365 Day NO HEAT CHALLENGE!

Options
MistyKnight
MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ofcourse this may not be an issue with some ladies because you probably haven't had any heat on your hair since 2010 lol, but for me this is a challenge.

I had an epiphany two weeks ago and realized that my hair would've been down to my butt by now if I hadn't continued abusing my hair with heat (and coloring it). The hair that I colored (In August 2013) is GONE. It all fell out. I am back to having ? hair. But now I am stuck with 3-4 inches of heat damage. I continue this cycle and end up chopping my hair off and starting all over again.

Well not anymore.

I threw it all out. Hair dryer, flat iron, and any heat tool that I owned. (Wasn't expensive anyway).

Who wants to join me on this healthy hair journey?
I plan to do a mini-chop on the 3-4 inches of heat damaged hair on 03/18/2017.

Comments

• MistyKnight
    Options
    Styles that I plan to rock during this challenge:

Poetic Justice braids (ofcourse): poetic-justice-braids.png

Havana Twists/ Marlely Twists: maxresdefault.jpg (Btw I think this girl's skin is FLAWLESS! She is gorg!)

Kinky Clip ins with braid out/twist out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2-zg8C20c

High Buns: img_5269.jpg (I've been rocking this for the past two weeks lol... pure laziness)
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    I also plan to experiment with heatless curls using naptural85's bantu knot method so I can still get that "victoria secret"curl look without the damage :)

https://youtu.be/Hn_MbBB2WyQ
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'll think about doing this, totally giving up heat is HARD tho....
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    I
    taeboo wrote: »
    I'll think about doing this, totally giving up heat is HARD tho....

It is but thats what makes this a challenge!

I will start a mass PM so that we can continue to encourage eachother and give eachother tips and heatless hairstyle ideas :)

Whoever wants to join in let me know!
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heat never broke my hair off *shrug*
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    Heat never broke my hair off *shrug*

@Pico
    Heat didn't break my hair off, it was the coloring that did!

The type of heat damage that I have is where my curls are loosened. So I have 3C curls on the bottom of my hair and my regular 4a/4B curls at the root lol
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    any of yall had micro braids before? i'm thinkin of getting some this summer need some maintenance tips
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would say I use heat once maybe twice a month but that is probably more out of not wanting to do my hair than the health of it-just never liked having to blow dry, flat iron, then curl (my hair won't hold much of a curl anyway). I did do it a lot growing up tho.

I do relax although it gets farther and farther between, contemplating letting it grow out again but I hate the in between stages. I did braids recently as a protective/low maintenance style and loved them but hated the shedding I had when I took them down. Plus my hair texture doesn't hold the braid so I can't wear them long (even when not relaxed it wont)

My biggest problem is that I don't get it trimmed as much as I should so my ends are a mess. I think this is old fear from growing up when I would go for a trim and come up with a damn cut.

Currently my length is about to bra strap. I usually air dry and wrap at night.

Good luck to those that do the challenge w/ Kha and I would still enjoy any tips shared :)
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    I would say I use heat once maybe twice a month but that is probably more out of not wanting to do my hair than the health of it-just never liked having to blow dry, flat iron, then curl (my hair won't hold much of a curl anyway). I did do it a lot growing up tho.

I do relax although it gets farther and farther between, contemplating letting it grow out again but I hate the in between stages. I did braids recently as a protective/low maintenance style and loved them but hated the shedding I had when I took them down. Plus my hair texture doesn't hold the braid so I can't wear them long (even when not relaxed it wont)

My biggest problem is that I don't get it trimmed as much as I should so my ends are a mess. I think this is old fear from growing up when I would go for a trim and come up with a damn cut.

Currently my length is about to bra strap. I usually air dry and wrap at night.

Good luck to those that do the challenge w/ Kha and I would still enjoy any tips shared :)

@MissK
    I religiously used heat every two weeks like you and little by little my curls began to loosen :(

Heat is the devil for my hair.
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    any of yall had micro braids before? i'm thinkin of getting some this summer need some maintenance tips

I had them when i was a kid. Took 3 to 4 hours to install but they lasted a couple of months.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    @MissK @Khaleesi what state was your hair in before you got braids? I'm relaxed but should i let it grow out or is it fine to do em relaxed?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    yall should try the 365 no shampoo challenge
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    yall should try the 365 no shampoo challenge

Nah b. Not with all this shea butter I got in my hair lol.
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    @MissK @Khaleesi what state was your hair in before you got braids? I'm relaxed but should i let it grow out or is it fine to do em relaxed?

Since I was a kid when I had them, I'd say I was relaxed.

It's been over 15 years since I had them so I can't wait to get my braids done again.
  • gotdamkam
    gotdamkam Members Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    I also plan to experiment with heatless curls using naptural85's bantu knot method so I can still get that "victoria secret"curl look without the damage :)

My bantu knot out never comes out right. i have no Idea what Im doing wrong. I was going to do a keratin treatment but i think Im going to try this next weekend
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    gotdamkam wrote: »
    Khaleesi wrote: »

My bantu knot out never comes out right. i have no Idea what Im doing wrong. I was going to do a keratin treatment but i think Im going to try this next weekend

@gotdamkam
    Did you do the knots on stretched hair? And if you're natural I recommend avoiding the BKT.

I would recommend sticking to no-heat styles and also avoiding hair salons as they tend to be "heat happy" on those with textured hair. But if you MUST go to a hair salon then a simple wash and set with rollers would be ok.

Just make sure that when you come out of the hair dryer, you run to the cash register to pay or else they will pick up that flat iron and try to add more heat to your hair lol

• gotdamkam
    Options
    I did it with wet hair
    33vn8n8.jpg
    my hair is more manageable when wet
    with this
    1zmfaiw.jpg
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    I did it with wet hair
    33vn8n8.jpg
    my hair is more manageable when wet
    with this
    1zmfaiw.jpg

Using a setting lotion could help.
    And i think doing it on hair thats 90% dry helps instead of doing it on soaking wet hair.

Tshirt dry the hair for an hour and then do the knots.

I plan on doing a length check series soon.

We can share our healthy hair progress every month or so :)
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    @Khaleesi i've had regular braids but i'm not sure about micros. i heard your hair breaks off if you get it relaxed then get braids you're gonna wear for a long time.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey girl! Sorry just seeing this...
    Mine was relaxed but not newly relaxed, months of new growth so I did lose what I felt was a lot when I took them down but most of it was probably just normal shedding.
  • MistyKnight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Pico
    @atribecalledgabi
    @MissK
    @taeboo
    @SixSickSins
    @gotdamkam

Soooo..... I ended up doing my first official length check this morning (06/28/2015) & I decided that I will be doing one every 3 months :-)

Here are the results :-)
    Front bang: (I recently cut off about 3 inches a few weeks ago)
    21y541.jpg
    *Between my bottom lip and chin*

Front right side:
    jqnw2u.jpg

Front left side:
    2irover.jpg
    *An inch below my birthmark*

The crown of my hair:
    sq1mw5.jpg
    *Middle of my nose*

Back right side:
    2j35xkh.jpg
    *Right below my collar bone*

Back left side:
    jihoxe.jpg
    *Right below my collar bone*

What I was surprised to find out was that my hair is actually pretty even on both sides... especially after I had practically cut it with my eyes closed a few weeks prior lol.

Happy healthy growing everyone!

I hope you guys could share your length check progress too!
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    The only products that I currently use:

133792.jpg?s=False (I use this as needed... usually once a week when I do my wash)

EQYSSMEGATEK.png (I use this whenever I feel that my hair needs a little bit of a protein strengthening treatment....... usually if I see that it's falling out in clumps lol).. it stops shedding immediately... for me anyway.

41ig4GJJQEL._SY300_.jpg (For my edges)

DSCN0564.jpg The only shampoo and conditioner that I use. I co-wash whenever I feel that my hair is really dry.

and last but not least....

Front%20image_drinking-water.jpg (WATER!), I wet my hair everyday. Depending on the style that I am wearing, I would either spray it or wet my hair in the shower).

The best advice I received is to just listen to YOUR hair. Changing your regimen up a bit is sometimes necessary, especially for when our hair wanna act out and act brand new & shiet. lol

• gotdamkam
    Options
    Nice!!!do you do wash and gos? If so howdo you keep them up. I swear I tried that pineapple method and it does nothing for me. I just try to do as much low manipulation as possible.
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    Nice!!!do you do wash and gos? If so howdo you keep them up. I swear I tried that pineapple method and it does nothing for me. I just try to do as much low manipulation as possible.

@gotdamkam

Nah.. My curls are too many different patterns for wash & gos to even work with my hair.

I stick to braidouts and if im lazy I do twist outs... But my everyday go to look is my bun lol