NBA draft Future Stars, sleepers, busts

Options
Neophyte Wolfgang
Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the draft and many other coming up, but let's focus on this one who you got as a
Future Star/High ceiling
Sleepers/under the radar/overachiever
Busts....

Still thinking about the superstar part and sleepers.

With bust I am going with a top 5 player......and I will probably get flack from Coop cause ESPN and Stephan A Smith tells his different, but my pick for biggest bust in this years draft will be......JAHLIL OKAFOR. Hooping on the westside of chicago in high school and community college and on the streets. I know hoopers that would twist his ankles like a pretzel

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I give zero ? what ESPN, Stephen A., or any other analyst says. I've seen with my own eyes for years. Okafor won't be a bust, his defense has to improve though.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think justice winslow is going to be a problem in this league
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that college 3 pt line makes it very crowded in the paint -- no spacing at all -- i heard his pops in an interivew say that was the reason why okafor faced up so much and came off passive and willing to defer at times -- he is very cerebral and always trying to make the right play -- i think he could have done a better job of battling for positioning but one thing is for sure his passing skills will be huge on the next level

i think he will be fine offensively

defensively though smh man i just watched a year of bulls basketball with pau gasol as the defensive anchor so id be kinda shook of okafor holding me down -- being a good low post defender isnt as important anymore being able to defend in space and protect the rim matters way more -- he definitely has the physical tools which makes it weirder to me how hes generally awful at things that involve not allowing the opponent to score -- the wingspan is there, the footwork, the strength as well as the basketball IQ

if the lakers draft him just fire scott and hire thibs -- thibs would get him to commit defensively one way or another and would even be a good fit for how thibs wants to play on O
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my bust is mudiay

i thought he was gonna be in the realm of russ from an atheltic standpoint the way they were talking about him -- hes not -- i expected him to jump out more in the videos i seen him in especially considering who he was playing with -- hes a good athlete though

from what i read hes a good passer in PnR but i dont see how hes gonna take advantage of that on the nba level if he cant shoot -- defenses have gotten smarter with that -- he can get better but what ? me up is how he shoots like okafor from the ft line and i dont know how often someone shoots 50% from the ft line that turns into a good shooter
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think Okafor will be anything better than solid.

He'll be Roy Hibbert maybe with slightly better numbers if he works on his offensive game.

They're around the same size and remind me a lot of one another game wise.

I don't think he'll develop into anything more than that of course I could be wrong.

D'Angelo Russell could be the best player in the draft.

Karl Anthony Towns is the safe pick.

I think Justice Winslow has the potential to be nice I could eventually see him developing into a Jimmy Butler type player but I think his game would have benefited from another year in school.
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I don't think Okafor will be anything better than solid.

He'll be Roy Hibbert maybe with slightly better numbers if he works on his offensive game.

They're around the same size and remind me a lot of one another game wise.

I don't think he'll develop into anything more than that of course I could be wrong.

D'Angelo Russell could be the best player in the draft.

Karl Anthony Towns is the safe pick.

I think Justice Winslow has the potential to be nice I could eventually see him developing into a Jimmy Butler type player but I think his game would have benefited from another year in school.

What...the...? ? You dude's really don't watch these guys play. If Okafor doesn't turn into a 25-10 guy, I'd be surprised.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol dude compared him to Roy Hibbert.
  • Crude_
    Options
    Okafor is big slow, has no offensive moves, and not very athletic.

I watched quite a few games with him at Duke and didn't see him as some once in a lifetime type player.

Similar low post guys like Shaq and AD looked much more impressive coming out of college yea I know AD is power forward.

Not saying that ? won't be a decent player but other than AD, Boogie, and LaMarcus Aldridge I don't believe there were any other post guys that averaged anywhere near close to 25 and 10 and you cats acting like Okafor a shoe to be in the company of the aforementioned I say not so fast guys.

We'll see where he's at 3-4 seasons from now it generally takes big guys longer to adjust to the speed and rhythm of the pro game but his skill set does not impress me.

Not saying he eventually won't be a solid player but nah I don't buy everything that ESPN tells me either that ? has a lot of work to do if he wants to be an elite big man in the league.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Funny in Chicago lots of people in to sports and from the area think he will be a bust. When I mean bust....I want to clairfy he will be solid like Crude is saying......he is not made from the same cloth of a pre injured derrick rose or anthony davis. He reminds me of a poor mans tim duncan
  • Crude_
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Funny in Chicago lots of people in to sports and from the area think he will be a bust. When I mean bust....I want to clairfy he will be solid like Crude is saying......he is not made from the same cloth of a pre injured derrick rose or anthony davis. He reminds me of a poor mans tim duncan

Agreed.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not big on Russell. I think he'll be a solid combo guard. Kinda guy that get you some scoring off the bench but that's about it.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

Being labeled a poor mans tim duncan is a good look and I've never heard a single soul in chicago say okafor will be a bust.

Lol @ davis and rose both them ? frail and injury prone add wade to the mix and the southside produces nothin but talented wimps who stay hurt
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Rose was youngest MVP and a beast before he got injured and came back nicely in the playoffs, Davis might be the 3rd best player in the league now and might be the best player in the league in a few years. And Wade has 3 rings and a first ballot HOF. now ? and go get yourself a latte up north
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    I knew Okafor would drop, bad pick by the 76ers they already have 2 bigs