past census shows how some latinos label themselves

jennifer.bush*
jennifer.bush* Members Posts: 551
edited July 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
http://www.census.gov/? /2010pubs/acs-11.pdf

US Survey

Mexicans who say
White: 53%
Other: 45%
Amerindian: 0.7%
black: 0.2%

Cubans who say
White: 87%
Other: 9.2%
Black: 2.5%

Dominicans who say
Other: 61.9%
White: 25.3%
Black: 8.3%
Amerindian: .3% Asian .4%

for the latinos,what did u put?

i out human as race

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Lol @ 8 percent.. Domincans.
  • Based GAWD
    Based GAWD Members Posts: 1,168
    edited July 2010
    I put I look like Hannah Montana
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Lol @ 8 percent.. Domincans.

thats obviously the minority standpoint
    the 62% got it right
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited July 2010
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    thats obviously the minority standpoint
    the 62% got it right

basically, but it should have been more that 61%
  • the_underground
    the_underground Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Most Dominicans have African heritage. Lol at a lot of people ashamed to be ? when they adopted ways of dressing, speaking, and acting in ways that are inspired by Black people. But there's a lot of race issues in the Dominican Republic that create the stigma against people calling themselves Black.
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010
    SMH for the past census on Mexicans. Most of them come from mixed heritage, leaning more towards Indian. Just goes to show you that white supremacy and the message of white privilege are spread throughout the world.
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited July 2010
    Most Dominicans have African heritage. Lol at a lot of people ashamed to be ? when they adopted ways of dressing, speaking, and acting in ways that are inspired by Black people. But there's a lot of race issues in the Dominican Republic that create the stigma against people calling themselves Black.

point?...........
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    LMAO@25% of mexicans view themselves as "white" when whites are clearly trying to run them out of the united states. SUCKAZ
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010
    point?...........

You should be smart enough know my point.
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited July 2010
    if i knew i wouldn't have wasted my time asking Sir
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010

yeah but the one drop rule isn't really applicable.
    does dominican culture have some ties to some africans? yeah, is that small percentage of our cultural history stronger than the other majority of the mix? hell no.
    as you can see the majority correctly put other because we are indeed something else

skin tone =/= race
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010

Im sure this is true.
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010
    if i knew i wouldn't have wasted my time asking Sir

Maybe you're not as smart as you think, then.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    does dominican culture have some ties to some africans? yeah, is that small percentage of our cultural history stronger than the other majority of the mix? hell no.
    as you can see the majority correctly put other because we are indeed something else

skin tone =/= race

And 25% said White.
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010

skin tone =/= race

I'm not talking about a one drop rule. Most of the Indian population died out after Columbus was through with them. The majority of people on that island were Black. Most of the Dominicans are of African blood, researching the history. I know how much that "bothers" people to think that their ancestors were mostly ? , but history doesn't lie.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited July 2010
    Skin tone =/= race but at the same time, religion =/= race. Anti-semitism is not racism...(I know that's not related to the thread at all)
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010

skin tone =/= race

What does equal race?
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited July 2010

:(....................
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010

Oooooooooo
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Not the Mexicans, who look like White people. They aren't trying to run them out.

As a matter of fact, it's just like how Whites extend preferential-treatment to light-skinned Blacks...same concept here...

Those Caucasian-looking Mex are the ones America go out of their way to give preferential-treatment, since 2004...

I concur...
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited July 2010

skin tone =/= race

stop playing Dominicans are well known to be the biggest uncle toms in the western hemisphere as far as the majority is concerned. ironically, they share lineage and an island with the most rebellious and courageous blacks in the western hemisphere. it's definitely a catch 22 when it comes to Hispaniola.
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited July 2010
    stop playing Dominicans are well known to be the biggest uncle toms in the western hemisphere as far as the majority is concerned. ironically, they share lineage and an island with the most rebellious and courageous blacks in the western hemisphere. it's definitely a catch 22 when it comes to Hispaniola.

smh, typical
  • musicology1985
    edited July 2010
    smh, typical

this is historical fact. it's Spain over everything to them black folks over there when it comes to loyalty and admiration for the most part. although genetically & culturally they are predominately a west African people, just like everyone else in the Greater and Lessor Antilles.
  • jennifer.bush*
    edited July 2010
    um no, dominicans are mixed so the whole d.n.a thing is silly....African influences r in our culture, food, and music as well as paintings in the city. u are not being honest Sir

Spain used to rule D.R so it;s not shocking their influence is perhaps greater but its not like dominicans rep spain come on
  • musicology1985
    edited July 2010
    um no, dominicans are mixed so the whole d.n.a thing is silly....African influences r in our culture, food, and music as well as paintings in the city. u are not being honest Sir

Spain used to rule D.R so it;s not shocking their influence is perhaps greater but its not like dominicans rep spain come on

u Dominican? y'all uncle toms need to quit playin'

Wikipedia:
    Continent or region Country population Afro-descendants Black and black-mixed population

Dominican Republic 9,650,054 total pop. 84% Afro Descent 8,106,054

Japanese Medical Study (remember, many native Caribs who were here already had various shades of brown and coarse hair while others were mixed with Moorish & Malian navigators):

Atsushi Tajima1, Kazuyuki Hamaguchi2, Hideo Terao3, Ayako Oribe2, Victor M. Perrotta4, Carlos Amoros Baez4, Jose R. Arias5, Hironobu Yoshimatsu2, Toshiie Sakata6 and Satoshi Horai1 Contact Information
    (1) Department of Biosystems Science, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies (Sokendai), Hayama, Kanagawa 240-0193, Japan
    (2) Department of Internal Medicine I, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, Oita, Japan
    (3) Department of Health Science Center, Oita University, Oita, Japan
    (4) Instituto Nacional de Diabetes, Endocrinología y Nutrición (INDEN), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    (5) Centro de Gastroenterologia, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    (6) Graduate School of Health and Nutritional Sciences, Nakamura Gakuen University, Fukuoka, Japan

Received: 2 April 2004 Accepted: 18 June 2004 Published online: 5 August 2004
    Abstract People in the Dominican Republic are considered to be genetically heterogeneous owing to the post-Colombian admixture of Native American, African, and European populations. To characterize their genetic background, nucleotide sequences of the D-loop region of human mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) were examined in 33 healthy women and 50 gender-matched patients with obese type 2 diabetes (OD) from the Dominican Republic. Phylogenetic analysis of 198 mtDNA lineages including Native Americans, Africans, and Europeans enabled us to assess relative genetic contributions of the three ancestral fractions to the two groups in the Dominican Republic. In the OD group, the majority (64.0%) of the mtDNA lineages were from African ancestry, whereas the Native American fraction was predominant (51.5%) in the healthy group, with both showing smallest amounts (14.0% and 9.1%, respectively) of European contribution. This difference in maternal genetic background between the two groups was similarly demonstrated by phylogenetic analysis at the population level based on net nucleotide diversities between populations. These findings may imply ethnic-specific predisposition to OD, a possible association of an unidentified factor from African ancestry with OD in the Dominican Republic population.