EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Taps Ava DuVernay To Direct Black Panther

Options
13»

Comments

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvel always wants a lighthearted tone and comedic elements throughout all their movies. They also seem to be a little more rigid with directors working on their movies unlike DC who gives a little bit more leway. I wouldn't be surprised if DC approaches her at some point for talks with them.
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't be to mad at Marvel for trying to protect their creations. I wish they had thought about this before letting Sony and Fox have rights to Spidey, X-men and FF...
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    King of GA wrote: »
    Can't be to mad at Marvel for trying to protect their creations. I wish they had thought about this before letting Sony and Fox have rights to Spidey, X-men and FF...

they were trying to not go bankrupt and not have to sell everything to DC.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At the end of the day Marvel is owned by Disney. That alone should tell you what type of leeway these directors have.

If you not appealing to the masses then its F you and your vision because they are about making money.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    wasnt he involved in the cartoon a while back
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall have to realize marvel is being careful with Black Panther

He is their first black hero, the first POC hero who will get a solo, and the whites hates his name because well yall know why.

They want to be able to be loyal to the heroes mythos, while selling tickets and not offending Blacks or Whites.

they want the $$$$
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Black panther will actually sell. There isn't no whites hating that ? cuz most of these comic book nerds are white and want to see a movie about him even though they are a minority
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Gotta respect that decision
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew it.

Maybe Marvel finds a good director and the movie turns out great, but if that quote is truthful, Marvel lost.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no they didnt

"Last line is most important. She wanted an AVA film, Marvel wants a MARVEL film, and they couldn't come up with something in the middle. So, glad this just happened now and not in the middle of production. I want a MARVEL black panther film too....

On to the next one..."

a view i agree with
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on what you care about when you watch movies.

Marvel only has 2, maybe 3, movies that actually mean something outside of being a big budget action/comedy film. I like movies with underlying statements the way The Winter Soldier delivered.

Time will tell what kind of Black Panther movie Marvel wants. When that day comes, we'll see how deep or shallow it is. That's why I said IF her statement was truthful, Marvel lost. By the same token, she could be full of ? .
  • earth two superman
    Options

Marvel only has 2, maybe 3, movies that actually mean something outside of being a big budget action/comedy film. I like movies with underlying statements the way The Winter Soldier delivered.

Time will tell what kind of Black Panther movie Marvel wants. When that day comes, we'll see how deep or shallow it is. That's why I said IF her statement was truthful, Marvel lost. By the same token, she could be full of ? .

cap 1
    cap 2
    iron man 3?

Idk, i dont see Marvel trying that hard to have some big underlying message like, say Nolan put into the Dark Knight, with themes of terrorism, hostage capturing and government spying.

damn when you think about it Batman was kinda George W bush.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

cap 1
    cap 2
    iron man 3?

Idk, i dont see Marvel trying that hard to have some big underlying message like, say Nolan put into the Dark Knight, with themes of terrorism, hostage capturing and government spying.

The Dark Knight trilogy were definitely reflections of society at the time - you already summed up TDK as a reflection of Bush-era, Republican ran society, and TDKR was more of the hangover/Obama-era with the failure of economic institutions and social inequality, echoes of Occupy Wall Street, French Revolution (A Tale of Two Cities being an influence), etc.

Nolan is an intelligent film maker though with a lot of persuasive influence and will go that far to try and add further context and themes into his films. Marvel just want to make money - getting a black woman to direct a Black Panther film is good PR but Marvel couldn't give a ? about a director's vision unless it matches their own. They have a set template for how their films are produced and want to stick with it.
  • earth two superman
    Options

cap 1
    cap 2
    iron man 3?

The Dark Knight trilogy were definitely reflections of society at the time - you already summed up TDK as a reflection of Bush-era, Republican ran society, and TDKR was more of the hangover/Obama-era with the failure of economic institutions and social inequality, echoes of Occupy Wall Street, French Revolution (A Tale of Two Cities being an influence), etc.

Nolan is an intelligent film maker though with a lot of persuasive influence and will go that far to try and add further context and themes into his films. Marvel just want to make money - getting a black woman to direct a Black Panther film is good PR but Marvel couldn't give a ? about a director's vision unless it matches their own. They have a set template for how their films are produced and want to stick with it.

didnt even think about that. wow
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options