"African"-American female “flagger” says Confederate flag isn’t about race:“Slavery was a choice”

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/30/african_american_flagger_says_confederate_flag_isnt_about_race_slavery_was_a_choice/
African-American “flagger” says Confederate flag isn’t about race: “Slavery was a choice”

A member of the group known as “The Virginia Flaggers” — who claim as their “weapon…the Confederate Battle Flag” and their “enemies…those who worship ignorance, historical revisionism and Political Correctness” — declared in a recent interview that despite being black herself, she believes the Confederate battle flag “represents freedom.”

In the interview — which is part of an ongoing documentary project about the meaning of the Confederate battle flag — Karen Cooper claimed that she was raised in the North as a member of the Nation of Islam, but “felt more welcome in the South” where, she said, “the races are more together.”

She said that she was introduced to the “flagger” movement by friends of hers in the Tea Party on Facebook. “Most of the people in the Tea Party had Confederate ancestors,” she added as if most people would be surprised to learn that.

“I know what people think about when they see the battle flag — the KKK, racism, bringing slavery back — so I knew it would be something for people to see a black woman with the battle flag.”

Cooper insisted that she’s not “advocating slavery,” because she isn’t. Moreover, slavery “wasn’t just something that happened in the South, it happened worldwide.”

She added that she believes “slavery was a choice, because of what Patrick Henry said, ‘Give me liberty, or give me death.’” Slaves, she argued — in a serious manner, unlike Eddie Izzard’s famous “Cake or Death?” routine — should have opted for “death.”

Given that she just declared “death” the only viable response to slavery, it is somewhat odd that she then referred to herself as a “slave of the federal government,” saying that “I can’t smoke what I want to smoke, I can’t drink what I want to drink. If I want to put something into my body, it’s my body — not theirs. That’s tyranny!”

And yet, for reasons that Cooper can’t seem to understand, “it’s only Southerners and the battle flag that has all the weight and guilt on it,” and “it’s not right — [the flag] represents freedom, it represents a people that stood up to tyranny, and by me being out there I hope you can see this is not racist.”

Cooper said she wanted to convince people that the Confederate battle flag isn’t about race — and that foregrounding her status as a black flagger is the most effective way to do that.

giphy.gif

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your a ? traitor who deserves a cell n Guantanamo. ? you, ? the culture and people who fought and died for that flag.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Just a confused black woman

Nothing to see here folks.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post a pictures of this ?
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? will do whatever they can do be accepted by Whites. ? ? after cave ? , feel like they have to hang around whites, change up their inflection in their voices to fit in, and still are ? in their eyes. I wish she wasn't black. We don't need anymore ? adding to the issues we already face
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    ? damn. These are the type of ? that make me hate more than whites
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol confedrate battle flag wasn;t even risen in most areas of the south until the civil rights movement took off and racist whites wanted to rebel good ol boys
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree with nothing she said

But that "give me liberty or give me death" ? is too real, I never understood the "go along to get along" slave mentality ?
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I she what she trying to say about the choice the but when she says she feels like a slave she's says she doesn't know how to get freedom from the government. Just let Africans couldn't leave because it was no where to go they were surrounded by white with guns and they had no support to fight back. They same problem we face yesteryear is the same problem we face today. I don't think black people are scare to got to war. We just not dumb to fight a battle that we're not prepared for.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's from NY

NYNY
    NYNY
    NYNY
    NYNY
    NYNY
    NYNY
    NYNY
    NYNYNYNYNYNYNY
    NYNYNYNYNYNYNY

she's black...
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This broad just wants acceptance. She was in the Nation of Islam before these shannagans !
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why does ? keep making these ? ?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No diss, but why even post this stupid ? thoughts on the IC?? We already know its an abundance of ? out here, no need to give them more attention.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't Confederate flaggers celebrate people like Nat Turner and John Brown? Surely their cause was noble and deserved praise
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't Confederate flaggers celebrate people like Nat Turner and John Brown? Surely their cause was noble and deserved praise

LOL, the racists will have a hard time answering this.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She from NY, she tryna restore that feeling.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And she used to be with the Nation Of Islam. SMH The Willie Lynch plan in full effect on her. Just wow.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It probably speaks volumes of what NOI can do to people. They aren't exactly sweethearts.
  • kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fox news & other ? related ? should be banned here!!! I'm tired of these muthafuckas speaking on our culture & people like we nothin