Video:Disturbing vid of Gardena,CA pigs killing a Latino man in cold blood after he removes his hat.

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-federal-judge-orders-release-of-videos-20150714-story.html?14369191098620
Videos of Gardena police shooting of unarmed men are made public - LA Times

Videos that the city of Gardena fought to keep secret show police officers fatally shooting a man who appeared confused at their orders and did not appear to pose an immediate threat. Police wounded a second man.

A federal judge on Tuesday ordered the release of the videos, saying the public had an interest in seeing the recordings after the city settled a lawsuit over the shooting for $4.7 million.

The dash cam videos show two perspectives of the incident. Both show police ordering the men to raise their hands. One of men keeps his hands raised throughout. The other lowers and raises them several times, at one point removing his cap. The officers respond by opening fire.

U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson's decision came a day after he said that records could only be kept under seal in federal court in extreme cases.

Wilson rejected arguments by the city of Gardena seeking to keep the recordings under seal. The city claimed that it had settled a civil rights lawsuit over the shooting in the belief that the videos would remain under seal.

"However, [the] defendants' argument backfires here -- the fact that they spent the city's money, presumably derived from taxes, only strengthens the public's interest in seeing the videos," Wilson wrote. "Moreover, while the videos are potentially upsetting and disturbing because of the events they depict, they are not overly gory or graphic in a way that would make them a vehicle for improper purposes."

Wilson ruled in favor of a request from the Los Angeles Times, the Associated Press and Bloomberg to publicly release the police cruiser videos that captured the shooting.

The decision comes as law enforcement agencies nationwide are increasingly embracing the use of officer body cameras and dashboard cameras to record police interactions with civilians. But few agencies are making that footage public, spurring a debate over the need to balance the privacy of those captured on the recordings and transparency in policing.

Cameras mounted inside the police patrol cars recorded parts of the June 2, 2013, fatal shooting of Ricardo Diaz Zeferino, who was struck by eight bullets. Another man, Eutiquio Acevedo Mendez, was wounded.

The city of Gardena filed the videos under seal in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by Acevedo Mendez and relatives of Diaz Zeferino.

“While it’s certainly unpleasant,’ Wilson said of the videos, "it isn’t that gory.”

Attorneys representing the plaintiffs argued that the recordings show that officers opened fire even though it was clear the men were unarmed. The city disagreed, saying officers couldn't see one of Diaz Zeferino's hands and believed he was going to reach for a weapon.

The city recently settled the lawsuit, but Gardena officials have fought to prevent the videos from becoming public. Organizations representing law enforcement leaders across California submitted court papers supporting Gardena’s efforts to keep the records sealed.

The city argued that it had agreed to the legal settlement in part to keep the video from becoming public. Gardena also contended that releasing the video would deter police from using such cameras and would endanger the safety of the officers at a time of heightened public criticism of police killings.

The shooting occurred after police responded to a call about a bicycle stolen from outside a CVS drugstore on Western Avenue. A police dispatcher mistakenly told officers that the crime was a robbery, which usually involves a theft using weapons or force, and officers headed to the area in search of two suspects. Sgt. Christopher Cuff saw two men riding bicycles east on Redondo Beach Boulevard.

The men were friends of the bike theft victim and were searching for the missing bicycle. Mistaking them for the thieves, Cuff ordered the men to stop and put their hands up, according to a district attorney's memo written by a prosecutor who reviewed the police videos. Diaz-Zeferino, whose brother owned the stolen bicycle, ran up to his friends as they stood before the police car.

A police cruiser video captured him yelling at the sergeant, who screamed in English and Spanish for Diaz Zeferino to stop advancing, the district attorney's memo said. Diaz Zeferino raised his hands, pounded his chest with both hands and said something that was inaudible, the memo said.

One of his friends later told investigators that Diaz Zeferino was explaining that police had stopped the wrong people. Two more police cars arrived, and three officers emerged with guns drawn.

The patrol car video showed Diaz Zeferino dropping his hands and reaching to his right waistband or rear right pocket and making a tossing motion, dropping an object on the ground, the district attorney's memo said. He raised his hands, then repeated the move and removed something from his left rear pocket, the memo said.

“You do it again, you're going to get shot,” yelled an officer on the video, according to the memo. Diaz Zeferino removed his baseball hat and lowered his hands.

As he began to raise his hands again, three of the officers opened fire, the district attorney's memo said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teqn_8tu5D4

Comments

• BlackWomanIsGod
    BlackWomanIsGod Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Latino's don't like blacks, so who cares.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see where u coming from, but a life is a life.
    #This is not my battle tho.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yooo this ? is just silly
    Who trains these idiots?

Dude probably doesn't have the greatest command of the English language and kept putting his hands up and down cause he didn't understand the commands being shouted at him.

Anyway here's hoping the "right" people get killed more by these ? or else ain't ? gon change
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

MOSt dont...but yeah...objectively speaking it was defiantly cold blooded murder.

But they dont give a ? about us so...does it tug at my heart strings? NOPE.

Im over it already. Next thread.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These ? are so filled with fear that a man pulling a hat off makes them jump and unload their loaded weapon so recklessly. At one point is the system that's training these asswholes get torn down and revamped?
  • D0wn
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i love how yall can speak for all of latinos.. i could go delve deeper but ? it.. there are black Latinos... beyeut thats besides the point.

And blk Latinos are treated like ? by their contemporary Latinos.
    If y'all would know what blk latinos go through, ya would thank ? for y'all situation in the States. Cause It's that bad.

• mackanaven
    mackanaven Members Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I smell bacon.
  • D0wn
    Options
    I wanna see how the latino community response tho....
  • Nkombe
    Nkombe Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Options
    Black or brown, pigs will shoot you. It's sickening regardless of who it is.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i love how yall can speak for all of latinos.. i could go delve deeper but ? it.. there are black Latinos... but thats besides the point.
    Anytime somebody says "...but ? it" they're one comment away from going the ? off.

TALK YO ? SWAY PLAY!

Nah bruh, it aint ALL Latinos. But when the Mike Brown and Trayvon ? was happening Latino support wasnt exactly promenent. Can we at least admit that? Is there anything wrong with people focusing on THEM and letting others worry about their selves? I think black people are finally realizing we're alone in this ? .

Sure we have some allies but their were more Latinos taking the white cops side than were taking the black victim's side. Or am I wrong?
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Certain Latinos are connected genetically to the Black gods

So the people generalizing Latinos need to ? ...
  • D0wn
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    i love how yall can speak for all of latinos.. i could go delve deeper but ? it.. there are black Latinos... but thats besides the point.
    Anytime somebody says "...but ? it" they're one comment away from going the ? off.

TALK YO ? SWAY PLAY!

Nah bruh, it aint ALL Latinos. But when the Mike Brown and Trayvon ? was happening Latino support wasnt exactly promenent. Can we at least admit that? Is there anything wrong with people focusing on THEM and letting others worry about their selves? I think black people are finally realizing we're alone in this ? .

Sure we have some allies but their were more Latinos taking the white cops side than were taking the black victim's side. Or am I wrong?

They was calling ? Maracons and ? ....
  • D0wn
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

I hate when people on here say this dumb ? .

Yes every single Latino person (even the Black ones) dislikes every single Black person. With no exceptions at all. Every one. That's exactly how the world works.

In Latin america, after a certain shade/skin tone, u r not considered latino. U r consider African, and are told to go back to Africa. Or in the case of D.R, Haiti.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »

Some Black's don't like Black's either. That man could've easily been a black man hell a purple man nonetheless murder is murder.

It's not about color when that bullet hit that ass the cops are killing minorities like its no big deal.

Every now and then, you drop some jewels bruh.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Divided we fall...
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Yes every single Latino person (even the Black ones) dislikes every single Black person. With no exceptions at all. Every one. That's exactly how the world works.

In Latin america, after a certain shade/skin tone, u r not considered latino. U r consider African, and are told to go back to Africa. Or in the case of D.R, Haiti.

"Latino" is an American thing/classification.

But to your point yeah again every single Latin American feels like that. All of them with no exception so ? each and every Latin American equally.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • D0wn
    Options

But to your point yeah again every single Latin American feels like that. All of them with no exception so ? each and every Latin American equally.
    not all of them. a majority of them.

but ? wanna be on that buddy buddy ? .

"But but were both minorities".

When the Trayvons, n Mike Browns, n Gardners n Tamirs. Were getting contemporarily lynched. And we were hurting.
    Your minorities buddies were calling u maracons ... some buddy.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blacks have been put on the backburner for now....they going hard on the Browns
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

not all of them. a majority of them.

but ? wanna be on that buddy buddy ? .

"But but were both minorities".

When the Trayvons, n Mike Browns, n Gardners n Tamirs. Were getting contemporarily lynched. And we were hurting.
    Your minorities buddies were calling u maracons ... some buddy.

Yep every single one. Not a single one was showing support. Not one. At all. So ? all of them equally.