How Much Would the Development of Civilization Have Been Different

Options
Stiff
Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
If Humans weren't born with the biological capability of speech?

Would civilization even have been possible? Would written language have even been conceivable?

How much of an edge would we still have over the rest of the organisms on Earth?

Comments

• phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We'd communicate through actions and suggestive behavior
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Humans would have been set back but we're a resilient species though, I think eventually we would have still had our current ? over other animals. Written language would have been improved if anything, if we could not speak. More emphasis would have gone into writing or symbols but progress for everything would be slower
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Humans would have been set back but we're a resilient species though, I think eventually we would have still had our current ? over other animals. Written language would have been improved if anything, if we could not speak. More emphasis would have gone into writing or symbols but progress for everything would be slower

And actually you could argue that things would get accomplished quicker. There'd be less room for talking n bullshittin
  • Stiff
    Options
    phukkyou2 wrote: »

And actually you could argue that things would get accomplished quicker. There'd be less room for talking n bullshittin

But there'd be less room for persuasion at the same time
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sign language.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    phukkyou2 wrote: »

But there'd be less room for persuasion at the same time

Yeah that's a very solid point. It's not really what we say that persuades people in person, it's how we say it. That's why I think progress would have been slower but on the other hand, I do believe there would be less conflict if we couldn't speak. Most fights I've ever seen tend to happen because someone is rude or ? up in how someone says ? .
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Sign language.
    co-signed

• Stiff
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Sign language.

So there would have never been a telephone...so would the internet have been possible?
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think we'd be very similar to the other African apes (chimpanzees and gorillas) if we weren't capable of any form of language. I think we'd just come up with sign language if we weren't capable of speech specifically and I don't think the progression of human culture would be that different.
  • Stiff
    Options
    Y'all are making it sound like vocalization is no big deal

We're talking no radio...no telephones...without telephones is the internet possible?

Communication wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective...I'm sure it's waaaaay harder to rally people around somebody signing than someone giving a passionate speech. Fewer people can be communicated with at a time.

Without spoken language is written language possible?
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options

We're talking no radio...no telephones...without telephones is the internet possible?

Communication wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective...I'm sure it's waaaaay harder to rally people around somebody signing than someone giving a passionate speech. Fewer people can be communicated with at a time.

I think I was undermining how different things would be. My point was that some form of 'civilization' would still develop with a non-vocal form of language.

I don't understand why written language would not be possible without spoken language. There are people who are deaf or dumb and communicate through sign language and can read and write. Blind people also have braille (sp?). I don't know if the internet would have developed but I don't see why it couldn't have.
  • Stiff
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »

I think I was undermining how different things would be. My point was that some form of 'civilization' would still develop with a non-vocal form of language.

I don't understand why written language would not be possible without spoken language. There are people who are deaf or dumb and communicate through sign language and can read and write. Blind people also have braille (sp?). I don't know if the internet would have developed but I don't see why it couldn't have.

I know it's possible to learn written language if you're deaf and dumb but is it possible to create a written language that's not based on a spoken language?

And the reason I question whether the internet would exist is because it descended from the telephone and the first internet connections were based off of LAN lines...with no vocal communication no telephones so no telephone lines
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »

I know it's possible to learn written language if you're deaf and dumb but is it possible to create a written language that's not based on a spoken language?

And the reason I question whether the internet would exist is because it descended from the telephone and the first internet connections were based off of LAN lines...with no vocal communication no telephones so no telephone lines

I think there would have been another way around to eventually getting the internet but I admit I'm throwing a Hail Mary on this (or committing a fumble).

I mean, think of how miraculous the invention of picture recording or sound recording is. If humans can be innovative enough to do things like that, I truly feel there would be another way around to creating the internet if we couldn't speak. But I do believe if that was the case, it would have taken probably another few hundreds years longer. Maybe even a thousand.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think about this often. We might be sneezing and coughing as small talk, sign language to flirt, and dancing more often. That ? would be hilarious.