NYC ? detective unlawfully stops a Blk man takes his ID,Then starts to swing on him when asks why

Options

Comments

• yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cop was tryn get him a KO in front of ms officer
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's just a few bad crops
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just saw this ? this morning...
    between this and grading papers on policing... I'm ? ... think I'll write a paper about the myth of the "hero cop'...

Yeaaa that will show THEM!

Show who what?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

.... and all the rest are worse.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

... that get caught.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cop was tryn get him a KO in front of ms officer

I think hes showing for the ? .

• Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need to see what happened before the parrot started filming, for all we know the officer could have read him his rights for the knife, it looks like the guy was resisting arrest, the cop was trying to cuff him he even said "let me do my job" but still the guy resisted, cop got ? off and took a swing, he prob felt embarrassed that the bigger guy was controling the situation, cop did him a favour not pulling his gun out, that women officer needs to find a new career.

Why don't you slink your neanderthal ass back to the Caucasus mountains from whence you came?
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see why them undercover or detectives are ? with the small ? .... they should have just hit up some uniforms and let them handle this

If dude was really a suspect, they would have swarmed right off the jump

smh at the chick just standing there ..... equal pay for that ...yeah okay
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk man once homie threw up his guns ( fists) and saw he didnt get shot, tased or pepper sprayed...he should ve made a movie on that officers face
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    We need to see what happened before the parrot started filming, for all we know the officer could have read him his rights for the knife, it looks like the guy was resisting arrest, the cop was trying to cuff him he even said "let me do my job" but still the guy resisted, cop got ? off and took a swing, he prob felt embarrassed that the bigger guy was controling the situation, cop did him a favour not pulling his gun out, that women officer needs to find a new career.

Why don't you slink your neanderthal ass back to the Caucasus mountains from whence you came?

What part of what I wrote hurt you the most?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    wheres all the if you comply with police they will respect you posters at ?

@A Talented One

Complying can save you your life. But it doesn't guarantee that they will not abuse their power by any means.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone know where we can follow up on this?
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://7online.com/news/investigation-after-video-shows-nypd-officer-boxing-with-suspect-in-harlem/824727/
    Investigation underway after video shows NYPD officer boxing with suspect in Harlem

The NYPD is investigating a videotaped confrontation between an officer and a suspect on the street, with authorities attempting to determine whether the use of force was justified.

Saykou George and his friend Jun Ice were walking along Frederick Douglas Boulevard near 131st Street in Harlem Wednesday afternoon when they were stopped by police. Jun Ice said something didn't feel right, so he started recording on his cell phone.

The 30-year-old George is seen in the video getting his wallet out for police, but within seconds, it escalated to pushing and shoving as George tried to walk away after the officer took his license and got out his handcuffs.

The officer punched George while his female partner called for backup, then the men seemingly started boxing, circling one another and throwing punches.

Minutes later, responding officers showed up and tackled the man to the ground.

"The cops instigated the whole situation," Jun Ice said. "We weren't arguing, we weren't fighting, we were just walking home. There was no reason for them to stop us."

Police say officers initially stopped George because they noticed he had a knife clipped to his pants pocket. Commissioner William Bratton said Internal Affairs is looking into the details surrounding the stop and arrest.

"My preliminary review, I saw nothing inappropriate with the officers' behavior," he said. "We will look at the partner, what she was doing during this process, and the responding officers, as we always do."

PBA president Pat Lynch released the following statement:

"This is a textbook example of an individual who was spotted with a weapon resisting arrest, attempting to walk away and the two police officers involved doing exactly what they must do to take the man into custody. Given the current atmosphere on the streets today, people mistakenly think that they have the right to resist arrest and that inevitably leads to confrontation and potential injury. The use of force in making an arrest is always ugly but is absolutely necessary and appropriate when the suspect resists. These two officers did their job, they did it appropriately and they are to be commended for a job well done."

But family members, including the suspect's mother, grandmother and cousin, told Eyewitness News this is clearly a case of police brutality.

"I watched the video," cousin Roosevelt Taylor said. "He didn't make a call to dispatch or say what he was stopped for. You're not telling me, I'm under arrest, but you pull out hand cuffs and tell me I have to go in the back of your car for what reason?"

Police expert and John Jay College Professor Maki Haverfeld reviewed the video.

"I think the police officers actually showed a lot of restraint," he said. "They didn't reach out for any impact techniques or tools."

George was released on his own recognizance following his arraignment on felony assault, obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest and possession of a knife worn outside of clothing.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Video-Man-Resists-Arrest-Punched-Cop-Plainclothes-NYPD-Officer-Harlem-New-York-City-311500531.html#
    Video Shows Man Getting Punched by Cop After Resisting Arrest in Harlem | NBC New York

The NYPD says it's investigating a video showing a man getting arrested after a knockout fight with a plainclothes officer Wednesday night.

The video circulating on Facebook, which had more than 1 million views by the next day, shows the arrest near 131st Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard in Harlem. The man's friend, who shot the video on his phone, told NBC 4 New York they were leaving a pizza place down the street to go to the man's apartment when he was stopped by plainclothes officers.

One of the officers asks the man, Saykour George, for his ID, the video shows. The NYPD said later police saw that George had a knife, prompting the stop.

Jun Iceaa, the friend who shot the video, said George had small pocketknife in his pocket, but "the way [the officer] really approached us, was like he really had a grudge against my man, like he know him from somewhere," he said.

The video shows police attempting to take George into custody, and he refuses.

"I'm just trying to do my job," the officer says, taking out his handcuffs and telling George they can talk further in the police car.

"I'm letting you do your job," George says. When the officer says, "No, you're not," George says, "Y'all not arresting me for nothing. No, no, no," and he begins walking away.

The officer tries to stop George from walking away, and both move to travel a few steps and then the officer pushes George back. George then pushes the officer, and that's when the officer starts swinging. The two square off, and more police arrive and get George on the ground.

"The officer did not say, 'You are under arrest,'" said Iceaa.

"The officer swung at him how many times before my man swung?" said Iceaa. "You have to defend yourself if you know you're not under arrest."

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton told NBC 4 New York Thursday he'd seen the video. He reminded New Yorkers that "you have no right under the law of New York to resist arrest," and that's what it appears George was doing.

He said, "The initial encounter -- the individual, all he had to do was surrender, and then we would not have had an encounter. So he didn't surrender, he now has additional charges against him. We'll process it through the courts."

Bratton said that in a preliminary review of the video, he "saw nothing inappropriate" with the officers' behavior, but that internal affairs is investigating.

Private security consultant Manny Gomez agreed.

"I don't see anything wrong with this video," he told NBC 4 New York. "He was belligerent, resisted arrest and he was in the wrong, period."

Watching the video, Gomez said it appears officers used minimum force to avoid close contact and to stop George from leaving.

"He used the bladed stance to keep his weapon away from the subject, and that's for his safety," he said.

George is facing several charges, including assault on an officer, possession of a weapon and disorderly conduct. Attorney information wasn't immediately clear.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://gothamist.com/2015/07/02/harlem_boxing_police.php
    Another witness wrote this:

I seen them shut the doors of the ambulance in his mothers face then pushed her away from the ambulance before they drove away. That's the ? that hurt me more than anything! so please at least have the decency to say something that will inspire people or education them when dealing with situations like this.. other than showing them how organize angry people can be. my prayers go out to everyone's family.. my family.
  • bununs alias
    bununs alias Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Like Water
    Options

None. But you being a white ? in the UK, who still has the audacity to project his undying obedience and white privileged encounters for the police on a predominantly black forum board, is slightly irritating.

Don't worry about us over here. Your police don't even carry guns like that and they wear stupid hats. The fact that they don't go around murking muthafuckas unjustly on a daily basis is a good thing, but it also means that you have no idea how ? works over here. So ? , and you might learn something.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The commissioner says nothing about the officer reading dude his rights though..........
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Cop thinks it's South Africa during Apartheid. It's disgusting when it's one of your own committing atrocities like this with no justification at all.

Spread the video everywhere. Post on your grams, twiiters, and Facebook. I refuse to let this cop get away with this.
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

None. But you being a white ? in the UK, who still has the audacity to project his undying obedience and white privileged encounters for the police on a predominantly black forum board, is slightly irritating.

Don't worry about us over here. Your police don't even carry guns like that and they wear stupid hats. The fact that they don't go around murking muthafuckas unjustly on a daily basis is a good thing, but it also means that you have no idea how ? works over here. So ? , and you might learn something.

Some officers over here do carry guns and some even let the power go to their head and victimise people just like any where else in the world, this is the problem with some americans you seem to think america is the only place with these issues, face facts ? that man was resisting arrest I don't need to be black and living in america to see that, this one time a cop busted my friends head open and he never did ? wrong, and guess what? he was white, now flag me if it makes you feel better.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    A treating a grown ass man like an animal is all I see. Bottom line.
  • Like Water
    Options

Some officers over here do carry guns and some even let the power go to their head and victimise people just like any where else in the world, this is the problem with some americans you seem to think america is the only place with these issues, face facts ? that man was resisting arrest I don't need to be black and living in america to see that, this one time a cop busted my friends head open and he never did ? wrong, and guess what? he was white, now flag me if it makes you feel better.

It was unlawful, you ? idiot. And the way he went about the entire situation was unprofessional as ? . You don't pocket someone's ID and not give them the reason why. He never even formally placed him under arrest, nor did he Mirandize him.

Not to mention, the arresting officer is black himself, and therefore should be cognizant of the current climate and handle himself accordingly.

See? All that barking you doing and you can't even see the obviousness of the injustice here. Smh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You pasty-faced edomites can never see the forest for the trees.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So no one s gonna mention that this took place towards the end of the month.....QUOTAS!
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

I don`t know what to say about this. I don't know the whole situation and it's possible that you have a point but I don't think it was justified. He took his ID and didn't explain why he was searching or arresting him. I don't know if that's legal. He didn't try to put him in cuffs by force, he actually swung at him. He threw punches at someone who was non-violently trying to avoid him. Whether or not you're 'allowed' to resist an arrest, you're hitting someone who hasn't shown himself to be a threat to you. This itself might not be a point but I can't see him doing that to a woman or even someone as scrawny as me (if he did, it would look all the worse to most people). I just can't see it being police protocol to punch someone who's nervously trying to walk away in their face. It looked like he had the chance after one of his blows and he didn't even attempt it (if I'm remembering right). In my opinion, he should have explained why he was being searched and placed under arrest (which he might have) and then he and his partner should have tried to restrain him and force him into cuffs (assuming the arrest was justified to begin with) and if he fought back, then maybe he'd have been justified in 'defending' himself and using force to place him in handcuffs but not starting with punches like some planned schoolyard fight. He looked more like a boxer than a cop, the way he was actually getting ready to punch someone who was avoiding him in their face.

I agreed with the rest of your post. (Some) police abuse their authority everywhere and it isn't always racially motivated.
    cop got ? off and took a swing, he prob felt embarrassed that the bigger guy was controling the situation,

That's not professional.

Edit : I don't know why some people think that you have a moral obligation to submit to a wrongful arrest (or even obey all laws, for that matter).