can't prove she isn't genetically? wtf? Her family said she was lying about that story about being black at 5, and others pointed out that she stole that story from Mariah Carey, a real mixed child. Bruce was lying to himself but most people wouldn't accept him as a women an think he's lying now and is a impostor, and they speak on that. Don't expect the media to speak on it unless they are conservative or religious. Nobody would buy the ? Dolezal was pushing if she made her transformation in public.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2015

No she doesn't. She is a con artist evident by her slick answers. How the hell do you feel black? It's not like you have a urge for ? . You can't just wake one morning feeling black. People box us in enough. We are black by our lineage and direct familial bloodline relations handed down. Sex and Color are extremely different mind states and history made the divisions ingrained. That's that Iggy azealia let me make what i perceive to be a black voice ? . She was attracted to the black culture that she saw and wanted to emulate it while at the same time offending others for being "not black enough".

She wasn't black when she was plagiarizing other peoples artwork, and suing a black university for her whiteness or claiming her child to be multiracial. She never even went full black anyway, she playing that role now, but she was fronting as a mulatto, and now she's blacker than black and her parents can't prove she isn't genetically? wtf? Her family said she was lying about that story about being black at 5, and others pointed out that she stole that story from Mariah Carey, a real mixed child. Bruce was lying to himself but most people wouldn't accept him as a women an think he's lying now and is a impostor, and they speak on that. Don't expect the media to speak on it unless they are conservative or religious. Nobody would buy the ? Dolezal was pushing if she made her transformation in public.

I do have the urge for ? fool lol....I think you mean I don't have the urge to have a ? . But I see your points, it's just weird that people in the media who praised Bruce are going so hard on Rachel when both led lives of lies for so long. Bruce had 6 kids and was a married father at one point who suddenly decides to be a woman with ? at the age of 65. Few would buy, understandably, the fact that Rachel claims she is a Black woman. But why are so many quick to buy into the idea that Bruce is suddenly a real woman? Because he's had a bunch of surgery to grow ? ? I don't know if Bruce has a ? yet and frankly don't want to know if he's grown one. And even if he did, is he a real woman?

Both woke up one day uncomfortable with what they really are and both made changes to that effect. I never liked Iggy but that's mostly cuz her music sucks. And I have noticed it's mostly those on the conservative side going hard at Bruce/Caitlyn, but I just find changing one's sex not much different then changing one's race. Both seem ridiculous in their own way, although I'm trying hard not to be too judgmental on this, I can't hide my amusement.

• janklow
    Rachel may have faked a hate crime, but maybe she didn't. She does have 4 Black kids after all.
    how does having black kids mean she wouldn't fake a hate crime, though
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2015
    how does having black kids mean she wouldn't fake a hate crime, though

I don't know for sure but since she does have 4 Black kids, she may have gotten packages meant for them. I think one of her kids admitted that but I may have heard wrong.
  • janklow
    I don't know for sure but since she does have 4 Black kids, she may have gotten packages meant for them. I think one of her kids admitted that but I may have heard wrong.
    ...that would not explain the accusation that she's faked the hate crime either?

• kingblaze84
    ...that would not explain the accusation that she's faked the hate crime either?

I haven't seen proof she faked it yet, are you talking about the rope she complained about?
  • janklow
    I haven't seen proof she faked it yet, are you talking about the rope she complained about?
    going to just be lazy and use this Slate article for right now:
    Dolezal’s bio at Eastern Washington University, where she has taught Africana Studies, says she and her children suffered “at least eight documented hate crimes” when she lived in Idaho. But police records show no such documentation, apart from Dolezal’s statements and characterizations. For instance, the Easterner profile, based on Dolezal’s account, says “white supremacy groups burglarized every home she and her son lived in.” But according to a police spokeswoman who heads the task force overseeing HREI, the sole burglary report filed by Dolezal, involving a washer that was stolen from a storage shed in 2008, yielded no information about suspects. The spokeswoman says Dolezal “never called back with any further info.”

Dolezal says a “violent hate group” may have been involved in a “home invasion” at her residence. But the only home intrusion she reported, in April 2009, involved a man and woman who had walked in through an unlocked door and had told Dolezal’s son they were there to take care of a dog. At the time, Dolezal claimed that “two white adults broke into my home,” and she said the incident “scared my 13-year-old son to death.” But according to the police report, her son said that he wasn’t scared and that the couple merely “seemed confused.”

Between April and August 2009, HREI installed security cameras to monitor potential hate crimes at its office. But in November 2009, after Dolezal reported a ? sticker that had shown up on HREI’s door overnight, police found that the cameras hadn’t recorded the incident. Dolezal attributed the cameras’ failure to a power surge that had taken place a week earlier.

In June 2010, Dolezal told police that her brother had found a noose hanging from a carport behind her rented home. A week later, she repeated this account at a press conference. “There have been hate crimes in the past two years that have been directed toward me,” she told the assembled reporters. The owner of the home, when contacted by police, said he was nearly certain it was the same rope he had hung there a year earlier to string up a deer. The owner told police that after Dolezal filed her report, he had explained the situation to her. When the police left Dolezal a message to follow up, she didn’t call back. She now denies that the rope was there before she filed the report or that she was told that it had been used for a deer. She also claims that “my sons found the noose.”

This year, Dolezal told police she had received hate mail at the Spokane NAACP’s post office box. Nearly 200 people rallied outside the NAACP office to support her. But when police investigated the incident, they found that the envelope had no marks indicating that it gone through the mail. A postal inspector told police, “The only way this letter could have ended up in this P.O. box would be if it was placed there by someone with a key to that box or a USPS employee.” The three employees who managed the boxes said they didn’t remember seeing the envelope. The only other person with confirmed access to the box was Dolezal, who had a key.

The Easterner profile says that white supremacists once threatened to kidnap Dolezal’s son and that she reported this and other incidents to police. But despite requests from reporters for all police records related to Dolezal, no documents referring to such a claim have been produced. Kurt Neumaier, a former member of HREI’s oversight board whose job was to investigate human rights violations, concludes that in every incident Dolezal has alleged, “she was the sole witness to events that, when put under scrutiny, don’t hold up.”

It’s possible that one or more of these incidents occurred as Dolezal described them. Hate crimes are a real problem, and they shouldn’t be discounted just because police don’t always verify them. But the troubling pattern in Dolezal’s stories is that they don’t check out. Either the evidence contradicts her, or it doesn’t support her, or it’s her word against the word of somebody else, often somebody who is black or who has worked in the same human rights organizations.
    what i am referring to is the bold section there, which seems to have preceded the whole "turns out this lady is white" debacle. but add in the rope incident you mention and the rest and it seems like there's a theme here.
  • kingblaze84
    Dolezal’s bio at Eastern Washington University, where she has taught Africana Studies, says she and her children suffered “at least eight documented hate crimes” when she lived in Idaho. But police records show no such documentation, apart from Dolezal’s statements and characterizations. For instance, the Easterner profile, based on Dolezal’s account, says “white supremacy groups burglarized every home she and her son lived in.” But according to a police spokeswoman who heads the task force overseeing HREI, the sole burglary report filed by Dolezal, involving a washer that was stolen from a storage shed in 2008, yielded no information about suspects. The spokeswoman says Dolezal “never called back with any further info.”

Dolezal says a “violent hate group” may have been involved in a “home invasion” at her residence. But the only home intrusion she reported, in April 2009, involved a man and woman who had walked in through an unlocked door and had told Dolezal’s son they were there to take care of a dog. At the time, Dolezal claimed that “two white adults broke into my home,” and she said the incident “scared my 13-year-old son to death.” But according to the police report, her son said that he wasn’t scared and that the couple merely “seemed confused.”

Between April and August 2009, HREI installed security cameras to monitor potential hate crimes at its office. But in November 2009, after Dolezal reported a ? sticker that had shown up on HREI’s door overnight, police found that the cameras hadn’t recorded the incident. Dolezal attributed the cameras’ failure to a power surge that had taken place a week earlier.

In June 2010, Dolezal told police that her brother had found a noose hanging from a carport behind her rented home. A week later, she repeated this account at a press conference. “There have been hate crimes in the past two years that have been directed toward me,” she told the assembled reporters. The owner of the home, when contacted by police, said he was nearly certain it was the same rope he had hung there a year earlier to string up a deer. The owner told police that after Dolezal filed her report, he had explained the situation to her. When the police left Dolezal a message to follow up, she didn’t call back. She now denies that the rope was there before she filed the report or that she was told that it had been used for a deer. She also claims that “my sons found the noose.”

This year, Dolezal told police she had received hate mail at the Spokane NAACP’s post office box. Nearly 200 people rallied outside the NAACP office to support her. But when police investigated the incident, they found that the envelope had no marks indicating that it gone through the mail. A postal inspector told police, “The only way this letter could have ended up in this P.O. box would be if it was placed there by someone with a key to that box or a USPS employee.” The three employees who managed the boxes said they didn’t remember seeing the envelope. The only other person with confirmed access to the box was Dolezal, who had a key.

The Easterner profile says that white supremacists once threatened to kidnap Dolezal’s son and that she reported this and other incidents to police. But despite requests from reporters for all police records related to Dolezal, no documents referring to such a claim have been produced. Kurt Neumaier, a former member of HREI’s oversight board whose job was to investigate human rights violations, concludes that in every incident Dolezal has alleged, “she was the sole witness to events that, when put under scrutiny, don’t hold up.”

It’s possible that one or more of these incidents occurred as Dolezal described them. Hate crimes are a real problem, and they shouldn’t be discounted just because police don’t always verify them. But the troubling pattern in Dolezal’s stories is that they don’t check out. Either the evidence contradicts her, or it doesn’t support her, or it’s her word against the word of somebody else, often somebody who is black or who has worked in the same human rights organizations.
    what i am referring to is the bold section there, which seems to have preceded the whole "turns out this lady is white" debacle. but add in the rope incident you mention and the rest and it seems like there's a theme here.

She lied more then I realized smh.....those are fair points in her credibility being low. Pretty shameful.

If a more "normal" person wakes up to become transracial some day, I wonder if the media will support that movement as much as they do the transgender one.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited June 2015

She lied more then I realized smh.....those are fair points in her credibility being low. Pretty shameful.

If a more "normal" person wakes up to become transracial some day, I wonder if the media will support that movement as much as they do the transgender one.

What movement? There is no documented case outside of this insane ? that this is a movement. Nobody wakes up feeling black. There is no such thing. Trans-racial is a real word describing people that are directly affected by white privilege. It's generally assigned to children of different races being adopted by white people, but never actually fitting in because they aren't white.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2015

What movement? There is no documented case outside of this insane ? that this is a movement. Nobody wakes up feeling black. There is no such thing. Trans-racial is a real word describing people that are directly affected by white privilege. It's generally assigned to children of different races being adopted by white people, but never actually fitting in because they aren't white.

I agree with you, I thought it was a movement at one point because I saw several people on Twitter (Whites and other non-Blacks) saying they actually felt like like Rachel but it's not really a widespread thing, as I thought it would be.

Funny thing though is that there actually was a White guy who identified with being Black back in the 80s, he even ran for some kind of office and won. But these seem to be very isolated cases.....for now.
  • Jabu_Rule

I agree with you, I thought it was a movement at one point because I saw several people on Twitter (Whites and other non-Blacks) saying they actually felt like like Rachel but it's not really a widespread thing, as I thought it would be.

Funny thing though is that there actually was a White guy who identified with being Black back in the 80s, he even ran for some kind of office and won. But these seem to be very isolated cases.....for now.

He didn't "identify" with being black for the purpose of being black. It was a political game for him to win the seat because he couldn't win it as a white man. He figured, black folks would vote for a black man. So that makes him more like Rachel than you think. A fraud. Unfortunately, it did more to make blacks look foolish for not properly vetting who they were voting for or properly digging in to Rachel's past (even though it wasn't as necessary for either position if they can do the job). Crackers supporting her are trying to erase the black identity and it is one out of many tricks to dehumanize a people that they deem invalid.
  • janklow
    i don't think a "normal" person is going to act like she did. you can clearly be a white person and support black causes without it having to involve some weird claim of being transracial.
  • cyr0gen
    cyr0gen Members Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭
    Because the media has WAY too much influence on the general population. They also will talk about anything they know will entice strong opinions on either side and then milk it to their advantage.
  • kingblaze84
    cyr0gen wrote: »
    Because the media has WAY too much influence on the general population. They also will talk about anything they know will entice strong opinions on either side and then milk it to their advantage.

I hear VH1 is gonna make a Love and Hip-Hop show based around transgenders this or next year lol.....I won't watch it but my female friends say they can't wait to watch it. Seems big business is driving a lot of this too
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think both of them are ? up. Like bother just so preposterous. ? em both

Like you could just easily say to Bruce, "uh you have a ? and Y chromosome, you're not a woman"

You could say to dolezal, "uh all of your lineage descends from europe, you're not black"

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Because white America is more accepting of homosexuality than of Blackness

*Cue Zombie speech about the White man's innate faggotry*
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something is wrong with both of them psychologically.

i think her initial response of confusion and dodging the questions came off as funny.

We've never seen this happen before, have we? It's pretty crazy what she's pulled off.

We are used to seeing how people coming out as ? /transgendered is applauded because of how people usually view it. It's still somewhat of a taboo and people don't understand it and hate it.

To see someone that's "transracial" or whatever they're calling it, is new. So it's viewed as silly. its obviously something to do with the neurology of the person. I'm sure Racheal truly believes she should be black. She knows she isn't, which is why she was sketchy at first, but in later interviews, she claimed she was.

If someone can say they're ? , should be a man/woman, then they can say "I should be this race or that", but it's new and weird to most people right now. That's why it's a joke.