Historic deal reached with Iran to limit nuclear program

janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
TOPICAL POSTING

Historic deal reached with Iran to limit nuclear program
VIENNA — The United States and other world powers reached a historic agreement with Iran here Tuesday, aimed at preventing the Islamic republic from building a nuclear weapon in return for the lifting of sanctions that have isolated the country and hobbled its economy.

President Obama, after announcing the agreement in Washington, quickly turned to what may be the more arduous task of selling the deal to skeptical lawmakers and U.S. allies in the Middle East.

“This deal demonstrates that American diplomacy can bring about real and meaningful change,” Obama told a nation that awoke Tuesday morning to news of the accord. He said it would ensure that Iran had no possibility to achieve rapid nuclear weapons “breakout” for at least the next decade.

“Every pathway to a nuclear weapon is cut off,” Obama said.

In Vienna news briefings and Washington conference calls, senior administration officials joined the president in hailing the agreement — which limits Iran’s nuclear capability and imposes strict international monitoring in exchange for lifting international economic sanctions — as a way to make America and the world more secure.

Officials suggested that the deal might also help build momentum inside Iran to move away from radicalism and toward greater ties with the West.

“This deal offers an opportunity to move in a new direction. We should seize it,” Obama said. As a first order of business, one senior administration official said, Iran should seize “this important opportunity to make a humanitarian gesture” by releasing three jailed Americans it is holding and help find a fourth who disappeared there years ago.

Obama called congressional leaders late Monday to apprise them of the deal, and officials said he would expand his outreach in the coming days to include other key lawmakers. Under compromise legislation he signed in May, Obama must now give Congress 60 days to review the deal before using his executive power to waive statutory sanctions.

“I welcome scrutiny of the details of this agreement,” Obama said. But he warned that he would veto any legislation that tried to prevent its implementation. “We do not have to accept an inevitable spiral into conflict. And we certainly shouldn’t seek it,” he said in response to Republican charges of appeasement.

House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) said Tuesday that Obama had “abandoned” initial goals to strip Iran of its nuclear capability. “If, in fact, it’s as bad a deal as I think it is at this moment, we’ll do everything that we can to stop it,” Boehner told reporters.

Obama dismissed such threats as “posturing,” adding that “tough talk from Washington does not solve problems.”

Obama also called leaders in the Middle East, officials said. Reaction from U.S. allies ranged from concern among the Sunni monarchies of the Persian Gulf that lifting sanctions would increase Shiite Iran’s efforts to expand its powers, to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s assessment that Iran would not only get a nuclear weapon out of the agreement, but also a “cash bonanza” to continue support for terrorism once sanctions are gone.

Secretary of State John F. Kerry, who spearheaded the talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, said the calls to keep pressuring Iran, rather than seeking a diplomatic solution, were unrealistic.

“Sanctioning Iran until it capitulates makes for a powerful talking point, and a pretty good political speech,” Kerry told reporters here. “But it’s not achievable outside a world of fantasy.”
Which “red lines” drawn during negotiations ended up in the deal View Graphic

In Tehran, a live broadcast of Obama’s White House remarks was interrupted for an address by President Hassan Rouhani, who said that “all of our objectives” had been realized in the planned lifting of sanctions and in what he said was the world’s recognition of Iran’s nuclear program for civilian use.

Rouhani also suggested that Iran’s relations with the world, particularly the West, would change. “If this deal is implemented correctly,” he said, “we can gradually eliminate distrust.”

There was no immediate public comment from Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who in some recent statements took a hard line on what Tehran would accept in an agreement.

The final accord came at the end of marathon Monday meetings that stretched past midnight, the culmination of more than two weeks of up-and-down endgame negotiations that the administration insisted it was willing to abandon if its own red lines were not accepted.

The agreement will not take effect until Iran is certified by the International Atomic Energy Agency to have met its terms — something Iran says will happen in a matter of weeks but that Western diplomats have said could take at least until the end of the year. Administration officials said a new U.N. Security Council resolution, which would incorporate old sanctions resolutions and the conditions for lifting them, has been drafted and could be introduced within the next week. A U.S. trade embargo, as well as other non-nuclear U.S. sanctions, would not be affected.

Historic deal reached with Iran to limit nuclear program"]...
discuss

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a horrible deal and long term will lead to war as it was prophesied. desert by the sea= arabia, Elam home of is in today's iran

isa 21

1 The burden of the desert of the sea. As whirlwinds in the south pass through; so it cometh from the desert, from a terrible land.

2 A grievous vision is declared unto me; the treacherous dealer dealeth treacherously, and the spoiler spoileth. Go up, O Elam: besiege, O Media; all the sighing thereof have I made to cease.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's funny to me is this is literally the exact argument republicans make when it comes to guns in the U.S. "If you increase gun control, it'll only make getting weapons easier for the Black market". So that same logic doesn't work for Nukes?? This is the hypocrisy of the GOP. ? only applies to others
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    The deal is just fine, what's the alternative, another round of sanctions the world mostly doesn't want?

Iran has almost a trillion dollars worth of oil, maybe more, the world needs that oil and they told America to make a deal. Obama made the right choice, there is no evidence Iran is making a nuclear weapon anyway. I support the deal, let Israel and Republicans whine and scream all day about it.

Iran isn't a threat to America, they hate America's govt but so does most of the Middle East and Russia.
  • kingblaze84
    According to American generals themselves, Russia is the biggest threat to America anyway. If we can live with a nuclear Russia, we can live with a possible nuclear Iran.
  • zzombie
    According to American generals themselves, Russia is the biggest threat to America anyway. If we can live with a nuclear Russia, we can live with a possible nuclear Iran.

until they bomb israel and the world goes into total chaos.
  • zzombie
    This is the dumbest moves by a president in a long time, worse than the war in iraq and will have far reaching problems.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    zzombie wrote: »

If Iran and Israel fight it out among themselves, let them. Israel is getting close to Saudi Arabia now, I'm sure Saudi Arabia and Israel can have fun fighting Iran, America can sit back and deal with its own damn problems.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Iran and Israel fight it out among themselves, let them. Israel is getting close to Saudi Arabia now, I'm sure Saudi Arabia and Israel can have fun fighting Iran, America can sit back and deal with its own damn problems.

With Israel involved, it won't.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015

If America gets involved in ANOTHER Middle Eastern war, I'll just laugh. If America wants beef with ISIS, Russia, Chinese govt hackers, Taliban, Al-Qaeda, and Iran all at the same time, I will seriously just laugh.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheaper gas, I'm sold.
  • kingblaze84
    British foreign minister: Israel would not have been happy with any kind of peace deal

http://news.yahoo.com/uk-minister-israel-wants-permanent-standoff-iran-162850770.html

LONDON (AP) — Britain's foreign secretary said Wednesday that Israel wants a "permanent standoff" with Iran and suggests it wouldn't have welcomed any kind of nuclear deal.

Philip Hammond told Parliament that Israel "doesn't want any deal with Iran."

Hammond replied: "I think the question you have to ask yourself is what kind of a deal would have been welcomed in Tel Aviv." He added: "Israel wants a permanent state of standoff and I don't believe that's in the interests of the region, I don't believe it's in our interest."

--On that note, I wonder how soon Israel will try to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities now. Netanyahu said today his nation will not be bound to any agreement.
  • zzombie

iran and israel fighting among themselves with weapons of mass destruction is too big of a risk and the problems of one region can quickly become the problems of another the world wars set historical precedence for that.
  • zzombie

If America gets involved in ANOTHER Middle Eastern war, I'll just laugh. If America wants beef with ISIS, Russia, Chinese govt hackers, Taliban, Al-Qaeda, and Iran all at the same time, I will seriously just laugh.

what you don't seem to under stand is that we have beef and there is no way to ? out of it when you are on the top that is how it it.
  • zzombie
    In 15 years when iran gives nuclear material to some nut job and they set that ? off in america all you people who think this is a good deal should be the ones to die. This is a horrible deal and when it comes to foreign policy obama has been a terrible president.

just look at all the ? ups that have happened during his two terms:

1)russia has begun smelling it's ? again even with a soft ass economy
    2)Libya was destabalized
    3) china has been allowed to scare it's surrounding nation without us forcefully making it clear that we won't take that ? and they have clearly stepped up their spying and stealing from american businesses
    4) We told the government of syria there was going to be a red line assad basically said ? you and your line and we did nothing about it accept train people who only turned against us and became isis.
    5) We got out of iraq and left a ? government in charge thus leading to isis gaining power there.
    6) we are currently letting turkey ? with our goals is iraq

How many more foreign policy L are we going to rack up before this mixed breed is gone????
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Iran attacks Israel, everyone will lose their minds.

If Israel attacks Iran, no one will give a ? .
  • kingblaze84

what you don't seem to under stand is that we have beef and there is no way to ? out of it when you are on the top that is how it it.

If Iran is so bad, then let the Arabs and the Israelis take care of them. I'm sure Russia will help Iran and its oil supplies survive.
  • zzombie

If Iran is so bad, then let the Arabs and the Israelis take care of them. I'm sure Russia will help Iran and its oil supplies survive.

Why are you always so willing to let other people especially our enemies take care of problems we caused??? american under the foolish leadership of bush and then the weak and idealistic obama administration caused all the fuckery over there. Now you want russia to come in and be a fix up man.

you want the arabs and israelis to take care of iran??? and while this is going on what is happening to the world wide oil market?? what about the thousands of people who will be fleeing the middle east what will happen to them. They will run to europe causing more social unrest and a CONTINUED rise in far right conservative political parties which is already happening in europe, you want to make that situation worse.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Them people "claiming" Israel aren't the real Israelites anyway.. ? em'..
    And anything that was prophesied will eventually come to pass anyway.
    Trust in the Most High and keep pushing forward..
    There's no need to be afraid..
  • zzombie
    illedout wrote: »

Them people "claiming" Israel aren't the real Israelites anyway.. ? em'..
    And anything that was prophesied will eventually come to pass anyway.
    Trust in the Most High and keep pushing forward..
    There's no need to be afraid..

I live far away from israel so i have nothing to be afraid of however i also don't want to see millions of people die when it can be avoided. To be an israelite all you have to do is follow the religion that is all.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015

Why are you always so willing to let other people especially our enemies take care of problems we caused??? american under the foolish leadership of bush and then the weak and idealistic obama administration caused all the fuckery over there. Now you want russia to come in and be a fix up man.

you want the arabs and israelis to take care of iran??? and while this is going on what is happening to the world wide oil market?? what about the thousands of people who will be fleeing the middle east what will happen to them. They will run to europe causing more social unrest and a CONTINUED rise in far right conservative political parties which is already happening in europe, you want to make that situation worse.

You agree America caused many of the problems there, so what makes you think America has a chance of making things there better? Is Iraq any better after playing Warcraft over there? Is Afghanistan any better after playing a ? version of the Neverending Story there? American and global companies are benefitting from the many minerals being taken from Afghanistan but ? with Iran on top of that is just greed and a waste of resources.

So yes, I don't mind other nations doing more to handle Iran, if some nations are really that worried about them. 4.5 million Iraqis or more are refugees due to the Iraq War. America indirectly created ISIS along with Turkey and the Saudis by funding Syrian rebels with weapons and ammo. We know what ISIS does now......

So hell yeah I want other nations to do more. Russia and the Chinese can handle the oil markets and supplies if things get out of control. I doubt Iran would let America handle its oil supplies if Israel goes nuts, and that's because America makes things worse in the region, America is known as a terrorist nation in most of the Middle East, and deserves that reputation. Arab nations may complain about the deal and gang up on Iran but if Russia, China and Iran put a stomping on them, then they would have to deal with the consequences. Iran had the support of China and Russia on not letting nuclear inspections be mandatory because once again, there is no evidence Iran is building a nuclear weapon. Research it for yourself.
  • janklow
    what's funny to me is this is literally the exact argument republicans make when it comes to guns in the U.S. "If you increase gun control, it'll only make getting weapons easier for the Black market".
    this is not the exact argument they make; leaving aside the constitutional issue, it's that increasing gun control punishes the law-abiding and helps the black market.

ps. it's not just Republicans ? about the deal
  • janklow
    In 15 years when iran gives nuclear material to some nut job and they set that ? off in america all you people who think this is a good deal should be the ones to die.
    the major problem with this argument (not saying it COULDN'T happen) is you already had a country that was flagrantly in bed with nut jobs pumping nuclear weapon technology across the globe to the highest bidder. hello, Pakistan!

...and in fairness, it still hasn't resulted in America getting nuked.

i don't think Obama is a great foreign policy dude and at this point in this administration, i am concerned they're doing ? for his legacy as opposed to the merits of said ? ... but still.
  • kingblaze84
    North Korea has nuclear technology too.....but they're not crazy enough to use it. Iran isn't either, assuming they are building a weapon.
  • zzombie
    janklow wrote: »
    In 15 years when iran gives nuclear material to some nut job and they set that ? off in america all you people who think this is a good deal should be the ones to die.
    the major problem with this argument (not saying it COULDN'T happen) is you already had a country that was flagrantly in bed with nut jobs pumping nuclear weapon technology across the globe to the highest bidder. hello, Pakistan!

...and in fairness, it still hasn't resulted in America getting nuked.

i don't think Obama is a great foreign policy dude and at this point in this administration, i am concerned they're doing ? for his legacy as opposed to the merits of said ? ... but still.

The less nut jobs with nuclear weapons the better and the military establishment of Pakistan is no where near as crazy as the one in iran. Iran is a total theocracy the religious leadership control all aspects of it, the same cannot be said for pakistan
  • zzombie
    North Korea has nuclear technology too.....but they're not crazy enough to use it. Iran isn't either, assuming they are building a weapon.

north korea does not have the missile technology to attack anywhere too far they can attack south korea and maybe some parts of japan and that's it and despite being evil as ? they are still rational to a certain extent

Iran however might not be because it's a islamic theocracy.