Fargo (Season 2)

Options
1235»

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't mind the alien subplot. Its all in good fun. It shows the show has a sense of humor n doesn't take itself to serious.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy how nuanced this show is. looking back at the scene in season 1 where lou mentioned the Sioux falls incident, he basically forshadowed what occurred. even with the UFO. he told malvo "I'll tell you the details, but it'll sound like i made 'em up". and "I saw something that year, i aint never seen. before or since"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3NTFnnaPC8
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was crazy!

But the UFO was random as ? , same with the sighting in episode 1. Maybe if there had been talk around the towns folk of UFO sightings throughout the season or something,.... but nothing. Just a random UFO showing up to save the cops life? I need more.

Everything else was good. But that ? was mad random.
  • DNB1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Finale tonight...

But then I think I'ma binge watch again before binge watching season 1. Seems like that is the best order.
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    ? was crazy!

But the UFO was random as ? , same with the sighting in episode 1. Maybe if there had been talk arou folk of UFO sightings throughout tseason or something,.... but nothing. Just a random UFO showing up to save

cops life? I need more.

Everything else was good. But that ? was mad random.

There were several mentions throughout the season..I can think of 2 off top
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was a hell of an open.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Granpa invented Emojis lolololl
  • Will Munny
    Options
    After the end of the season, Lorne Malvo >>>>>>>>>>>
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Did anyone else see the symbolism in the closing of Milligans story
  • Ounceman
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Satisfying finale. with so many intense and gripping sequences from previous episodes, I had a feeling they would opt for a more somber, melancholic, reflective episode.

So betsy didn't end up succumbing to cancer after all. her dream sequence was very reminiscent to the one from raising Arizona. and with all the coen brothers references, I think this was intentional. nice to see molly, gus, and the older lou again

R.I.P. to Ed. sucks he couldn't see his dream of owning the butcher shop and helping create the the run-of-the-mill middle class Midwestern family come to fruition

Cant believe I'm going to fix my mouth to say this, but Kirsten dunst's performance of peggy deserves a first ballot nomination and subsequent emmy win. not only has she overwhelmingly delivered all season but the emotional breakdown this episode solidified the acting range I never knew she had

So Hank's drawings turned out to be symbols of the English language. Or basically him trying to make sense of all the death that engulfs him from all angles

Boy I swear PACs are a trip. you have a man as resourceful and cunning as mike milligan. who basically outlived bulo, one half of the twins. took out the undertaker. ricky g at the end. also took out otto who was at the helm of the Gerhardt operation. And his reward? a position as an accountant. talk about anti-climactic. but when one looks back at that, you can say the character that met the most tragic ending was mike. to basically go from a ruthless mob figure to a neutered desk worker is a fate worse than death. he also told him to change his wardrobe and cut his hair. stripping him of all of his individuality. that was definitely poetically fatal.

I wonder if Charlie will be in season 3?

All in all this finale (as with the rest of the season) was phenomenal. the only thing I would say that doesn't work for me is hanzee's ending. I don't have so much of a problem with him going on to change his identity. but more of a problem with who he will become. the name on the card said moses Tripoli. to all my season 1 heads, if you go back youll remember he was who numbers and ? answered to. (the showing of the 2 deaf kids playing baseball was dope. as we see that's who they were when they were little). but that person was so uncharacteristic to how hanzee is right now. I don't know, that seems like a bit of a stretch

But aside from that minor quibble, this has been one hell of a season. it fired on all cylinders with superb acting, writing, directing, editing, and soundtrack scoring. it trounced true detective's 2nd season with ease and basically schooled them on how to deliver an anthology series. ill go so far to say that its the best season ive seen since breaking bad's finale. only thing left to say is, bring on season 3

• playmaker88
    Options
    I was on Neogaf and this is
    latest?cb=20140522224607

Hanzee who he became.

http://fargo.wikia.com/wiki/Moses_Tripoli
  • Ounceman
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was on Neogaf and this is
    latest?cb=20140522224607

Hanzee who he became.

http://fargo.wikia.com/wiki/Moses_Tripoli

yea him. I mean come on. I'm really struggling trying to imagine an unfuckwittable character turning into a lard ass like that. they don't even seem remotely similar. and then the way he gets killed by malvo. smh, very cartoonish. doesn't seem true to the character. I would say that was my main gripe about this season. even more so than the UFO's
  • playmaker88
    Options
    He was done he wanted that position of privilege it makes perfect sense to be divorced from his former life in such a dramatic fashion.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    I don't really see Hanzee turning into that dude.
  • DNB1
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Satisfying finale. with so many intense and gripping sequences from previous episodes, I had a feeling they would opt for a more somber, melancholic, reflective episode.

So betsy didn't end up succumbing to cancer after all. her dream sequence was very reminiscent to the one from raising Arizona. and with all the coen brothers references, I think this was intentional. nice to see molly, gus, and the older lou again

R.I.P. to Ed. sucks he couldn't see his dream of owning the butcher shop and helping create the the run-of-the-mill middle class Midwestern family come to fruition

Cant believe I'm going to fix my mouth to say this, but Kirsten dunst's performance of peggy deserves a first ballot nomination and subsequent emmy win. not only has she overwhelmingly delivered all season but the emotional breakdown this episode solidified the acting range I never knew she had

So Hank's drawings turned out to be symbols of the English language. Or basically him trying to make sense of all the death that engulfs him from all angles

Boy I swear PACs are a trip. you have a man as resourceful and cunning as mike milligan. who basically outlived bulo, one half of the twins. took out the undertaker. ricky g at the end. also took out otto who was at the helm of the Gerhardt operation. And his reward? a position as an accountant. talk about anti-climactic. but when one looks back at that, you can say the character that met the most tragic ending was mike. to basically go from a ruthless mob figure to a neutered desk worker is a fate worse than death. he also told him to change his wardrobe and cut his hair. stripping him of all of his individuality. that was definitely poetically fatal.

All in all this finale (as with the rest of the season) was phenomenal. the only thing I would say that doesn't work for me is hanzee's ending. I don't have so much of a problem with him going on to change his identity. but more of a problem with who he will become. the name on the card said moses Tripoli. to all my season 1 heads, if you go back youll remember he was who numbers and ? answered to. (the showing of the 2 deaf kids playing baseball was dope. as we see that's who they were when they were little). but that person was so uncharacteristic to how hanzee is right now. I don't know, that seems like a bit of a stretch

But aside from that minor quibble, this has been one hell of a season. it fired on all cylinders with superb acting, writing, directing, editing, and soundtrack scoring. it trounced true detective's 2nd season with ease and basically schooled them on how to deliver an anthology series. ill go so far to say that its the best season ive seen since breaking bad's finale. only thing left to say is, bring on season 3

Always appreciate your drops fam....but...but what about the aliens damn it???!!!!
  • Ounceman
    edited December 2015
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    safe to say this was the best tv show of 2015.

Easily the best show. Well between this and the leftovers. That's been receiving rave reviews as well. But I haven't watched it yet because I was so invested in this show. Now that it's over, what better time to start than now?

DNB1 wrote: »
    Ounceman wrote: »

Always appreciate your drops fam....but...but what about the aliens damn it???!!!!

We'll as far as the aliens go. I'm assuming it's thematic significance has to do with 3 things. 1st, Basically Noah Hawley has been blatant and heavy handed with his coen brother homages that were scattered throughout this season. And the aliens are no exception. As one can remember they were a small storyline in The Man Who Wasn't There.

2nd, I believe they were also included because it was a true to life encounter by some in that same region in the same year. Minnesota was a hotbed for UFO activity at that time. Google the "val johnson incident" and you'll see what I'm referring to. Many things in the story draw strong parallels to the show. It occurred in 79, it was in a rural town near the Minnesota-South Dakota bordeline. Val johnson was a sheriff deputy the same way lou was. And he saw a ball of light hovered around him, that changed course of events by leaving him unconscious to be found later.

And lastly, I believe the UFO'S can be viewed as a harbinger of death itself. Think about the main characters that interacted with it and what the result of that interaction ultimately ended up being?

So yea, I don't think the inclusion of the aliens were entirely arbitrary.
  • Ounceman
    Options
    Also, it was just revealed, that season 3's story will be focused on the "selfie-oriented culture" we have today. which makes sense, seeing how it will be set in the present time. it will also present an interesting dynamic with the location of the show. as hawley stated, that region seems very prosaic and community oriented. only downside, is it wont be ready until 2017.

Fargo's critically-acclaimed second season wrapped up last night, and the show's braintrust — FX president John Landgraf and executive producers Noah Hawley, Warren Littlefield, and John Cameron — revealed new details about the dark comedy's next batch of episodes in an associated conference call this morning. According to showrunner Noah Hawley, the show's third season is set in 2010 — four years after its first season — and focuses on what he calls "selfie-oriented culture."

"I like the idea what we're now living in a very selfie-oriented culture... it feels like a social dynamic that is very antithetical to the Lutheran pragmatism of the region," said Hawley. "So many of our crime stories are based on the difficulty that people have expressing themselves and communicating... I like the idea of setting up these pragmatic and humble people against the culture of narcissism and [seeing] what that generates for us, story-wise."

Hawley also noted that Fargo won't be back on the air until 2017, a necessary consequence of the series' winter setting. "It's a winter show, for better or worse, and... there isn't time to shoot another year before this winter is over,' said Hawley. "I've written the first hour and we're about halfway through breaking the season, and we'll be writing over the next few months... we'll be shooting in November and hopefully back on the air in the spring of 2017."

The gap between seasons two and three might seem more like a chasm at first glance, but the space between the first season and second season premieres spanned roughly a year and a half. If Fargo's third season premieres in April 2017, it'll be consistent with the show's practice. And even though Fargo's taking a year off, Hawley's still going to have a ton on his plate: he's also working on a show within the X-Men universe, a Cat's Cradle adaptation, and other projects, all for FX.

http://news.yahoo.com/fargo-third-season-going-selfie-211443640.html
  • marc123
    Options
    interesting finale...classic Fargo.
  • marc123
    Options
    Mike deserved better tho...
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finale just wrapped ? up.

This is seriously a rewatchable season.It was action packed

Dunst did her thing acting wise.

They kinda reaching making Hazee be the mob boss in the future and having him meet the hitmen as kids.

Loved seeing the ppl from season 1 in the flashback

? up how they dd Bokeem.A fate worse than death.

There was deep ? going on about economic change and race and women's rights.

• BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching this ? again. On esp 5 and still entertaining AF.

Knowing what unfolds and seeing Mike and the G-Brothers starring down each other in esp 2 was DOPEEEEEEEE!
  • Ounceman
    Options
    BIGG WILL wrote: »
    Watching this ? again. On esp 5 and still entertaining AF.

Knowing what unfolds and seeing Mike and the G-Brothers starring down each other in esp 2 was DOPEEEEEEEE!

Agree. I still hold the opinion that season 2 was the best season overall. It had everything. Great acting, geat characters, great plot and storylines, great soundtrack, and solid cinematography